Auckland- a league town?

There are very few Europeans playing league in Auckland and the same  in union.

A fortnight ago I watched Glenora playing Marists  there was one in the Marist's team and a couple in the Glenora side.

It's only a matter of time and there won't be any.

Different tale in the South Island though, with the lower grades having plenty Europeans.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

You'll see plenty of European faces enjoying playing rugby league in South Island regions like West Coast and Aoraki. But In Auckland North Shore clubs Northcote, Hibiscus Coast, Central and West Auckland Clubs like Mt Albert and Glenora, South East Auckland club Howick all have reasonable numbers of European players. Not any NZ born and raised European/Pakeha players at the NZ Warriors since Simon Mannering retired 2 years ago. Eiden Auckland was playing for the Warriors under 20's in 2017, currently playing for Mt Albert in the Fox memorial if he can put on a bit more size he could play for the NSW Warriors side. NSW Warriors should sign Canterbury Bulls halfback Brad Campbell who has shown work ethic to travel from the West Coast every week to play in Christchurch and has an excellent kicking game and good all round skills.

I want more people of all ethnicities in NZ to play rugby league, King Vuniyayawa is the 1st Fijian to make the Warriors from the NZ local game. Former Warriors player like Shaun Johnston who has European and Laotian ancestry, Omar Slaimankhel who is from Afghanistan. David Bhana who has Indian and Maori ancestry. I was in Auckland in December last year and on the way to Concert on the fringe of the city I walked past a Brazilian Church with loudspeakers blasting a sermons in Portuguese.... never thought there was enough Brazilians in Auckland to have there own church near the CBD.

Completely endorse your comment about Brad Campbell. You never really know how a player will go at a higher level until it actually happens but he certainly looked to have not just the skill-set but also the temperament to step up.

His teammate in last year`s Bulls, Caius Fa`atili, is a player who looks European but clearly must have Polynesian heritage. I`m no expert on this, but I`ve seen that on NZ census data lots of people define themselves as more than one ethnicity. So the NZ League constituency could be more diverse than superficially we might think. Mount Albert`s Rory Ropati could easily pass as Swedish.

Yeah after having watched Brad Campbell for the Canterbury Bulls for the last 2 years in NZRL Premiership he looks the Business and deserves a shot at Warriors NSW Cup side... if not he should look at other NSW or QLD Cup sides or trying UK or France. Other Bulls player you mentioned Caius Fa'atiti only really young 17 or something definitely looks like he will have a future as a professional player, his mum must be a redhead and he got her genes, either that or he was adopted by Samoans. 

I was watching Fox game recently between Northcote & Richmond Former Kiwi & Warrior Kevin Locke is playing for Northcote, Dose anyone know if Liam Lonergan is Dean Lonergans son or relative? What ever the case Liam Lonergan had a shocker two knock ons and sent to the bin for fighting. Wondering what happend to the grandstand at Birkenhead War Memorial? I'm going for Northcote as I played under 19's for them back in the day.

1 hour ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Yeah after having watched Brad Campbell for the Canterbury Bulls for the last 2 years in NZRL Premiership he looks the Business and deserves a shot at Warriors NSW Cup side... if not he should look at other NSW or QLD Cup sides or trying UK or France. Other Bulls player you mentioned Caius Fa'atiti only really young 17 or something definitely looks like he will have a future as a professional player, his mum must be a redhead and he got her genes, either that or he was adopted by Samoans. 

I was watching Fox game recently between Northcote & Richmond Former Kiwi & Warrior Kevin Locke is playing for Northcote, Dose anyone know if Liam Lonergan is Dean Lonergans son or relative? What ever the case Liam Lonergan had a shocker two knock ons and sent to the bin for fighting. Wondering what happend to the grandstand at Birkenhead War Memorial? I'm going for Northcote as I played under 19's for them back in the day.

Fa`atili was linked up with the Cowboys. Remembering what size I was at 17 if I`d seen him running out for the opposition I`d have got changed and gone home. Good advert for Tag or Touch. There`s a younger brother too who`s linked with the Broncos. Good to see NRL clubs aware of Canterbury League, but you have to wonder where the Warriors are.

I watched the Northcote - Richmond game too. Hate to sound smug but I called the sin-binning before it happened. Seen it squillions of times. A Player who`s just made errors is a bomb ready to go off in every subsequent tackle. Wasn`t really fighting though.

After the try of the match, in the backdrop behind the dead ball line I spotted a dog in a Tigers jersey. Hardly any reaction. Clearly hard to please. There`s a job at Channel 9 for him when Phil Gould moves on.

