There is serious friction between the BBC and the Government with regard to the over-70's getting an  exemption from the Television Licence Fee.

Now the BBC is scrapping Ceefax, which I think is a disgrace. Working class elderly (say 75+) people are generally not that computer savvy. They rely on getting info from Ceefax in a way that they cannot readily replace by surfing the Internet.

Is this cut just being done to spite the Tories? To be honest, if I was a Conservative Party strategist, I'd be using it as an issue in the election campaign.

Any thoughts?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My first thought is "I thought Ceefax stopped years ago" 

Exactly, the only thing I can get from Ceefax on the 3 BBC channels I receive here is subtitles.

Now in Belgium we don’t have the Red Button, doesn’t that give access to similar text news as Ceefax did? Will it be scrapped too?

12 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My first thought is "I thought Ceefax stopped years ago" 

Same here.  They could have at least held a referen...........oh wait

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

41 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yep, ended in 2012 with the digital switchover. 

Apologies. I'm old school, still call it Ceefax. Same with Emmerdale Farm, the Electic Board  and the wireless.?

I think Ceefax is called teletext these days.

The Red Button is where the BBC shows sports that no-one wants to watch, like Women's Football or archaeological music e.g. Deep Purple Rinse and The In-laws Do Motown.

?

15 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Apologies. I'm old school, still call it Ceefax. Same with Emmerdale Farm, the Electic Board  and the wireless.?

I think Ceefax is called teletext these days.

The Red Button is where the BBC shows sports that no-one wants to watch, like Women's Football or archaeological music e.g. Deep Purple Rinse and The In-laws Do Motown.

?

Oh right, yeah I saw that red button text was closing down. Until I'd read about it it was another thing I thought had already gone as well, must be years since I looked on there. Though the last time I watched something on red button is a while, I think it will have been Bradford v Keighley in the challenge cup but I'm one of the more tech savvy individuals who tends to just stream everything. Can't see my grandfather being particularly happy though, he spends more time with the text up than actually watching TV. 

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

There is serious friction between the BBC and the Government with regard to the over-70's getting an  exemption from the Television Licence Fee.

Now the BBC is scrapping Ceefax, which I think is a disgrace. Working class elderly (say 75+) people are generally not that computer savvy. They rely on getting info from Ceefax in a way that they cannot readily replace by surfing the Internet.

Is this cut just being done to spite the Tories? To be honest, if I was a Conservative Party strategist, I'd be using it as an issue in the election campaign.

Any thoughts?

They're scrapping something nobody uses to support things that people do use. You can make out that all 75 year olds are too enfeebled to use an app if you like but that's not my experience.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Any thoughts?

Yes. This belongs onn the Political sub forum u der the heading "straws and how to grasp them," 

36 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes. This belongs onn the Political sub forum u der the heading "straws and how to grasp them," 

Do you know about straws because you haven't got any of your own teeth left?

??

To be fair this was announced in October 2018, I registered my complaint, that as I don't have internet access, and still don't, I would not be able to access my sports results, and news whenever I wanted, the reply told me I can access sports reports via my local radio station. When I contacted BBC Sussex they had no intention of broadcasting Rugby League Championship results in the future, in fact, given the tone of the reply I'm not sure they are aware of Rugby League. Their loss.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They're scrapping something nobody uses to support things that people do use. You can make out that all 75 year olds are too enfeebled to use an app if you like but that's not my experience.

What's an ' app ' ?

10 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Any thoughts?

Most over 75s I see have certainly got a grips with technology when it comes to buying bloody lottery tickets

10  minutes in front of me at the newsagents getting every bloody combination of numbers it whatever 

Archived