I've just walked out of my job!

18 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

And I couldn't be happier! I haven't been happy in it for a while and recently the situation has been getting even more stressful so I took the leap and just left with no notice. It will probably hit me in a week what I've actually done but for now at least.... PARTY!!!!! 

Why no notice?

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Because I couldn't work another second in that place. Basically a new boss has been brought in and they are a massive bully and I had a bit of a to do with them and threw my ID badge at them and walked out. 

You are entitled to severance if it was a case of straight intimidation then.  What did he do?

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

And I couldn't be happier! I haven't been happy in it for a while and recently the situation has been getting even more stressful so I took the leap and just left with no notice. It will probably hit me in a week what I've actually done but for now at least.... PARTY!!!!! 

I was made redundant when Nortel Networks died in 2001 and I left with mixed feelings (excitement, happiness and joy). Seriously though, I was relieved to the point that I felt the stress just drain out as I left the building for the last time, I slept properly that night for the first time in months. Truly toxic job and I wish I’d walked out earlier as well. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

53 minutes ago, Damien said:

Constructive dismissal?

Well done, it takes some guts to that.

43 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Whatever the future holds remember that you have been true to yourself and that's what really matters in life. Proud for you?

Thank you very much for your kind comments! ?

30 minutes ago, ckn said:

I was made redundant when Nortel Networks died in 2001 and I left with mixed feelings (excitement, happiness and joy). Seriously though, I was relieved to the point that I felt the stress just drain out as I left the building for the last time, I slept properly that night for the first time in months. Truly toxic job and I wish I’d walked out earlier as well. 

I feel exactly the same, the stress has just been lifted and I feel so relieved that on Monday I don't have to go back to that hell hole. 

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

You are entitled to severance if it was a case of straight intimidation then.  What did he do?

It was a she and it was essentially the way she spoke to everyone. She was condescending, antagonistic, aggressive, ignorant.

She came onto the site knowing nothing about the building or staff and started trampling on everyone, shouting everyone down when they questioned her or offered a differing opinion. It was clear she had no interest in listening to anyone cos she would ask you a question, you would answer and then she would just ask the same question again worded slightly differently. There was a time when I answered the same question 4 times in a row simply cos she wasn't interested. 

She was made aware by another boss that my workload was too great and it should be cut down but then would tell me off for not doing a really minor task in favour of doing something more important just because she had told me to do the first thing, even though both things needed doing and I was prioritising the more important thing. 

I had been there 9 years and was one of the most experienced people there, I could do the job blindfolded and standing on my head and she had been there a week and was trying to tell me how to do my job and critisising the way I did things, ie the way things had been done successfully all the time I had been there but cos she didn't know the protocols she decided that wasn't the way to do things. 

Even when she wasn't telling you off the tone of voice she used was one of aggression and antagonism. She would ask you to show her where a room was but she would ask in a way like it was your fault she didn't know where it was if that makes sense. 

In the end the stress wore me down and when she criticised me for not doing a really unimportant thing in favour of something critical I flipped, offered every swear word under the sun, chucked my ID and uniform at her and walked out without a top on. 

5 people have walked out in a week. 

14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It was a she and it was essentially the way she spoke to everyone. She was condescending, antagonistic, aggressive, ignorant.

She came onto the site knowing nothing about the building or staff and started trampling on everyone, shouting everyone down when they questioned her or offered a differing opinion. It was clear she had no interest in listening to anyone cos she would ask you a question, you would answer and then she would just ask the same question again worded slightly differently. There was a time when I answered the same question 4 times in a row simply cos she wasn't interested. 

She was made aware by another boss that my workload was too great and it should be cut down but then would tell me off for not doing a really minor task in favour of doing something more important just because she had told me to do the first thing, even though both things needed doing and I was prioritising the more important thing. 

I had been there 9 years and was one of the most experienced people there, I could do the job blindfolded and standing on my head and she had been there a week and was trying to tell me how to do my job and critisising the way I did things, ie the way things had been done successfully all the time I had been there but cos she didn't know the protocols she decided that wasn't the way to do things. 

