My step-father is really ill with terminal cancer now

He said he thought he was going to die earlier when he got cold and started to shiver. He's been quite ill with it for 4 years now. Today has been the worst day since he was diagnosed i think. He's just fallen asleep, the tablets have kicked in. It's cancer of the bowel and in a gap between the spine and bowel. He couldn't stand up earlier, that's the first time i've ever seen him not to be able to do that. Just to say he voted Leave and said he a few days ago he's going to vote Conservative, that seems unlikely now, but Plaid are probably going to win here in any case. My biological father died of cancer when i was 7 yrs old, i do remember him.

My step-father smokes and has done for decades, by dad didn't smoke. 

1 hour ago, tonyXIII said:

Sorry to hear that. Hard to know what to say, but I hope you are bearing up.

Thank you, well it's been 4 years now of more or less the same, he's obviously got worse in the last week, the district nurse phoned 999 this morning as he wasn't responding, he's in A&E at the moment, i've just come back from the hospital, my mother is still with him, apparently his kidneys have packed in, so his medication was clogging up, he's a little more responsive now, but still not awake really, my guess is that he'll be dead before the end of the week. But of course i might be very wrong and he'll live longer than me and my mother. He does believe in miracles.  

I hope you have good people around you for support. Enduring this sort of thing alone when people are available is all too common, because it feels like duty.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Life's not fair. You can only play the hand that yo're dealt. Just let him know that he's loved, he's appreciated and that he's done a good job with the family. Whether you believe or not, tell him you'll meet him on the other side.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 12/12/2019 at 21:20, southwalesrabbitoh said:

My step-father died at 4 this afternoon. 

Sorry, I've only just caught up here. My condolences to you and your family.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Archived