Auckland- a league town?

On 11/12/2019 at 19:16, Themusician_2 said:

There’s more union players in Auckland than league players. The only city in New Zealand where league is bigger than union is  Greymouth in the west coast. Due to the Blues being so ###### for so long the warriors have more fans than the blues and fans gravitate to other nz super rugby teams.  Basketball has outgrown both codes in Auckland.

Been to Greymouth, international rl is played there, but it is only a small town with a small stadium.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/12/2019 at 19:16, Themusician_2 said:

There’s more union players in Auckland than league players. The only city in New Zealand where league is bigger than union is  Greymouth in the west coast. Due to the Blues being so ###### for so long the warriors have more fans than the blues and fans gravitate to other nz super rugby teams.  Basketball has outgrown both codes in Auckland.

Rubbish

On 12/12/2019 at 09:25, Boomer Bang Wool said:

You can’t be serious. The NBA is one of the most exciting leagues in the world. Sorry to say but I’d watch the NBA over Super League any day 

You're more than welcome to watch that repetitive crud, why not go the whole hog and clutter their forum up instead. 

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

You're more than welcome to watch that repetitive crud, why not go the whole hog and clutter their forum up instead. 

I know that yawn people like to appear like Banquo's ghost on other sport's websites and forums but I didn't have any idea the basketball fans followed suit.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

12 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

The biggest flaw in basketball is that scoring is too easy, which makes a score mean less. Unless you have the memory of a goldfish you can’t celebrate a score, because 20 seconds later the opposition will invariably score. It only gets interesting in the last minute or so if the scores are close, as then a score starts to become decisive (meaningful). 

Its not my cup of tea, but If I did have an interest in it I’d raise the rim another two feet to try and eliminate much of the easy scoring. The 7 ft blokes that barely have to get off the ground to place the ball inside the hoop is very tedious. The 6 ft to 6 ft 4 in blokes are infinitely more impressive, talented and watchable as accuracy is required for them to score as well as having to manoeuvre to get into a shooting position. 

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

The biggest flaw in basketball is that scoring is too easy, which makes a score mean less. Unless you have the memory of a goldfish you can’t celebrate a score, because 20 seconds later the opposition will invariably score. It only gets interesting in the last minute or so if the scores are close, as then a score starts to become decisive (meaningful). 

Its not my cup of tea, but If I did have an interest in it I’d raise the rim another two feet to try and eliminate much of the easy scoring. The 7 ft blokes that barely have to get off the ground to place the ball inside the hoop is very tedious. The 6 ft to 6 ft 4 in blokes are infinitely more impressive, talented and watchable as accuracy is required for them to score as well as having to manoeuvre to get into a shooting position. 

There are a lot of people that think the rim height in Basketball should be raised to get back to the game it was, pretty much for the reasons you state. 

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

The biggest flaw in basketball is that scoring is too easy, which makes a score mean less. 

For me an even bigger flaw is all the calls for fouls. There must be more than meets the eye, because whenever I`ve watched it anyone who gets in the way of the player in possession gets penalised. Netball is similarly irritating with constant dubious calls for contact as a dominant part of the game.

20 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Rubbish

Indeed so. About a third of the NZ population live in the greater Auckland region. Like any major city it`s variegated. There are parts of Auckland where League is bigger than Union, about the same, or not much in it. The same applies to some smaller NZ towns. Not just on the West Coast. Huntly probably remains the strongest.

18 hours ago, DC77 said:

Its not my cup of tea, but If I did have an interest in it I’d raise the rim another two feet

It`s not my cup of tea either, but if I did have an interest in it as well, I`d introduce the tackle !

10 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Indeed so. About a third of the NZ population live in the greater Auckland region. Like any major city it`s variegated. There are parts of Auckland where League is bigger than Union, about the same, or not much in it. The same applies to some smaller NZ towns. Not just on the West Coast. Huntly probably remains the strongest.

There are also many suburbs of Auckland where there's no league or union but other sports clubs like netball or hockey

Archived