Takeover imminent for Hornets

21 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

They need to sort out this ground share with the soccer club first in my opinion

What do you mean by sort it out? Is there anywhere else suitable in the town that they could potentially play? 

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Given the size of Hornets' crowds these days, they could play at Mayfield's ground!

I think it's pretty clear Rochdale FC want shut of the rugby league club, whose influence on what happens at Spotland is much reduced from 1988, when they moved there.

They are playing at Mayfield during next summer. 

22 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I am not a Hornets fan but I wonder if it is possible and feasible  as to whether or not Mayfield’s ground could be refurbished and upgraded to Championship status to start with where both Hornets and Mayfield along with the community use it?

Thats a great shout to be fair it was very clear from York Knights 1st visit the football club weren't interested, as they cancelled the game on the day due to "too high wind to put the posts up" at 3:30pm but they played football on Tuesday night in worse conditions

44 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Thats a great shout to be fair it was very clear from York Knights 1st visit the football club weren't interested, as they cancelled the game on the day due to "too high wind to put the posts up" at 3:30pm but they played football on Tuesday night in worse conditions

That is the disadvantage of being a tenant of a football club.I think the potential incoming board will need to look at that one with a very fine tooth comb.

25 minutes ago, glemiln said:

http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/53593/hornets-supporters-unanimously-back-ownership-change

Ownership change approved unanimously.

A huge boost to Hornets especially after last season.

It could be an interesting ride and I hope it will be successful for all involved and the community.

Likewise, it would be good to see the club thriving again and Mazey could be the man to make it happen. It’s also close enough to the M62 for even the most ardent flat capper. 

On 09/12/2019 at 13:38, Robthegasman said:

That is the disadvantage of being a tenant of a football club.I think the potential incoming board will need to look at that one with a very fine tooth comb.

My guess ( and hope) is that the new Board knew before they approached Hornets that there is a long term lease in place. For how long and details I am not sure, but it should be more than enough to get the new set-up going forward with more confidence than of late.  Hopefully, the new Board will ensure a good relationship with Dale - some history below:

“Rochdale moved to the Athletic Grounds in 1894. Their first game at their new home took place in September 1894 against Crompton. Between 1896 and 1900, Rochdale Association Football Club played at the Athletics Grounds. Hornets became tenants of the ground in 1900 and purchased the ground in 1913.

The highest attendance at the Athletic Grounds was the 1924 Challenge Cup final between Oldham and Wigan when 41,831 saw Wigan win 21-4.

Hornets borrowed £3,000 from the Rugby Football League in 1954 to build a new covered outer boundary wall and new turnstiles for the main entrance and Waithlands. The highest attendance for a league match was set on Saturday 16 October 1954, Hornets lost 4-18 to local rivals Oldham in front of 19,654 spectators. In 1987 both Rochdale Hornets and Rochdale A.F.C. were in financial trouble. First to receive an offer for their ground, Hornets accepted Morrison's £2.6m offer for the Athletic Grounds and, following the sale of the land bought a half share in Rochdale A.F.C.'s Spotland Stadium,

thus saving both clubs.”

Archived