On 13/12/2019 at 09:13, DC77 said:

This is where I think RL is missing a trick. RL has introduced wrestling. It’s nowhere near as clean and open as it was, and is becoming attritional like RU (albeit not as far down the path). The RL games at Wembley that I watched on YouTube from the era of Schofield were far more attractive than today’s game, and I think if RL was able to get back to that open style of running, attacking rugby, not bogged down by wrestling and risk averse tactics (advocated by the ilk of Shaun Wane), the gulf between the two codes would be vast, and would see swathes of RU fans ditch that for RL.

Prophetic. The amount of Union writers praising League presently is incredible. One respected Union man wrote after the weekend that (w/ regards to the League),  "You dare not to look away even for a second in case you miss something".

8 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Liam Lonergan is indeed Deans son.

the grandstand was bowled four years ago when the council realised that after 30 years of neglect it could fall over at any time. Their latest estimate for a replacement is 2033! Tigers are now subletting the cricket clubrooms (along with the athletics club who were also rendered homeless).

there has been a noticeable decline in the number of Europeans playing in Auckland even in the last decade and those that remain are essentially from the staunchest of league families - eg Eiden Ackland son of John and Regan McClennan son of Bluey in the Mt Albert Halves . It’s worrying because with Polynesians only making up 15pc of Aucklands population league is effectively failing to engage the remaining 85pc (id argue there’s also been a decline in Maori playing league, but nowhere near as noticeable). 

26 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Good one, I live in Wellington. Do you have much to do with the local game in Auckland as a player, coach, ref, administrator, live spectator?

yeah I refereed premier and provincial football (and some NSW Cup) until three years ago. not very involved any more. 

managed to referee one game at RL Park in Wellington, which was cool. 

On 15/07/2020 at 16:35, Bondi Cannon said:

yeah I refereed premier and provincial football (and some NSW Cup) until three years ago. not very involved any more. 

managed to referee one game at RL Park in Wellington, which was cool. 

Something ive always wondered was how much do refs get paid in NZ? 

I live down the road from Rugby League park... its so weird that Rugby League Park is now the training base for Hurricanes rugby Union side and Rugby League isnt played there much any more.

1 minute ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I live down the road from Rugby League park... its so weird that Rugby League Park is now the training base for Hurricanes rugby Union side and Rugby League isnt played there much any more.

I thought that was all a temporary arrangement after the earthquake and it was then returning to RL control?

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

Oh yes I was, I didn't realise there were two!

No worries yeah theres a Rugby League Park in Wellington and its now primarily used as the training base of the Hurricanes Rugby Union side. In Christchurch there was a Deal between Canterbury Rugby League, the council and Crusaders Rugby Union after Christchurch earthquake to let union use Rugby League Park in Christchurch. in Exchange the council have now built Canterbury Rugby League there own ground called Nga Puna Wai.

• John Drake changed the title to Auckland- a league town?
On 16/07/2020 at 22:30, kiwis 13 6 said:

For the fox it’s about 80 bucks a game , provincial games from memory were about 50 plus expenses and the NSW  - Holden cup stuff was much better - about $400 for a line and $600 for a middle . 

5 hours ago, Bondi Cannon said:

For the fox it’s about 80 bucks a game , provincial games from memory were about 50 plus expenses and the NSW  - Holden cup stuff was much better - about $400 for a line and $600 for a middle . 

Thats decent $80 for 2 hours of your time, even $50 is Ok. Geez NSW Cup alright fulltime jobs people only make $800 a week. Did you get much verbal abuse from players or supporters?

7 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Thats decent $80 for 2 hours of your time, even $50 is Ok. Geez NSW Cup alright fulltime jobs people only make $800 a week. Did you get much verbal abuse from players or supporters?

Yeah it was ok but there’s context to that - you had to go to a meeting every week and when I was doing the nrl stuff there was an extra training once a week plus some Sunday mornings and you’d train every day anyway. There was only say 12 nsw cup and 12 Holden cup games in Nz each season and a pool of guys competing so you’d only get some of those games. One of the reasons I gave it away was the from the sidelines was getting worse. The players were fine but I found the coaches whinging when they had lost pretty intolerable. 

On 18/07/2020 at 23:51, Bondi Cannon said:

Yeah it was ok but there’s context to that - you had to go to a meeting every week and when I was doing the nrl stuff there was an extra training once a week plus some Sunday mornings and you’d train every day anyway. There was only say 12 nsw cup and 12 Holden cup games in Nz each season and a pool of guys competing so you’d only get some of those games. One of the reasons I gave it away was the from the sidelines was getting worse. The players were fine but I found the coaches whinging when they had lost pretty intolerable. 

