How was your decade?

I became grandad.... i love being grandad even if it means I'm regularly covered in chocolate and ketchup

I 'semi'-retired which I'm enjoying immensely. 

Campbell turned Rovers around, we won a few games and now we're getting a bit giddy again.

Im ten years older, 3 stones heavier and the gingerness is being replaced with white and I'll be 60 next which is craopla.... but much better than the other option too many of my friends have experienced.

An incredibly tough start to the decade followed by many more years of it, but the end of the decade is significantly brighter for us than the start!

I started the decade working in the rather soulless legal industry, now I work in the NHS directly improving the lot of some of the most deprived people in the UK. A massive improvement in my life outlook!

I started the decade with my wife severely ill, it took to 2017 to get her stabilised enough and now into genuine improvement. Still not there yet but a massive improvement.

I started the decade with my bank account going down so quickly that if it'd had been represented by an old-fashioned analogue clock it'd have caused a bit of a windstorm. My bank account is now stable and improving, albeit we've still almost no savings yet but we have no debt beyond our mortgage.

I started the decade almost religiously watching every rugby league game I could. I finish it watching games only if the teams interest me and if they fit into my timescale. I haven't been to a live rugby league game since 2017.

I started the decade with my sense of personal immortality just still intact, I end it having attended far too many funerals and it distinctly tattered. Too many folk lost that I consider dear.

I end the decade wearing glasses, using a hearing aid and having rampant high blood pressure that I didn't have in 2010.

I learned that some friends are paper friends who are happy to ask for and take any help offered, but run a mile when asked to help in return. I learned some other friends are far better than I ever credited them. I'm in a much stronger friend position now than in 2010.

Overall, I look to the 2020s with one hell of a lot more hope than I did the 2010s.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Well for the last 9 years I worked the same dead-end job before I finally decided to take the leap and quit (as I've said on the thread I started) and I intend to take a month or two off so I will end the decade unemployed but ultimately happier than I would have been in that job. I've managed to save up a bit of money over the last few years for the first time in my life as well which is certainly satisfying to have.

Around 5 years ago I was diagnosed with epilepsy which I am still trying to get fully under control, although its not anywhere near as bad as it was when I was first diagnosed, and I will probably have to live with this condition for a long time into the future.

I aren't yet married and I don't have children so I guess in that respect I finish the decade as I started it, single. My cat of 16 years died around the middle of the decade but I have two more now so I have double the cats I started the decade with.

I have done a lot more travelling in the last few years than I ever have before. I believe I have visited 11 different countries in the last 4 years as well as all 4 countries of the United Kingdom.

As well as the travelling, the memories that will truly stay with me for the rest of my life are seeing Hull finally win at Wembley, not just the once but twice, back-to-back, not something I ever thought I would see I have to say. 

Who knows what the 2020s will bring? If there is one thing I have learned through my life it is that you can't predict the future but I can hope that Hull will win the Super League at some point and I will see England win the World Cup at Old Trafford in just under 2 years!

Worst decade in my lifetime.

Lost my parents in 2017 and 2019, plus an auntie in 2017 and uncle in 2018 - Mum's siblings.

I'm not moaning though, life is like that. In many ways I've been lucky, even if I haven't always appreciated it.

I tend not to get carried away by sports as I used to, even though my two favourite teams just happened to enjoy their best periods in decades.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Welcomed 2 amazing children into the world.

Started the decade as a deputy headteacher in an affluent area of Essex, ended it as an Executive Head across 3 schools in an extremely deprived area of the East Midlands. 

Developing a beer belly at an alarming rate

Bought a caravan and made time for regular, budget trips that create some great family times we were lacking.

Left one Essex RL club I had founded and developed (and still going from strength to strength) and started another at Bassetlaw Bulldogs. Saw League 2 Bradford City reach the Capital One Cup Final and FA Cup quarter finals, both with incredible runs against Premier League opposition. Been to every CC Final, Magic Weekend and Grand Final. Made numerous trips to Perpignan and saw my adopted Dragons win the CC.

Both parents getting wrinkly and becoming more frail. Time and tide waits for no man.

Really begun to understand that money cannot buy the most important things in life.

Totally changed my (in hindsight embarrassing) views on mental health and depression from seeing the effect on so many people.

Wearing more jumpers and less comfortable on the dance floor at parties!

I am a glass half full guy and hope that the 20s will continue to inspire my love for life. If i am to get a hole in my glass at some stage, I rather hope that it is in the top half! 

11 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

We are a few weeks away from the 2020's.

How were the 2010's for you?

Highs, lows, surprises. Share them here.

You are not answering yourself, Hindle?

I spent four years of if living in the USA, a few months in Spain, a few in Switzerland the rest in Beliguim. Danish rugby league briefly bloomed, but later faded (I missed that as I was living in California at the time).

Career went well, and my health is good. If I could have seen ten years into the future, I would have taken what I saw! Not having kids yet would have surprised me.

Two marriages, and the divorce from the first was the roughest time in my adult life. But, the introspection required to get through it was invaulable.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

A decade where i was out of work for the first time since leaving school, then found myself (after some difficult years) in a good place, working with great people. 

The immediate family are all still alive and pretty well, and I haven't lost many outside that circle to the reaper either.

Overall, a win.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Nearenough said:

A pedant writes....

The decade ends at the end of next year, as there was no year zero...so I'll let u know then then

ill get me coit.