Even when she wasn't telling you off the tone of voice she used was one of aggression and antagonism. She would ask you to show her where a room was but she would ask in a way like it was your fault she didn't know where it was if that makes sense. 

In the end the stress wore me down and when she criticised me for not doing a really unimportant thing in favour of something critical I flipped, offered every swear word under the sun, chucked my ID and uniform at her and walked out without a top on. 

When five people walk out, people take notice. They might not say anything, but they do.

Not from expertise, but may I suggest that you write a letter. It is a relief to walk away, but writing truth is very powerful. Five people will walk out and she will be able to give a version of why. I suggest you enjoy a good weekend. On Monday, compose a very reasonable email explaining your reasons for leaving, that you regret that after none great years with the company, it ended up that way. You write that you owe it to the company to give an explination.

A you detail very specifically the times that this has happened and why it was unbearable. Wish the company well, let them know you might contact them for a reference and that you are grateful for the eight years.

I wrote such a letter for a girlfriend once. The next day senior management said they would be visiting in seven days. The senior manager came down in six just to catch her out and it did (she had taken that morning off unofficially).

Of course, I could be writing nonsense.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

35 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I know this might be out of the blue but the same thing sort of happened to me once and I quickly discovered that she was really just coming onto me and was quite taken/ infatuated with me.....it was all part of her dating ritual routine.

Are you sure she was not just coming onto you?

42 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

When five people walk out, people take notice. They might not say anything, but they do.

Not from expertise, but may I suggest that you write a letter. It is a relief to walk away, but writing truth is very powerful. Five people will walk out and she will be able to give a version of why. I suggest you enjoy a good weekend. On Monday, compose a very reasonable email explaining your reasons for leaving, that you regret that after none great years with the company, it ended up that way. You write that you owe it to the company to give an explination.

A you detail very specifically the times that this has happened and why it was unbearable. Wish the company well, let them know you might contact them for a reference and that you are grateful for the eight years.

I wrote such a letter for a girlfriend once. The next day senior management said they would be visiting in seven days. The senior manager came down in six just to catch her out and it did (she had taken that morning off unofficially).

Of course, I could be writing nonsense.

Write the email over the weekend. Then sleep on it and consider your wording after that break. Avoid emotive wording and lay out dispassionate, calm facts. And, as well as sending it to the company's boss, make sure it goes with a "read receipt" request.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I know this might be out of the blue but the same thing sort of happened to me once and I quickly discovered that she was really just coming onto me and was quite taken/ infatuated with me.....it was all part of her dating ritual routine.

Are you sure she was not just coming onto you?

I hope not. ?

35 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Write the email over the weekend. Then sleep on it and consider your wording after that break. Avoid emotive wording and lay out dispassionate, calm facts. And, as well as sending it to the company's boss, make sure it goes with a "read receipt" request.

As someone who teaches Human Resources at university, I think this is excellent advice. 

Document everything. Dates, times, incidents, record the lot. But only deal in facts and not emotion (as Futtocks says above).

51 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

As someone who teaches Human Resources at university, I think this is excellent advice. 

Document everything. Dates, times, incidents, record the lot. But only deal in facts and not emotion (as Futtocks says above).

You reminded me; consider CCing the HR department (if there is one) in on the correspondence. They're the folks who usually know how to deal with this kind of thing, as well as the legal obligations when it arises. Managing Directors may make the decision, but they aren't necessarily on top of the fine details, because that's what HR is for.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Celt said:

The good thing is you have all given her time and not stormed off in a knee jerk reaction.

After 9 years, a change in management style was always going to cause problems.  Congratulations on giving your new boss a full week, and not simply flouncing out on her first day.  That shows real maturity, and probably supercedes the tantrum/badge throwing/walking out topless.

I should point out it isn't solely this incident that has made me walk out, its been coming for a couple of months. 

The company has a number of different buildings around the area. I had worked at this one when I first started and transferred to a different one 7 years ago which I had worked at until a couple of months back. About a year ago the company decided they were closing the building I worked at. So for 10 months there was no communication from management at all as to what was going to happen with us at the closing building, whether we were transferring or being made redundant. I was told 2 weeks before the closure that I still had a job and I was moving back to the place I had started at. By this point of course I had already started looking for a different job in case of redundancy. 

That was literally all I was told about the transfer. So the day of the transfer me and another from the closed buildinb turn up at our new building and find there is no one there to meet us. We decide to ring the boss who upon answering admits they had forgotten we were moving that day. When we ask them what we are to do they randomly reel off a load of work and where to go. Luckily I have been in this building before so know where to go but also know my workload has been doubled from the previous. All stuff I can do standing on my head I will point out but when you don't have the time there's not a lot you can do. 

Anyway, the boss comes down and says my workload will get cut and they are going to review everyone's work to better organise it now that 3 new staff members are at that site (2 from my site, 3rd came from somewhere else) so I'm relatively happy with that, just stick with the massive workload for a few days and it will get cut. This boss understands my work isn't gonna be fantastic when there is so much to do. 

We hear about a change in management and again there is absolutely no communication whatsoever as to what that means or when it will happen. First we knew of it was when the old boss wasn't there anymore and a new one marched in. So this is 2 months later and I'm still struggling through the ridiculous workload which still hasn't been cut. 

And then there was the week from hell..... 

I remembered something else as well. The new boss had had a go at me about one of my medical conditions. I'd explained I had this relatively mild condition and without a thought she just snottily shot at me, "well if it's that bad you shouldn't be working!" No one said anything about it being "that bad", I was simply pointing it out. She had also told someone with rumatoid arthritis to do something that would have been excruciatingly painful for them, a task any other staff member would have been happy to do, and then shouted at them for not doing it. She was completely unaware of a couple other staff members' history of mental health issues. If I was a new boss going into a workplace I would read my staffs records and files to familiarise myself with them not just be snotty and ignorant when you're told about these issues. It's no one's fault they have a medical condition so don't shout at them for it. I doubt anyone wishes for these problems. 

Myself and the two others that had been transferred there, and two already from there have walked out and I've heard since that a couple more are thinking about it. 

Anyway, I've slept much better since and am really getting stuck into 'workers and resources: soviet Republic' computer game, ridiculously in depth city building game that you need at least 200 years to  fully master! ?

5 hours ago, Celt said:

The good thing is you have all given her time and not stormed off in a knee jerk reaction.

After 9 years, a change in management style was always going to cause problems.  Congratulations on giving your new boss a full week, and not simply flouncing out on her first day.  That shows real maturity, and probably supercedes the tantrum/badge throwing/walking out topless.

No one takes the decision to walk out of a job lightly and being in a toxic environment can take a huge toll on your health and life outside of work. I wouldn't judge anyone who has felt forced to do that unless you know the full circumstances and have been in that exact situation.

On 06/12/2019 at 16:55, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Must have been day day for it.

My daughter walked out on her job on friday too. Pretty much for similar reasons......

45 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Must have been day day for it.

My daughter walked out on her job on friday too. Pretty much for similar reasons......

Don't people give two weeks notice over there?

Just now, Robin Evans said:

A month or two is the norm.... mine was three months.

My daughter decided that enough was enough so walked.

WOW....that is a long time to give notice.   The norm here is two weeks notice minimum.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

WOW....that is a long time to give notice.   The norm here is two weeks notice minimum.

My notice would have been a month if I thought I could have stuck it. Thing is, my month in hand wage that I would have gotten back was a lot less than what I was getting towards the end anyway cos I started on a much smaller contract for less money. Quite frankly my mental health was more important than a small cheque.

In my working life, it has amazed me how many ex work colleagues once they became " "managers"  started behaving like nazis.

Hallucinating Goose I salute you .

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Archived