Interesting good to know people can make a bit of money as a ref in NZ, the way toattract people to be ref is as part time job, where you can keep fit and remain involved in the sport. Obviously its a tough job and refs get a bit of flack and the crappiest pink uniforms NRL ref wear dont help much either, without refs we dont have a sport.

What do players in Fox Memorial get paid these days? I think some are amateurs or maybe a win bonus and Ive heard some better players get reasonable money? Is there cash prize for wining the Fox Memorial? I remember reading a few years ago after PT Chev won the Fox that sponsors shouted the whole team a trip to Bali. Back in the mid 90's when i played for Northcote Tigers Jrs the Premier side in the Fox memorial had $50 prize for Best Forward and Back and $100 for player of the day.

On 20/07/2020 at 14:25, kiwis 13 6 said:

Interesting good to know people can make a bit of money as a ref in NZ, the way toattract people to be ref is as part time job, where you can keep fit and remain involved in the sport. Obviously its a tough job and refs get a bit of flack and the crappiest pink uniforms NRL ref wear dont help much either, without refs we dont have a sport.

What do players in Fox Memorial get paid these days? I think some are amateurs or maybe a win bonus and Ive heard some better players get reasonable money? Is there cash prize for wining the Fox Memorial? I remember reading a few years ago after PT Chev won the Fox that sponsors shouted the whole team a trip to Bali. Back in the mid 90's when i played for Northcote Tigers Jrs the Premier side in the Fox memorial had $50 prize for Best Forward and Back and $100 for player of the day.

Everyone officially denies it but the word I’ve heard from well placed people is that the top handful could be on as much as $400 a game - think of the guys with some NRL experience. I don’t think all the Fox clubs would be paying but the ones who don’t have many of their own juniors in their top side and are always up around the top four would be, you could imagine. 

Interesting discussion on the changing ethnic demographics of Auckland. Given the influx of East Asian immigrants who are less interested in either of the rugby codes, how are the authorities attempting to get them into the game?

6 minutes ago, uwotm8 said:

Interesting discussion on the changing ethnic demographics of Auckland. Given the influx of East Asian immigrants who are less interested in either of the rugby codes, how are the authorities attempting to get them into the game?

Most of them will end up playing union at their high school. League would need to work hard to attract them to league clubs they don't know exist.

3 hours ago, uwotm8 said:

3 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Most of them will end up playing union at their high school. League would need to work hard to attract them to league clubs they don't know exist.

I referenced the Counties-Manukau ethnic comp previously. It seems to have more success with South Asians than East Asians. The organisers have specifically said it`s to engage with blokes who are nervous about contending with generally bigger Polynesians.

This highlights a truth that applies everywhere in RL. If our fanbase is linked to the numbers playing open-age we`re destined to decline. Whenever I see a player carted off with a possible broken limb I imagine what effect this has on their life, especially their employment. Even with insurance the number of adults who can, or would want to, afford such a risk is relatively small and falling.

It`s important to distinguish between adult playing numbers and building a fanbase. To do the latter RL clubs will be more attractive if they get their Tag RL act together. This is true for all demographics, but perhaps especially so for East Asians.

On 20/07/2020 at 03:25, kiwis 13 6 said:

The Auckland refs look fine. Not so, those in Canterbury. Those big blue cross on a pink background shirts are the product of a diseased mind. Maybe the refs have to walk the streets of Christchurch wearing them as part of their training. Toughen them up, inure them against abuse and ridicule.

Sometimes French RL refs are required to be unpretty in pink. Seems to be a trend in vileness.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I referenced the Counties-Manukau ethnic comp previously. It seems to have more success with South Asians than East Asians. The organisers have specifically said it`s to engage with blokes who are nervous about contending with generally bigger Polynesians.

Competition set up were Indians playing other Indians as way to introduce the sport in Auckland has its merits. Every year there in NZ there are Maori tournaments, Pacific Islanders in Auckland and Wellington and Christchurch have had Pacific cup end of season tournaments from time to time. Imagine setting up a competition in Auckland or anywhere in NZ for Europeans to play against other Europeans as a introduction to the sport, It would highly unlikely to ever happen and i am not seriously suggesting that happen. How about NZRL or ARL or anyone set up a version of the game that is easy to play for people being introduced to the sport that is truly welcoming to all and everyone.

Archived