Remember any of these Farmduck (and Wests Tigers followers)

A keen and loyal Featherstone Rovers follower known on the TRL forums as fevnut has compiled a list from the records of Featherstone Rovers players who have played for Australian and New Zealand clubs.

Here’s fevnuts list for  West’s Tigers/Western Suburbs/Balmain Tigers

7088C8BD-06EB-46F0-A8EA-3C53DE2E9559.jpeg.1462fb58a6a488c50a6391110590bd97.jpeg

Do you remember them all/any?

Link to fevnut’s blog - all clubs Fev players listed.

https://fevblog452.blogspot.com/2019/12/fev-players-who-have-played-for-1st.html

I don't remember Deryck Fox, Don Graham or Wayne Taekata. Don Graham played mostly before I was born, Taekata only played a few games and Fox was here in 1986. I don't remember much about 1986. I'm sure I would have watched the GB v AUS 1986 series but still don't remember Fox. Maybe I didn't watch it.

It's odd because I remember Currier from around the same period who was very good at Balmain. Probably Wests didn't get much TV coverage in that era while Balmain did. I lived in Canberra in 1986 so I wouldn't have seen Wests on TV very often.

Deryck Fox was a cracking player for Rovers. I can’t think of a better tackler pound for pound. As a small bloke he was fearless and took all comers on. He was also the creative hub of the team. He would often wrong foot opposing teams with cleverly disguised kick throughs. Then of course he was a very reliable and successful goal kicker. He did play international but didn’t get the number of chances he deserved.

The other standout player in that list is Kiwi Brendon Tuuta who was hero worshipped by Fev fans. He was as hard as nails and took some marking. His nickname was Babyfaced Assassin. You knew he meant business every time he pulled on a rugby shirt. Thankfully that shirt was often a Feath one. He is a club legend and remembered to this day.

Aussie Don Graham played a few times for Fev. Tragically he died young.

Originally from Tamworth, New South Wales and after being discharged from the Army [2], Graham began his Sydney league career in 1946. He played two seasons for St. George between 1946-1947 (including the 1946 Grand Final), moving to England he played for Hunslet and Featherstone Rovers (Heritage № 312),[3] moving back to Australia he played for Parramatta for three seasons between 1950-1952. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Graham_(rugby_league)

Interestingly enough it doesn’t mention him playing for any of the clubs referred to in the topic title.

3 hours ago, Graham said:

Deryck Fox was a cracking player for Rovers. I can’t think of a better tackler pound for pound. As a small bloke he was fearless and took all comers on. He was also the creative hub of the team. He would often wrong foot opposing teams with cleverly disguised kick throughs. Then of course he was a very reliable and successful goal kicker. He did play international but didn’t get the number of chances he deserved.

What was the big match where Deryck injured himself kicking off for Bradford Northern? I felt for him, and it really disadvantaged the team.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

What was the big match where Deryck injured himself kicking off for Bradford Northern? I felt for him, and it really disadvantaged the team.

I wasn’t following Bradford and can’t remember that. My brother-in-law is a long time Bradford Northern and now Bulls fan. I’ll ask him next time I see him.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 16:51, Farmduck said:

I don't remember Deryck Fox, Don Graham or Wayne Taekata. Don Graham played mostly before I was born, Taekata only played a few games and Fox was here in 1986. I don't remember much about 1986. I'm sure I would have watched the GB v AUS 1986 series but still don't remember Fox. Maybe I didn't watch it.

It's odd because I remember Currier from around the same period who was very good at Balmain. Probably Wests didn't get much TV coverage in that era while Balmain did. I lived in Canberra in 1986 so I wouldn't have seen Wests on TV very often.

I remember Currier, he was one of a long line of imports Balmain had through the 80s and maybe even 90s.

Andy Currier was one of the worst buys Fev ever made. I seem to remeber we got him after selling Graham Steadman (I think). He got a serious injury almost straight away and was then just a drain on our resources. Foe us he was a big waste of money. We got him from Widnes after he'd had some good performances against us.

1989-90 Balmain Tigers Played 23 Tries 10 Goals 68 Field Goals 0 Pts 168

Archived