Jackson Hastings

DG70

He’s on social media talking about speculation, trolling and players’ mental health coming first and all that stuff.  I don’t know what’s been said and maybe there’s some nasty stuff.

But I can’t help feeling that he’s being a bit soft and he certainly isn’t saying: I’ve signed for Wigan, that’s where I’ll be next year and I can’t wait to tear into it.  Which as a Wigan fan I want to hear.

If he’s not gonna turn up then he deserves a bit of stick!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Leeds didn’t sign Hastings as he insisted on an NRL release clause.

I guess Wigan didn’t expect him to use it quite so quickly ?

Yeah bloody hell!! ?

He’s proper Shaun Edwards’d it 

4 hours ago, Tonka said:

He’s on social media talking about speculation, trolling and players’ mental health coming first and all that stuff.  I don’t know what’s been said and maybe there’s some nasty stuff.

But I can’t help feeling that he’s being a bit soft and he certainly isn’t saying: I’ve signed for Wigan, that’s where I’ll be next year and I can’t wait to tear into it.  Which as a Wigan fan I want to hear.

If he’s not gonna turn up then he deserves a bit of stick!

Well it tells you everything you need to know. If you had genuine intentions of playing for Wigan, you'd say so, because then that would make all what he is complaining about go away, even though it's not justified in the first place. This could all go away with a few words from Hastings but he seemingly refuses to - because he doesn't want to play for Wigan.

Jackson's profile says he is a Salford player because he has been off twitter since the abuse started. I expect he will play the first year of his contract, no chance he wants to return to Salford. Pay isn't enough. He is due back before New Year.

On 9 December 2019 at 19:36, LR23 said:

It hasn’t got details on where he played as a schoolboy but this article references Widdop and the non fed trained rules: https://www.totalrl.com/overseas-quota-a-beginners-guide/

Almost certain he did. Isn't his Dad an RL coach? Happy to be corrected, but I thought I read that somewhere. 

Nevertheless, it is unlikely he had no interest in the sport in Halifax, then became enamoured of it in the hotbed of Melbourne!!!

15 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Jackson's profile says he is a Salford player because he has been off twitter since the abuse started. I expect he will play the first year of his contract, no chance he wants to return to Salford. Pay isn't enough. He is due back before New Year.

Not that I myself would read too much into it, he has been on his Instagram plenty and he still hasn't updated that from Salford either....

Definitely starting to think this is a 'no smoke without fire' situation however. Interesting to note he along with Blake Austin appear to have the longest extended leave after the GB tour (which makes sense with their families being in Aus) but Austin is due to return today whereas there is no indication Hastings is coming back any time soon? I get each club may have different policies but you'd think Wigan would want their star half back in training asap with the season just over 6 weeks away? 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

There's a contractual dispute with Wigan I hear...............not sure why it's only just come to light but it appears all is not well

Where have you heard this DD? Feels very much like they're doing whatever they can to get out of the deal. It'll be very disappointing if this is how Hastings ends his time in SL. 

27 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Where have you heard this DD? Feels very much like they're doing whatever they can to get out of the deal. It'll be very disappointing if this is how Hastings ends his time in SL. 

Just stuff doing the rounds on social down under. Loads of rumours but there’s no smoke without fire. Not sure he’s got an NRL club lined up.........he may even end up at another SL club. He had a Wolfpack cap on insta last week

5 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

If Hastings is not joining Wigan and I have absolutely no idea whether he is or isn't; ala the Shaun Edwards scenario; so be it.

Anybody not fully committed to the cause is not worth hiring in the long-run.

Happy Christmas to all.

Good luck to Hastings what ever he does.  But in terms of putting himself in the shop window he did not serve himself well on the recent tour.   It all looks clear to me that he was hoping that a season with Wigan would attract a NRL contract after a season.  This too would suit Wigan with Smith possibly stepping up after a season.

I'd thought Wigan ought to be fairly sanguine.

44 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Good luck to Hastings what ever he does.  But in terms of putting himself in the shop window he did not serve himself well on the recent tour.   It all looks clear to me that he was hoping that a season with Wigan would attract a NRL contract after a season.  This too would suit Wigan with Smith possibly stepping up after a season.

I'd thought Wigan ought to be fairly sanguine.

Could not add to your points.

Maybe he wants to go home now, and has been sounded out by NRL clubs?  
I assume wigan will have a contract giving him a break clause during his first year, but not before, in which case money would have to change hands for him to get out of it.

I like what he has done at Salford, and for the game generally over here, and have sympathy for someone who wants to go home. As long as we get cash and another exciting player, good luck to him if he wants to go back. 

12 hours ago, Father Ted said:

It could be that some NRL clubs have contacted Hastings but maybe their offers have been a lot less than the contract he has with Wigan. After his mediocre games for GB perhaps NRL clubs don't value him as much as he does value himself or Wigan do.

NRL clubs would shell out A$500k for a reserve halfback if they thought the person would add value to the squad. Half backs are tough to find.

Any NRL club would have to find his contract money and compensation to Wigan (if we drafted his contract properly). So, he would have to be much more valuable to them than us, or else he can take a pay cut. The only bad outcome for Wigan would be to lose him and not sign another good half back - for all I know we may have said we will let him go if he is so keen to leave provided we have his replacement lined up. Lachlan Lam perhaps? 

Archived