Is Amazon Prime bidding for SL?

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Indeed. It's awfully odd that people place such stock on what random people on twitter say and rumours that probably originate from doomongers on forums such as this.

Ever watched the X-Files?

x-files-grey-t.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Here is the Talksport broadcast in question, 10 mins into the 15:30-16:00 segment 

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1575464400/1575473400/

Make up your own minds as to the veracity of Martin Kelner’s claims.

He sounds absolutely clueless and had no idea what he is talking about. He admits as much and it's purely opinion and guesswork. I can't believe people are taking much notice of that.

Just now, Damien said:

He sounds absolutely clueless and had no idea what he is talking about. He admits as much and it's purely opinion and guesswork. I can't believe people are taking much notice of that.

See my previous post.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kelner was on again earlier today and said he had spoken to the RFL then says “Sky have said they’re not going to renew it at anything like the same money”. 

Still not convinced Kelner is talking about Super League but rather the Championship, particularly as he goes on to talk about a new Rugby League Raw being looked at.

15:00-15:30 segment, just under seven minutes in 

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1575637200/1575644400 

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Kelner was on again earlier today and said he had spoken to the RFL then says “Sky have said they’re not going to renew it at anything like the same money”. 

Still not convinced Kelner is talking about Super League but rather the Championship, particularly as he goes on to talk about a new Rugby League Raw being looked at.

15:00-15:30 segment, just under seven minutes in 

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1575637200/1575644400 

Yeah like a governing body is going to say that with 2 seasons left on the current deal.

What I want to know is what are the plans for the clubs outside Super League?

As a Swinton Lions fan I want to know if the clubs outside Super League are going to be allowed to get our own TV rights or not.And if we are,what would a potential broadcaster want?Do they want all 25 clubs or not?And let’s not beat round the Bush,the end of the 2021 season is not far away and the time will go quickly.And I am sure speak for fans of other clubs outside Super League as well.Or to put it another way between now and the end of 2021 season that is only roughly about a minimum of 25-26(ok give or take)home games left before potentially we say goodbye to some clubs,for good.

So come on then.

WE WANT SOME ###### ANSWERS NOW GOD DAMN IT

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Then that may work for SL.. But it doesn’t work for the game.

Whatever the offer is, if the lower tiers are again stuck with a pitiful payoff.

I’ll resign from the game.

Let Sky stick with SL. Don’t give them an option of holding the rights for the lower tiers.

I'm not sure SLE 'own' the Championship and L1 rights to be able to sell them....

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'm not sure SLE 'own' the Championship and L1 rights to be able to sell them....

They don't this time around. The RFL / Championship + L1 clubs would need to agree to go all in with SLE for one deal to be done this time around.

Now on SLE, if they are smart they should literally be testing the market for every possible scenario that the rights can be divided up.  

From 10 teams to 16 teams, exclusivity to having a different rights holder for each match, to the broadcaster covering broadcast costs, to Super League taking on these costs themselves and selling the 'feed' to third parties.

In this market, it is unrealistic for Super League just to expect Sky to make a decent offer for arguably less (Championship & L1 did have a dollar value for Sky, even if they don't really use the rights, plus arguably they aren't guaranteed Catalans & Wolfpack home games anymore), we need to test to see what Sky considers valuable and then test out every other player to see what we can make work.

Unfortunately I don't see us doing this, but I hope I'm wrong.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

On 06/12/2019 at 09:39, LR23 said:

Don't want to sound downbeat .......

"....... but will try my best to make our sport look second best and second rate whilst not looking on the bright side!"

Does TGG really attract only negative people  as fans or more than its fair share of trolls?

This dreary same old same old post can't possibly have meant to be a positive for the game.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

"....... but will try my best to make our sport look second best and second rate whilst not looking on the bright side!"

Does TGG really attract only negative people  as fans or more than its fair share of trolls?

This dreary same old same old post can't possibly have meant to be a positive for the game.

Why cut off the rest of my post(s)? Is it because it didn’t fit your agenda maybe? Could you not find an actual negative troll to make your point? Is this a discussion board or a fan boy page?

Try responding to my other points - I think we can get a decent deal but with a broadcaster and only if we offer exclusivity. I don’t think we have the negotiating capital to offer packages to different platforms and don’t see what we offer digital platforms. I’m open to being convinced otherwise but I’m entitled to an opinion.

13 minutes ago, LR23 said:

Why cut off the rest of my post(s)? Is it because it didn’t fit your agenda maybe? Could you not find an actual negative troll to make your point? Is this a discussion board or a fan boy page?

Try responding to my other points - I think we can get a decent deal but with a broadcaster and only if we offer exclusivity. I don’t think we have the negotiating capital to offer packages to different platforms and don’t see what we offer digital platforms. I’m open to being convinced otherwise but I’m entitled to an opinion.

Don't be silly. You said you didn't want to be negative and then continued to be so.

What the hell is a fan boy page supposed to be? Aren't we all supposed to be fans of TGG on here?

