Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

NRL rule changes approved

4 hours ago, aj1908 said:

they need to be thinking how to promote more running and passing not kicking.

tactical kicking is kind of boring 

I prefer running to kicking too, but I do like a bit of colour rather than endless monotone

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I do imagine that the adjustment will be throughout the game, yes, just not acted upon by the team in possession, if at all, until late in the game.

You’re right, high risk plays are predominantly taken by teams either on the brink of losing (otherwise teams that are blowing their opponents away). Cut out passes, chip and chase, flick passes, blind side runs etc are not enacted upon because there is a rule to favour a team taking that option though.

I'm not so sure that it will only be used late in the game, or that only the losing team will be tempted to try it. Really good field kickers will see it as a way of gaining 40 metres (and keeping possession, without hammering their own forwards) but, of course, they'll have to be confident they can pull it off. One of the ways of tempting players to try the unexpected is to offer a significant reward, for success. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I prefer running to kicking too, but I do like a bit of colour rather than endless monotone

the game now is too structured.  every body works through their tackles, kicks long and waits for a mistake or a penalty for a scoring chance.  its kind of boring.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Time will tell @fighting irish. BTW, is that name a reference to Aberavon?

Yes it is, although the  club no longer exists. 

On 12/12/2019 at 17:38, fighting irish said:

Yes it is, although the  club no longer exists. 

Yes I know. I was at what was potentially the first game between Aberavon Fighting Irish and I think Bridgend Blue Bulls. It was a home game for AFI, clubhouse was across the road, about 1,500 people there. Some famous names were playing too, Devereaux and Bateman are the first that come to mind.

I reckon I’ve still got the one sheet match programme somewhere.

It was a great day.

Edited by Sports Prophet

Well well, I was probably there myself. Small world.