Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Greg

Fiji 2021

Recommended Posts

Can Fiji make it to their first World Cup Final after three successive semi-final defeats to Australia? They performed strongly this year winning all three tests, but I was hoping that Semi Radrada might return RL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greg said:

Can Fiji make it to their first World Cup Final after three successive semi-final defeats to Australia? They performed strongly this year winning all three tests, but I was hoping that Semi Radrada might return RL

Depends how many outside backs the Wallabies need in the next year or two 😕 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scubby said:

Depends how many outside backs the Wallabies need in the next year or two 😕 

The Kangaroos aren't afraid to cap Fijians either unfortunately. Petero Civoniceva for example. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

The Kangaroos aren't afraid to cap Fijians either unfortunately. Petero Civoniceva for example. 

Civoniceva lived in Australia from a few months old.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Damien said:

Civoniceva lived in Australia from a few months old.

The guy is clearly a very proud Fijian. That was only one example anyway, sure they capped Radradra in 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Greg said:

Can Fiji make it to their first World Cup Final after three successive semi-final defeats to Australia? They performed strongly this year winning all three tests, but I was hoping that Semi Radrada might return RL

I sure hope not.  Having a team representing such a tiny country in the World Cup Final would highlight the sport's embarrassingly small footprint in the world.

  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

I sure hope not.  Having a team representing such a tiny country in the World Cup Final would highlight the sport's embarrassingly small footprint in the world.

What? Like Croatia?

If they get there on merit they deserve to be there. Good luck to them!

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What? Like Croatia?

If they get there on merit they deserve to be there. Good luck to them!

Or Uruguay. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What? Like Croatia?

If they get there on merit they deserve to be there. Good luck to them!

 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Or Uruguay. 

Croatia and Uruguay are both much bigger countries than Fiji, and their success in other sports has indeed been earned, earned by playing and beating a number of teams representing even bigger countries, though only occasionally.  The same can't really be said of Fiji in RL though.

Edited by Big Picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

 

Croatia and Uruguay are both much bigger countries than Fiji, and their success in other sports has indeed been earned, earned by playing and beating a number of teams representing even bigger countries, though only occasionally.  The same can't really be said of Fiji in RL though.

Croatia has 4 million people and hardly any major diaspora whereas Fiji does to Oz and NZ. Point is it doesn't matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Croatia has 4 million people and hardly any major diaspora whereas Fiji does to Oz and NZ. Point is it doesn't matter. 

You might think it doesn't but RL's detractors won't think so.  They'd see the prevalence of small island countries in the top eight of a world cup as a sign of the sport's weakness even if their teams weren't full of heritage players and they'd be right.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You might think it doesn't but RL's detractors won't think so.  They'd see the prevalence of small island countries in the top eight of a world cup as a sign of the sport's weakness even if their teams weren't full of heritage players and they'd be right.

RL's detractors will find something to bag no matter what, so worrying to much about what they think is a counterproductive waste of time.

BTW, what's wrong with small island nations?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

RL's detractors will find something to bag no matter what, so worrying to much about what they think is a counterproductive waste of time.

BTW, what's wrong with small island nations?

Nothing, they can add a colourful dimension at times like the Jamaican bobsleigh team did at the Winter Olympics in Calgary in 1988, but that's as much as they can do for any sport.

Edited by Big Picture
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I sure hope not.  Having a team representing such a tiny country in the World Cup Final would highlight the sport's embarrassingly small footprint in the world.

What about Fiji winning Olympic gold in Rugby 7's or winning the yearly 7's circuit? Fiji have a lot offer in you just broaden your outlook.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

What about Fiji winning Olympic gold in Rugby 7's or winning the yearly 7's circuit? Fiji have a lot offer in you just broaden your outlook.  

A tiny island country with less population than Ottawa has a lot to offer?  What planet do you live on?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Nothing, they can add a colourful dimension at times like the Jamaican bobsleigh team did at the Winter Olympics in Calgary in 1988, but that's as much as they can do for any sport.

Wow, that is incredibly dismissive.  

Just because they are small, and generally speaking, very poor nations, and as such those handicaps make it incredibly hard for them to compete, doesn't mean that they are worthless or less important competitors then anybody else. If anything the fact that they have to overcome those innate handicaps make their successes on the pitch that much greater and more noteworthy.

Also considering that in RL circles Canada is considered the colourful novelty that hasn't really achieved anything of great note and (currently) add's very little to the sport, you should be very careful with this line of thinking, because if it became wide held it'd be Canada getting the ###### not Fiji or any of the other PI's.

37 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

A tiny island country with less population than Ottawa has a lot to offer?  What planet do you live on?

Considering that in both codes of Rugby Fiji has not only had more success, but has produced way more players, undoubtedly drawn bigger crowds and ratings for most of their games, and made more money for each code in the last 10 years then Canada has in it's whole existence, I'd suggest that yeah they have a great deal to offer.

I'd also suggest that it is rich for a Canadian RL fan to be bagging Fiji (or any of the other PI's) when Canada's RL team couldn't tie the bootlaces of Fiji's. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a day off BP, you're turning into Parksider

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You might think it doesn't but RL's detractors won't think so.  They'd see the prevalence of small island countries in the top eight of a world cup as a sign of the sport's weakness even if their teams weren't full of heritage players and they'd be right.

Who are RL’s detractors? There aren’t many and even if there were who cares what they think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

A tiny island country with less population than Ottawa has a lot to offer?  What planet do you live on?

The same planet as you unfortunately.

You obviously haven't seen their results in either code.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

You might think it doesn't but RL's detractors won't think so.  They'd see the prevalence of small island countries in the top eight of a world cup as a sign of the sport's weakness even if their teams weren't full of heritage players and they'd be right.

Mate, you're lecturing us when we've had the West Indies (a bunch of tiny island countries) be the absolute dominant force in world cricket and New Zealand (lower population than "Greater Toronto") be the absolute dominant force in world rugby union, and nobody has thought to say that this is a problem.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Mate, you're lecturing us when we've had the West Indies (a bunch of tiny island countries) be the absolute dominant force in world cricket and New Zealand (lower population than "Greater Toronto") be the absolute dominant force in world rugby union, and nobody has thought to say that this is a problem.

I’m amazed that football ever took off considering Uruguay (population 3 million) won the first World Cup. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m amazed that football ever took off considering Uruguay (population 3 million) won the first World Cup. 

An absolute farce. They keep qualifying for World Cups as well, which must show that football is a joke of a sport.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

An absolute farce. They keep qualifying for World Cups as well, which must show that football is a joke of a sport.

Iceland qualifying for the Euros was the final nail in the coffin for international football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...