Jackson Hastings

DG70

Confusion surrounding his intentions for 2020, allegedly having 2nd thoughts and question marks over his Wigan commitment, will he stay or will he go back to the NRL?

Quite telling however that his Twitter profile still states he is a Salford player, lets see how this one unfolds!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, DG70 said:

Confusion surrounding his intentions for 2020, allegedly having 2nd thoughts and question marks over his Wigan commitment, will he stay or will he go back to the NRL?

Quite telling however that his Twitter profile still states he is a Salford player, lets see how this one unfolds!

Presumably, you are referring to this article in the Sun.

Mmm...I wonder if it is worth putting on the pre-season bet now.

22 minutes ago, DG70 said:

I wouldn’t read too much into the Twitter profile - he stopped using his account midway through the GB tour due to criticism he was getting.

No way he will turn his back on Wigan. Hastings being coached by Shaun Edwards is a dream ticket!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

He should stay/return to Salford,who he assisted to the Grand Final.

Team Work Index,as espoused by a former union guy suggests that's the way to go.

It's a couple of years old - but not a bad read on a rainy afternoon

https://www.afr.com/companies/sport/darwins-theory-of-sporting-evolution-20170323-gv4yuj

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

42 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

He should stay/return to Salford,who he assisted to the Grand Final.

Team Work Index,as espoused by a former union guy suggests that's the way to go.

It's a couple of years old - but not a bad read on a rainy afternoon

https://www.afr.com/companies/sport/darwins-theory-of-sporting-evolution-20170323-gv4yuj

No quota spots left at Salford, thats a non starter. It’s NRL or Wigan.

58 minutes ago, LR23 said:

No quota spots left at Salford, thats a non starter. It’s NRL or Wigan.

Seeing as he's a GB international with a British grandparent, would the quota rule apply to him anymore? 

11 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Seeing as he's a GB international with a British grandparent, would the quota rule apply to him anymore? 

It still applies as he doesn’t have citizenship or a passport but regardless he’s still non federation trained. Same goes for Widdop who was born here but learned the game in Aus and (Salford player) Connor-Jones who has a British passport but grew up in Aus.

We have 7 non fed trained players and all of them are new and/or first choice.

12 hours ago, LR23 said:

It still applies as he doesn’t have citizenship or a passport but regardless he’s still non federation trained. Same goes for Widdop who was born here but learned the game in Aus and (Salford player) Connor-Jones who has a British passport but grew up in Aus.

We have 7 non fed trained players and all of them are new and/or first choice.

Are you sure? How do you know that both Hastings and Widdop don't actually have British passports? If this is part of the criteria for being off the quota then I am sure Wigan and Warrington will have made sure they don't count.

42 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

Are you sure? How do you know that both Hastings and Widdop don't actually have British passports? If this is part of the criteria for being off the quota then I am sure Wigan and Warrington will have made sure they don't count.

Owning a passport wouldn’t take you off the federation trained list as that is the whole reason it was brought in. To prevent overseas players getting a British/European or any other countries passport that would take them off quota. 

1 hour ago, Rhinoferg said:

I’m positive Hastings doesn’t have a British passport (Widdop might but that would only take him off the ‘overseas quota’ and not the ‘non fed trained quota’) and that playing for GB doesn’t exempt you from the non fed trained quota. There were rumours that Wire were going to apply for an exemption for Widdop but I asked Matt Shaw about this a couple of months ago and he said no official approach had been made to the RFL so thats all it was - a rumour.

One of your players is applying for a PNG passport to get off the overseas quota at the moment. The criteria are pretty strict - playing for a country isn’t enough.

14 hours ago, Dave W said:

He's an Aussie citizen with an Aussie passport who's played all but the last few years of his career in Aus.

He could apply for a British passport I suppose but even that would still keep him on the non-Fed quota.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Couple of things - neither of which confirm anything but may shed some light on his thinking. 

On the one hand he's having a house built back in Sydney/Shellharbour which isn't really a shock as I don't think anybody is naive to the fact he does want to go back to Aus eventually. What makes me think that won't be as immediate as some think is whilst he's been back home (after the tour) he flew his girlfriend out there to meet his mum and two sisters - his girlfriend is from Manchester. Now I'm not saying his NRL return hinges on this but would be a strange move to do that and then up sticks and walk out on Wigan? 

Personally think he'll do one season for Wigan and it'll be announced around midseason that he'll be leaving.

1 hour ago, LR23 said:

I’m positive Hastings doesn’t have a British passport (Widdop might but that would only take him off the ‘overseas quota’ and not the ‘non fed trained quota’) and that playing for GB doesn’t exempt you from the non fed trained quota. There were rumours that Wire were going to apply for an exemption for Widdop but I asked Matt Shaw about this a couple of months ago and he said no official approach had been made to the RFL so thats all it was - a rumour.

One of your players is applying for a PNG passport to get off the overseas quota at the moment. The criteria are pretty strict - playing for a country isn’t enough.

Widdop is the only one who could challenge this rule I think. Depends on the wording of the "federation training rule". I think he moved to Aus at 16. So I would say he is British born, with a British passport, was UK federation trained from age 12-16, then Aus federation trained from 16 onwards. Which federation has priority? The one that laid all the foundations? or the one that he kicked on with?

For what its worth I dont think Salford fans should get too excited, he has paid his dues and rightfully has to do what is best for himself, smart money is he probably wants to return home and to the NRL, not sure he will get the love at Wigan like he did at Salford.

To be honest after his GB performances he should be getting his head down and proving he is the real deal in SL before he thinks about the NRL. If hes star man for a club like Wigan next season, who are known in the NRL, it would give him a great platform to negotiate a great NRL deal with one of the bigger clubs.

I doubt any big Clubs in the NRL would want to sign him at this stage.

He did not impress for GB even with the crazy team they put out and even with Hodgson killing everything.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

3 hours ago, TrueBull said:

Widdop is the only one who could challenge this rule I think. Depends on the wording of the "federation training rule". I think he moved to Aus at 16. So I would say he is British born, with a British passport, was UK federation trained from age 12-16, then Aus federation trained from 16 onwards. Which federation has priority? The one that laid all the foundations? or the one that he kicked on with?

The wording is between the ages of 16 to 21 so I think he’s a non fed player. 

5 hours ago, Allora said:

I doubt any big Clubs in the NRL would want to sign him at this stage.

He did not impress for GB even with the crazy team they put out and even with Hodgson killing everything.

that's because he never got a chance on the wing

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 hours ago, TrueBull said:

Was he on the books at Halifax 

Slightly off topic, but Gareth Widdop emigrated when he was 16. He may well have played RL at school.

If he did play as a schoolboy,  couldn't it be claimed that he is as much a British Federation player as an Australian Federation player?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Slightly off topic, but Gareth Widdop emigrated when he was 16. He may well have played RL at school.

If he did play as a schoolboy,  couldn't it be claimed that he is as much a British Federation player as an Australian Federation player?

It hasn’t got details on where he played as a schoolboy but this article references Widdop and the non fed trained rules: https://www.totalrl.com/overseas-quota-a-beginners-guide/

Archived