A pedant corrects; don't you mean "types"? :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lost my Nan just into 2010 at 95 , then all her children finally with my mum 2 years ago

2 years in and the business went thankfully I'd downsized the house  

Took me two years to finally get over it and have faith in people again 

Now enjoy what I do but at the age of 59 today not sure how long I can physically keep doing it , working harder now than I've ever done in my life 

Kids are all good , but have to say I don't really understand them ( comes from having them late I suppose ) 

I do have reasonable health so that's good 

Turning into a grumpy old man as recent threads I've started show 

Less stressed about RL these days , just watch and enjoy win lose or draw , it's just a game 

Just had the usual pre Xmas row with the wife , be plenty more before the tree gets put away again 

Overall good 

Must make a start on my ' projects' ( land rover and ' pop ' ) next year in between finishing the house 

2 hours ago, Nearenough said:

A pedant writes....

The decade ends at the end of next year, as there was no year zero...so I'll let u know then then

ill get me coit.

? reminds me of all those people who used to get outraged about the millenium. All people were ever bothered about was the numbers changing!

I started the decade in my mid 20s and engaged, as a newly-qualified teacher still living with my mum after years of University and travelling. 

Ending it in my mid 30s as an experienced teacher, married with two kids with a mortgage, cars etc. All pretty much gone to plan and I can honestly say I've had few real downs in the 2010s. I spent a year unemployed in Ireland, but in hindsight it wasn't much of a low point: dare I say I enjoyed a lot of it! I always knew I'd get work if we went back to England and I did easy enough. 

As someone who has weighed themselves regularly, I reckon I might be the exact same weight and certainly no more than 6lbs either side. The balding is approaching crisis levels though and I've reached the point where I'm less bothered how I look!

To mirror what many have said, my interest in RL has lessened considerably although in hindsight it had already started. I think Widnes' relegation in 2005 and subsequent liquidation in 2007 was the catalyst. It isn't just RL for me, I've always been a sport obsessive yet I now watch about half an hour a year of my football team Everton. It's only big sporting events (World Cups, Olympics, boxing matches) that interests me now. 

Despite being well settled and loving being a dad, I feel like I've lost something of myself these past years. I literally spent a year in Ireland keeping myself more than entertained, yet now I can get an evening to myself and I feel at a loose end. As the kids get older in the 2020s (barring any little accidents!) I'd like to find some more time for me. Career wise, I'll come to a crossroads at some point I reckon: I still like what I do but I'm not sure leadership is for me even though I'm increasingly being led down that route. 

Started the decade with a household of 4 and now it's just the two of us (son still turns up every so often - at Uni). 

My job as a father is obviously changing as the kids are now adults so I need to find something else to do in the 20's. 

Maybe I could learn the Charlston ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

The last 9 years have been tough. I lost my job & registration of 30 years, and found out my partner has been cheating on me, almost since day one. I have declared myself as an alcoholic, and fell out with my brother, my only relative.

On the positive side...... Oh.

6 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

The last 9 years have been tough. I lost my job & registration of 30 years, and found out my partner has been cheating on me, almost since day one. I have declared myself as an alcoholic, and fell out with my brother, my only relative.

On the positive side...... Oh.

Oh dear.

Well at least there’s lots of potential for things to improve.

In the last 10 years, I have paid off the mortgage. I have seen both my children settled, become Grandma twice over and they are the best thing ever.

I have seen Salford reach a grand final, not something I expected. I changed jobs from manging staff to having no responsibility.

Travelled to places I never expected, such as Russia, Estonia and Alaska.

Years have been good 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

started the decade "out of prison" gonna finish the decade "out of prison" 

?

Reminds me of the team building session at work where we had to say something positive about ourselves.  Mine was "well I'm not on crack so there's that"

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

In no particular order.

Good: Moved out, the family puppy is now 6 and a half years old, became friends again with my best friend and stronger than ever (after drifting apart), saved money well, stable job.

Bad: House still isn't a home, my last 2 remaining grandparents died, an uncle died, my best friend's sister died, drifted apart from my best friend for 3 years, forever single, live alone, redundancy, Bulls debacle, no interest in rugby league anymore, dealing with miserableness, still obese.

Blimey has it really been ten years!

I’ve entered my forties realising that although many things change, some things and parts of you stay the same.  And I’m okay with that.

I’m currently in my 15th year at the same public sector organisation (you get less for murder), have only moved home once in ten years after a fairly nomadic existence when young.  Guess I’ve become a creature of habit.

I’ve driven the same make and model of Skoda for ten years (two in total!). Jeez...enough said about that and my only excuse is I used the train everyday!

It’s not all been easy though and I’ve had to cope with losing my mother to cancer and supporting my father emotionally and financially in his retirement.  

I’ve been lucky enough to travel around pretty much every major capital in Europe sometimes with friends or alone, gone through a bucket list of different sport events, but feel the need again for companionship after a break from intimacy.

Oh and I’ve also discovered you good people on the Total Rugby League forum and have written some right guff about conferences in rugby league ? 

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

started the decade "out of prison" gonna finish the decade "out of prison" 

Still 20 days left in the month...

DsRX6bdU8AAMpQq.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 09/12/2019 at 21:26, Bob8 said:

You are not answering yourself, Hindle?

I spent four years of if living in the USA, a few months in Spain, a few in Switzerland the rest in Beliguim. Danish rugby league briefly bloomed, but later faded (I missed that as I was living in California at the time).

Career went well, and my health is good. If I could have seen ten years into the future, I would have taken what I saw! Not having kids yet would have surprised me.

Two marriages, and the divorce from the first was the roughest time in my adult life. But, the introspection required to get through it was invaulable.

Blimey, the other posts make me realise how lucky I have been. All my family have survived the ten years.

Probably still pretty much as physically fit. Spar with your lads in their teens and twenties. All my own, still dark brown, hair. My wife warns me when a girl young enough to be my daughter is flirting with me.

Still in the same flat in Copenhagen, but can now sell it for a place in the suburbs and be mortgage free.

The downside is young men are perfectly allowed to hate me.

All of this is good luck for the most part. I see friends who had their head screwed on better than me and have struggled far more.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived