Take His Legs

DoubleD

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the GB debacle and the dismal end to Wires season, I was feeling a little down with the game in general—- until last night when I watched this programme. Completely uplifting and humbling to see the players battling against adversity to play the most brutal team sport with massive smiles and great humour—- puts your own woes into perspective. I can’t explain why, but I’m feeling enthused once more for the forthcoming season ✌️

The worrying thing about last night's show is that Adam Hills is probably the best known Rugby League player in the UK at the moment.

I was in a cafe in Braunton, North Devon this afternoon and an old lady with a walking frame was struggling to get in the door. I opened it for her and she ended up sitting behind me and was talking to the owner about what she'd watched on TV last night, a programme about the disabled man on the show with Josh Widdecombe playing rugby.

My ears pricked up and she was enthusing about these disabled men playing rugby, going to Australia and beating Russell Crowe's team and how wonderful it was to see what they could do. The cafe owner was saying that he hadn't seen it and didn't know who she meant and ended up googling it on his 'phone and said he would watch it this evening.

A random example of the how the game needs a presence on mainstream free tv. Go back twenty years or so, most people would have heard of Wigan rugby league, Martin Offiah and Ellery Hanley. Who, outside of our small, RL following bubble, could name a current Rugby League player? 

But, two people, as far away from the stereotypical M62 Leaguie as you could think of, now have a knowledge of our game via a one footed Aussie comic on Channel 4.

Adam Hills is known to a lot of people who aren't interested in RL in particular, and in some cases don't follow sport at all. He can reach people who are into comedy and politics, and if they watched 'Take his Legs', they are new eyes on RL. Some of them will be interested enough to look further.

Also, The Last Leg's connection with the Paralympics and disability sport in general will bring in another established viewer base. It wouldn't be a bad idea to invite him to a wheelchair RL event, if he hasn't been already.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I told my wife I wanted her to watch it with me, her look would have withered granite. 

I insisted and after 1 minute I asked if she would give it a chance to which nodded. A few minutes in and wild horses would not have dragged her from watching. She loved it.

I did too.

I have put a comment on my Facebook page imploring my friends to watch it and to give it a chance even if they would normally be turned off by the back drop of RL.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Yet more proof football should be banned. What a lovely and well put together show.

Those blokes are brave and brilliant. I'd much rather watch them than any most recent gb game.

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Watched it after reading a great article in the Daily Express early in the week, plus passed the info around on facebook.

Great show & lots of respect for the players on all sides. like him drifted away from the game till I got to watch a game in London a few years back after that got the bug & back in love with the Rams.

The press for this has been hugely positive.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I finally got to watch it today. - brilliant bit of TV. Isn't it something to be proud of that the most brutal of sports, our sport,  is the one that can help build hearts and mend minds, bring people together and and instil a sense of purpose and beloging when it seems lost and unattainable.

I got a bo11ocking off the memsahib for not waiting for her to get home  and watch it with her. Oh well, I'll have to watch it again ???

1 hour ago, CiderWire said:

Oh well, I'll have to watch it again ???

It's a hard life, sure enough.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd echo everyone's comments. Television at its best: tremendous storytelling that's both informative and uplifting.

Also, a word of thanks to the community teams at Warrington, Wakefield, Leeds and others for doing the work they do.

My youngest happens to have Down's syndrome and when she finishes school I dread what the future holds if people such as these aren't around.

Top telly, found it very moving and inspirational.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

brilliant viewing - the love for rl radiated through the screen, was a bit disillusioned  with the game myself after watching the 2nd 1990 test at old Trafford on youtube the previous week and thinking "what the hell has happened to the game since then? but faith restored by all involved in the programme. 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I haven't watched the programme,as yet,but I hope the RFL and channel 4 take advantage of the uplifting,life affirming comments attributed to it.

It seems they have been in discussion with Channel 4 - ( In the recent past ) - https://www.rlnews.co.uk/reports-rfl-in-talks-with-terrestrial-tv-channel/

Todays RLE reports of attempts to be made by the RFL to communicate with recent new MP's in the rugby league areas.

There is a report in the Daily Mirror that suggests the Department of D.G Media and Sport may be removed - It will add weight to reports that the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport will be abolished in the reshuffle, with its responsibilities handed to other Whitehall teams.

Source - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-tory-nicky-morgan-keeps-21109915

The Department have been mentioned with regard to the 2021 World Cup,held in England

https://www.rlwc2021.com/about/board-&-governance/andrew-honeyman

More coverage by Channel 4 and regular communication with those in authority will help all involved in the sport.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived