Let's ditch the BBC

Watching the Channel 4 coverage of the Heinekin cup. The Big Tackle build up show witj Ed Jackson is fantastic. Getting to know the personalities linked with the afternoons game

The game coverage itself is fantastic too

Time for us to ditch the BBC and let another terrestrial channel do something similar with the Challenge cup?

New presenters, new format, a build up show getting to see the characters.....

*please don't start any union vs league ######.... I'm just talking about the media coverage

Over the last decade, the BBC's coverage has improved a lot. The amount of coverage has also increased, with their CC early rounds being streamed, the extended highlights of the play-offs, their commitment to internationals (especially the next RWC). That'd be a lot for any new channel to match.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Over the last decade, the BBC's coverage has improved a lot. The amount of coverage has also increased, with their CC early rounds being streamed, the extended highlights of the play-offs, their commitment to internationals (especially the next RWC). That'd be a lot for any new channel to match.

Plus the coverage on Five Live and Sports Extra, plus the local stations.

It's really not perfect but it's better than anyone else is going to provide.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Only the beeb could be bothered with televising the last tour, there coverage of the Challenge cup especially the early round red button broadcasts are very good, and I think the commentary  yeams are much better Sky, than do you want to give those up.

I'm talking specifically the Channel 4 coverage of the Heinekin cup 

It is so much better than the BBC's CC cup coverage

Bright, funny and vibrant. The build up show focusing on the players home lives etc

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Bright, funny and vibrant. The build up show focusing on the players home lives etc

As much as you are enjoying it, metrics show less people will watch C4 than BBC1 

10 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The build up show focusing on the players home lives etc

Sounds 'kin awful.

Genuinely.

Grim.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Even so... 

I just can't see the BBC getting new fans from their coverage. I really can from the Channel 4 approach

Is there any reason to think that Channel 4 would actually be interested in showing the Challenge Cup?

The big problem with the Challenge Cup on the BBC is - thanks to the seeding system - the big clubs don't get involved until the last 16, substantially reducing their potential TV exposure. 

It's no wonder the average viewer doesn't know any Rugby League players any more. 

Every pro club should be in the hat for the first round. 

If the big clubs don't like the idea of these extra games, either don't enter the competition or actually do some squad rotation for a change. 

10 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I personally would like to see the BBC abolished as they are nothing more than a far left wing,Pro EU Neo Nazi Zionist fascist organisation that is frankly against this country and democracy.

Well this thread escalated quickly. Always find it funny that lefties claim right wing bias from the beeb, while righties claim left wing bias. Much like referees I guess if both sides think they're biased it usually means they're either doing a good job or just plain unbiased but terrible.

Anyway, on topic, I can't see why we'd give up the viewing figures for the Challenge Cup to 'downgrade' to C4. Similar to a point I made on the Amazon thread though, if we're able to split SL rights up into packages there's maybe an option to sell small runs of games or an event like Magic Weekend to other providers for more exposure.

36 minutes ago, Dave W said:

The big problem with the Challenge Cup on the BBC is - thanks to the seeding system - the big clubs don't get involved until the last 16, substantially reducing their potential TV exposure. 

It's no wonder the average viewer doesn't know any Rugby League players any more. 

Every pro club should be in the hat for the first round. 

If the big clubs don't like the idea of these extra games, either don't enter the competition or actually do some squad rotation for a change. 

Only full-time teams should be in the C Cup. Have the Final in May. The teams involved would be the top 8 from the pervious years' SL. Use the McIntyre System they used to use in the NRL. 1 v 8, 2 v 7 etc. Over 4 weekends obviously. 

4 minutes ago, Moove said:

Well this thread escalated quickly. Always find it funny that lefties claim right wing bias from the beeb, while righties claim left wing bias. Much like referees I guess if both sides think they're biased it usually means they're either doing a good job or just plain unbiased but terrible.

That's a good sign IMO, if you're upsetting everyone you're just about getting it right.

Just now, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Only full-time teams should be in the C Cup. Have the Final in May. The teams involved would be the top 8 from the pervious years' SL. Use the McIntyre System they used to use in the NRL. 1 v 8, 2 v 7 etc. Over 4 weekends obviously. 

That's the idea, make it even less appealing. We don't get many shocks these days, but when we do it creates news and interest.

23 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

That's the idea, make it even less appealing. We don't get many shocks these days, but when we do it creates news and interest.

We're getting some dodgy semi-finals, for many winning the C Cup is bigger than winning SL, no GF. 22 rounds of SL, 4 C Cup, 2 Nines tournaments, 1 in Newcastle the other at the Etihad. 

As a bit of an aside, but kind of related, how many people do you think watch live terrestrial tv in the UK now? I know here in Aus I watch everything on demand now, have done for a year or two, and that’s how most people I know watch tv. So I have to specifically hunt out a channel/show to watch it. I will go to Fox Sports when I know an RL game is on to watch it, but I no longer ‘flick through channels’ so will never come across something by chance. Is this common in the uk now too? Because if it is it should mean a complete revamp in how we market our games 

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Actually thats the part I hate most about any coverage ... focus on the players and home lives... I personally couldn't give a toss about their home lives...

I guess it may be an age thing as people certainly seemed to be celebrity focused nowadays and what the inns and outs of their trouser legs and such...

24 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

As a bit of an aside, but kind of related, how many people do you think watch live terrestrial tv in the UK now? I know here in Aus I watch everything on demand now, have done for a year or two, and that’s how most people I know watch tv. So I have to specifically hunt out a channel/show to watch it. I will go to Fox Sports when I know an RL game is on to watch it, but I no longer ‘flick through channels’ so will never come across something by chance. Is this common in the uk now too? Because if it is it should mean a complete revamp in how we market our games 

It is heading that way with many viewers, but a large number are still mostly watching "as live". And with sport, especially so.

Then there's the social media aspect, where a popular programme has lots of Twitter activity as it is being broadcast, so people watch it at the scheduled time to join in with the chat and to avoid spoilers. Some folks can't live without Tweeting obscenities about the referee because he's just made an entirely fair decision against their club.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived