Is Amazon Prime bidding for SL?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Every pub I've been in over the past couple of days (I'm a student not an alcoholic!) has had the amazon games on. 

I think the point with amazon and any other broadcasters is that they'd be complimentary to what sky do rather than replacing it.

About half of ours down here have them, and there's a few significant differences, firstly it's only one month of subscription needed for PL football, not an entire 9 months, secondly, SLeague is an irrelevance in 80% of the country, pubs won't buy an Amazon subscription for a sport that very few/no people watch in the area (how many southern pubs are going to shell out £5k+ to show Super League?), whereas if SL is on sky they'll put it on because they already have the rights.

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

SKY's attitude towards the broadcast deals has always been based on them being the biggest of the big spenders. That wouldn't be the case with the likes of Amazon (for instance).

Sky took a hit when BT started throwing cash around and getting their share of the Football pie. That wasn't all that long ago, but it has shaken up sports broadcasting in the UK no end.

Expecting the broadcast market to stand still is not clever. In the early days of satellite/cable, topical comedians used to make jokes about the pitiful number of Sky/BSB subscribers.

That changed very quickly, and soon the traditional channels were being stripped of much of the sporting content they'd taken for granted for decades. RIP BBC's Grandstand and ITV's World of Sport.

Now new rivals are looking to pick cherries from Sky's portfolio, and Amazon is one of the richest.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anyhoo, if Amazon did get SL and made a decent job of presenting it, I'd regard that as almost as good as paying their taxes. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

As an aside anyone got sky sports mobile pass on Now TV?

I have it and it is 5 quid a month for Sky Sports News, Action, Arena and Premier league on steaming devices (phones laptops and ipads NOT TVs) 

It's basically all sky's rugby content SL, NRL and Union along with PL football and NFL for £5 a month........pretty good imo especially as i watch most sports on a device nowadays with my kids hogging the TV.

Plus you can cancel it whenever you want and usually get offered a cheaper deal whenever you cancel it anyway........it's currently costing me £1 a month.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

11 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

As an aside anyone got sky sports mobile pass on Now TV?

I have it and it is 5 quid a month for Sky Sports News, Action, Arena and Premier league on steaming devices (phones laptops and ipads NOT TVs) 

It's basically all sky's rugby content SL, NRL and Union along with PL football and NFL for £5 a month........pretty good imo especially as i watch most sports on a device nowadays with my kids hogging the TV.

Plus you can cancel it whenever you want and usually get offered a cheaper deal whenever you cancel it anyway........it's currently costing me £1 a month.

Shame it's not for TVs - can you cast the stream to a bigger screen?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, LR23 said:

Yes - for the Wigan semi final game I set it up for my dad and chromecast it to his TV.

Oh, so no really obstructive restrictions, then. Good to know. My old laptop's set up as a media PC attached the TV anyway, so I could get it on-screen via HDMI, assuming the elderly machine's up to streaming the Sky video.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I would guess that Amazon made it as cheap and easy as possible for everyone this time round. They may not do so in future.

And I'd also suggest we should be more looking at how completely and totally the ATP tour and US Open vanished once going to Amazon. People will seek out the Premier League. Most won't 'seek' anything else, it needs to be pretty much in front of the casual viewer.

Yes, but I don't expect this to be a wholesale move to Amazon ever going forwards. Regardless it helps being on the same channel as football.

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Oh, so no really obstructive restrictions, then. Good to know. My old laptop's set up as a media PC attached the TV anyway, so I could get it on-screen via HDMI, assuming the elderly machine's up to streaming the Sky video.

Better than Sky Go which you can't stream to anything. The picture was surprisingly decent as well. You can download the App to some smart TVs as well.

1 hour ago, Chamey said:

About half of ours down here have them, and there's a few significant differences, firstly it's only one month of subscription needed for PL football, not an entire 9 months, secondly, SLeague is an irrelevance in 80% of the country, pubs won't buy an Amazon subscription for a sport that very few/no people watch in the area (how many southern pubs are going to shell out £5k+ to show Super League?), whereas if SL is on sky they'll put it on because they already have the rights.

Piggybacking on the back of football isn't necessarily bad and as said previously this isn't about a wholesale move to Amazon but perhaps having games that aren't currently shown on Sky shown on a different platform.

Can't see Amazon being too interested in something like one game per week. The point of the Premier League games this week was to drive people to Prime and their retail offering with total access to top flight football for that short period. A lot of people may have made use of the 30 day free trial too so probably a bit of a loss leader.

Something like Magic Weekend, or the play-offs as a package might appeal. Or perhaps if they're lining up more non-RL sports content alongside it then one or two Sunday games each week etc.

I do wonder though whether the current RL demographic might be better suited to the likes of Prime. I'd guess we don't particularly attract high-end advertisers for Sky which would perhaps keeps the value down regardless of viewing figures etc, whereas TV streaming subscriptions and Amazon retail is a bit more closely aligned.

Regardless, it would just be good to have someone other than Sky interested, even if it just keeps them on their toes. I know a lot of people are expecting a lower deal this time but I think we can be a bit more ambitious.

41 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Well according to Talksport (think it may have been Kelner?) this afternoon things seem quite gloomy with Sky having made a substantially reduced offer and are possibly interested in producing a RLRaw type programme.

Are you sure they were talking about Super League or the Championship...?

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Ta but is that ‘confirming’?

It is Twitter chat, and very similar to the kind of thing we've seen predicted with 100% confidence before every (increased) deal renewal. Is there substance to it? Perhaps, perhaps not.

Given the value for money RL represents to Sky, I doubt they could replace us with anything fitting the same timeslot that delivers half as much for the money they pay.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Ta but is that ‘confirming’?

It's confirming that Talksport was talking about the Super League rather than the Championship, which was your question?

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It is Twitter chat, and very similar to the kind of thing we've seen predicted with 100% confidence before every (increased) deal renewal. Is there substance to it? Perhaps, perhaps not.

Given the value for money RL represents to Sky, I doubt they could replace us with anything fitting the same timeslot that delivers half as much for the money they pay.

Could be a lot of fuss about nothing, but we've more or less reached peak sports TV market across most of the developed world, especially in the UK. Sky aren't gaining subscribers, another £10m/year for SuperLeague would have to come from somewhere else.

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Indeed. It's awfully odd that people place such stock on what random people on twitter say and rumours that probably originate from doomongers on forums such as this.

Archived