Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iangidds

Quake Cooper to Toronto

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

he doesnt have a lot of options.  maybe a short stint in super league with toronto will increase his stocks in the nrl.  its down to the tigers and gold coast for mitchell, both of which are poor options after the roosters.

 

The only potential player whose stock may have increased prior to returning to the NRL following a SL stint is Jamie Lyon. Even then that is debatable and has its own individual circumstances why.

That’s just a simple truth. Doesn’t mean he won’t go, but, I would be very surprised to see him go. Mentally, he’s too young for a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The only potential player whose stock may have increased prior to returning to the NRL following a SL stint is Jamie Lyon. Even then that is debatable and has its own individual circumstances why.

That’s just a simple truth. Doesn’t mean he won’t go, but, I would be very surprised to see him go. Mentally, he’s too young for a start.

jackson hastings 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

jackson hastings 

He would be a great fit for the Wolfpack...a great fit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The only potential player whose stock may have increased prior to returning to the NRL following a SL stint is Jamie Lyon. Even then that is debatable and has its own individual circumstances why.

That’s just a simple truth. Doesn’t mean he won’t go, but, I would be very surprised to see him go. Mentally, he’s too young for a start.

And Blake Green, and Bureta Faraimo, and probably a load of others I cant be bothered thinking about. Basically as ever your talking a load of rollocks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kayakman said:

No room on the cap and only 2 marquee players allowed....too bad.

Wouldn't there be an exemption on the cap because he's coming from Union? I thought there was an exemption from cap for at least the first year of the contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dkw said:

And Blake Green, and Bureta Faraimo, and probably a load of others I cant be bothered thinking about. Basically as ever your talking a load of rollocks.

Ooohhh heaven’s above you do swoop in from nowhere sometimes don’t you. Didn’t see you coming at all.

Rollocks or not...

Blake Green’s stock was not up when he arrived at Melbourne compared to what it was when he left the NRL. It was up after his tenure at Melbourne.

Bureta who? Who does he play for? When did he return to the NRL after playing in the SL?

 

Edited by Sports Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Well, he hasn’t returned yet, so his stock in the NRL hasn’t gone up during his time in SL.

It may do, but it hasn’t yet. Time will tell.
 

His stock was certainly very low when he left the NRL and he is young enough to turn that around. I think he will need another good season or two in the SL, but I may be proved wrong.

edit* here’s a link to a story from 2019 that may also demonstrate JH imminent return, in case you were looking for an article more recent than 2018...

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/league/news/jackson-hastings-nrl-contract-news-2019-super-league/1u7dzipspna5v1qn0nml0f679v

Edited by Sports Prophet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

he doesnt have a lot of options.  maybe a short stint in super league with toronto will increase his stocks in the nrl.  its down to the tigers and gold coast for mitchell, both of which are poor options after the roosters.

 

a few years playing in toronto could make him rediscover his passion for the game.

right now hes over the nrl, he was said to be complaining about the length of the nrl season when in camp with the kangaroos.

if he goes to the tigers or titans his workload will increase dramatically from the roosters where he can go missing for much of the game and his star team mates can carry him

If he thinks that the NRL season is too long then he will be really shocked by a Super League season. It would be a great coup for Toronto and Super League if he comes but I just can't see it and if he does come it would only be because there was nothing viable for him in the NRL and would probably make that clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

If he thinks that the NRL season is too long then he will be really shocked by a Super League season. It would be a great coup for Toronto and Super League if he comes but I just can't see it and if he does come it would only be because there was nothing viable for him in the NRL and would probably make that clear.

its tigers or gold coast as his only options.   if the titans keep jai arrow then they have no money for him.

tigers previously walked away from their offer.  souths as another long shot.  hes burned a lot of bridges at the moment

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrushersForever said:

Wouldn't there be an exemption on the cap because he's coming from Union? I thought there was an exemption from cap for at least the first year of the contract.

Not in Year 2 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Ooohhh heaven’s above you do swoop in from nowhere sometimes don’t you. Didn’t see you coming at all.

Rollocks or not...

Blake Green’s stock was not up when he arrived at Melbourne compared to what it was when he left the NRL. It was up after his tenure at Melbourne.

Bureta who? Who does he play for? When did he return to the NRL after playing in the SL?

 

So Blake Green signed for Melbourne from Wigan in the SL but his stock wasnt up? Hows that work then., how did he manage to sign for a top NRL club? How about Mahe Fonua, barely known in the NRL, came to SL then went back and smashed it up with Wests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Ooohhh heaven’s above you do swoop in from nowhere sometimes don’t you. Didn’t see you coming at all.

Rollocks or not...

Blake Green’s stock was not up when he arrived at Melbourne compared to what it was when he left the NRL. It was up after his tenure at Melbourne.

Bureta who? Who does he play for? When did he return to the NRL after playing in the SL?

 

That is just not true. Green ended up at Hull KR and most Aussies were saying how average he was and how he wasn't really good enough for the NRL. His stock was pretty low on leaving the NRL with few if any suitors. He returned from Wigan a much different player, was in demand and signed for a top club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dkw said:

So Blake Green signed for Melbourne from Wigan in the SL but his stock wasnt up? Hows that work then., how did he manage to sign for a top NRL club? How about Mahe Fonua, barely known in the NRL, came to SL then went back and smashed it up with Wests.

Melbourne are the masters of buying a cheap player and his stocks subsequently rising after a successful stint there. That’s why they have stayed at the top for so many years despite salary cap restrictions.
 

C’mon @dkw, you may not see eye to eye with me often or at all, but at least keep it straight if we’re gonna engage in a discussion. 
 

Fonua... you may have one there but I can’t be certain. He was signed by Wests after SL. You think he was a higher profile player that commanded more interest and a higher salary when arriving at Wests than he had after Melbourne? You might be right. He was certainly talk of the town after a few games w Wests. His arrival to Wests didn’t seem to command much interest though from my memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Damien said:

That is just not true. Green ended up at Hull KR and most Aussies were saying how average he was and how he wasn't really good enough for the NRL. His stock was pretty low on leaving the NRL with few if any suitors. He returned from Wigan a much different player, was in demand and signed for a top club.

I don’t necessarily disagree there may have been slight demand. If you and @dkw both disagree that Jamie Lyon is the only player to return to the NRL with a stock that is higher than when he left, then that’s fine. I guess my comment was more subjective than fact, but there would not be an abundance of examples.

Back to what my challenged comment was in reference to, do you both think it is likely for Mitchell, a representative player on the cusp of further rep honours, will increase his profile, demand and salary potential after a year or two stint at Toronto? I don’t. I think he would drop from consciousness and lose any chance of representative honours whilst he is abroad. He would still be in demand in the NRL, but I don’t think his stock would be as high as those he has turned away in his current negotiations.

It is all a little academic. He still has a 2020 contract at the Roosters if he doesn’t secure another NRL gig before then. I think he is too talented for a total of 15 other NRL teams let him disappear to SL for 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...