Refering to RL as niche and essentially as incapable of commaning the respect other sports get as a matter of course is part of our problem.

Amazon being in the market, rumours of it and even the idea of it are useful with negotiations coming soon.

14 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Don't be silly. You said you didn't want to be negative and then continued to be so.

What the hell is a fan boy page supposed to be? Aren't we all supposed to be fans of TGG on here?

Refering to RL as niche and essentially as incapable of commaning the respect other sports get as a matter of course is part of our problem.

Amazon being in the market, rumours of it and even the idea of it are useful with negotiations coming soon.

I prefaced a genuine question with ‘I don’t want to sound downbeat’ to avoid the thing you accused me of. We are a sensitive lot.

I never questioned how good our game is or said anything about the respect from other sports. And we are a ‘niche’ sport in terms of where the sport is played and how many people watch. 

My point was simply: what do we have to offer Amazon who have very different needs/aims than Sky? It’s not a knock on Super League more that I don’t see how it fits in with their business plan. Thats not being negative, it’s offering an opinion based on the information available - if you don’t like that I suggest discussion boards are not for you.

25 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I prefaced a genuine question with ‘I don’t want to sound downbeat’ to avoid the thing you accused me of. We are a sensitive lot.

I never questioned how good our game is or said anything about the respect from other sports. And we are a ‘niche’ sport in terms of where the sport is played and how many people watch. 

My point was simply: what do we have to offer Amazon who have very different needs/aims than Sky? It’s not a knock on Super League more that I don’t see how it fits in with their business plan. Thats not being negative, it’s offering an opinion based on the information available - if you don’t like that I suggest discussion boards are not for you.

Amazon's needs/aims = more Prime subscriptions.

Sky's needs/aims = more Sky subscriptions.

What RL offers = live sporting content in 2-hour chunks, plus thousands of subscribers for a reasonable outlay, who'd ditch Sky in a heartbeat if they lost RL to a rival broadcaster.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Amazon's needs/aims = more Prime subscriptions.

Sky's needs/aims = more Sky subscriptions.

What RL offers = live sporting content in 2-hour chunks, plus thousands of subscribers for a reasonable outlay, who'd ditch Sky in a heartbeat if they lost RL to a rival broadcaster.

I might not agree with all of that but appreciate the proper response to my questions!

All that aside, I would definitely be signing up if Amazon did make a bid and would make use of their other services if they came with the deal so they’d be onto a winner with me.

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

And that is the crucial bit of all this, isn't it?

7 minutes ago, LR23 said:

I might not agree with all of that but appreciate the proper response to my questions!

All that aside, I would definitely be signing up if Amazon did make a bid and would make use of their other services if they came with the deal so they’d be onto a winner with me.

Well, I'm already a subscriber, so maybe I'm a bit partial to their cause. But I use Amazon enough to make the annual Prime fee good value, even without RL.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well, I'm already a subscriber, so maybe I'm a bit partial to their cause. But I use Amazon enough to make the annual Prime fee good value, even without RL.

Agree with all this too. I'm a subscriber and if they'll stump up enough win, win, win!

Over to you sky; Make it worth our while or lose out!

I've been a Prime subscriber for years and years, because I use Amazon enough to justify the £80 or whatever it is these days...

BUT...

Does anyone really think that Amazon Prime Subscription to stay at its current price point if they start making significant inroads into Sky's roster of live Sport?

22 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I've been a Prime subscriber for years and years, because I use Amazon enough to justify the £80 or whatever it is these days...

BUT...

Does anyone really think that Amazon Prime Subscription to stay at its current price point if they start making significant inroads into Sky's roster of live Sport?

If they make seriously big inroads, the annual fee will rise, obviously, but they can't do it in too big a jump without losing Prime subscribers who just use it for free deliveries. Even so, Sky Sports is currently advertised at £23 per month. Doubling the Prime fee would still look attractive by comparison.

I expect that if they build their sports portfolio by a big enough amount, they'll have separate offers for different things and Amazon TV will be a different thing from free next-day delivery. Even so, they can afford to make an attractive deal for the first few years, and taking SL from Sky wouldn't be big enough a cost to really make their price jump much.

Interesting if they made the coverage available through all of their various divisions across the globe, and not just Amazon.co.uk.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Id definitely ditch Sky and subscribe to Amazon if they got RL. How many would do the same?

I dumped Sky Sports as i just couldn't justify the expense and I got bored with watching the same teams and fixtures  over and over. However, I always said I'd sign up again in a heartbeat if they extended the coverage to the lower leagues. Hope that Amazon, if they are serious, will look beyond SL.

31 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Id definitely ditch Sky and subscribe to Amazon if they got RL. How many would do the same?

I’m still boycotting Sky but would consider subscribing to another platform if they had a more comprehensive coverage of the domestic leagues. We had NCL covered a year ago (can’t remember who by) and now OurLeague doing L1 games and BBC red button for the early CC rounds. I can’t believe there isn’t a market to SL Plus..

Archived