Stuart Cummings departs Sky

DoubleD

10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Jobs for the boys? Or best man for the job? You decide.......................anyway, i'll be pleased not having to endure him next year.

http://www.rlif.com/article/8805/international-rugby-league-appoints-stuart-cummings-as-match-official-manager

Not on sky anymore?..marvellous!

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Christmas Miracles exist. 

Felt a bit for him in a way because he’d say one thing trying to explain the rules and what the likely decision should be with the video referee and then the incompetent clowns currently refereeing our sport would give something completely opposite. 

The people refereeing our sport today are far from incompetent. We have put them in an awful position by making almost every decision they make a judgement call because every tackle and every play the ball pretty much breaks the laws of the game and we ask every referee to decide how much they are prepared to tolerate as they try to balance keeping control of the game with letting it flow for our entertainment.

And then we demand that this completely arbitrary line of subjective penalties is consistent across all of them!

They are in an awful position and they do remarkably well given the circumstances. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The people refereeing our sport today are far from incompetent. We have put them in an awful position by making almost every decision they make a judgement call because every tackle and every play the ball pretty much breaks the laws of the game and we ask every referee to decide how much they are prepared to tolerate as they try to balance keeping control of the game with letting it flow for our entertainment.

And then we demand that this completely arbitrary line of subjective penalties is consistent across all of them!

They are in an awful position and they do remarkably well given the circumstances. 

Totally agree.

It really bugs me when for example the ball comes loose when a player is tackled and the ref has to instantly decide if it is a knock on or ripped out.  From 5 viewpoints the ref is deemed correct but from another camera angle it clearly shows a mistake.  We then get the commentators having a go along with the thousands of aggrieved supporters.  Then some of those supporters or tv viewers then get on their soapbox via sites like this venting their anger.

For me the multiple camera angles have helped crucify refs in all sports. IMHO refs overall are better than their predecessors.  If you do not agree go watch RL games from 20/30/40 years ago.  Those refs had the luxury of one or two cameras on them and the only adverse comment would be Ray French going ‘that looked a bit debatable’.

The problem is the way he was used. he shouldn't be a co commentator, but should be used at half time or full time and only to explain the call of the ref, not second guess him.

There are better people than SC to do this role and certainly not Ganson.  I would prefer someone like Ian smith

I always felt his main role was to slap Stevo down and he did a pretty good job of it.

Once Stevo retired, Cummings seemed to have outlived his usefulness.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

21 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Totally agree.

It really bugs me when for example the ball comes loose when a player is tackled and the ref has to instantly decide if it is a knock on or ripped out.  From 5 viewpoints the ref is deemed correct but from another camera angle it clearly shows a mistake.  We then get the commentators having a go along with the thousands of aggrieved supporters.  Then some of those supporters or tv viewers then get on their soapbox via sites like this venting their anger.

For me the multiple camera angles have helped crucify refs in all sports. IMHO refs overall are better than their predecessors.  If you do not agree go watch RL games from 20/30/40 years ago.  Those refs had the luxury of one or two cameras on them and the only adverse comment would be Ray French going ‘that looked a bit debatable’.

Completely agree. We seem to have an unhealthy obsession with referees in RL, and it really doesn't help. 

We have coaches using referees as a lightning rod to divert attention from their failings, players doing likewise, official club social media accounts criticising officials on Twitter, owners and chairmen questioning the integrity of officials in programme notes and fans bemoaning the choice of referee when the weekly appointments come out. 

When we start expecting the players to be 100% faultless, then we can start expecting the same of the officials. 

Well as someone not immersed in the game from youth, but came into it about 7 years ago , I always found his comments helpful in following the action. I'm sorry he's leaving. If they have another lined up for the role, fine, but if they decide not to bother to save money, that's worrying.

45 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Well as someone not immersed in the game from youth, but came into it about 7 years ago , I always found his comments helpful in following the action. I'm sorry he's leaving. If they have another lined up for the role, fine, but if they decide not to bother to save money, that's worrying.

If you need a ref on commentary explaining things then the commentators aren’t doing their job or well versed enough. You should get commentators who know what they’re talking about rather than a ref to adjudicate things. Its embarrassing. 

I also agree with other posters that we scrutinise far too much, to the detriment of the game. They do so less in NRL

21 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

If you need a ref on commentary explaining things then the commentators aren’t doing their job or well versed enough. You should get commentators who know what they’re talking about rather than a ref to adjudicate things. Its embarrassing. 

I also agree with other posters that we scrutinise far too much, to the detriment of the game. They do so less in NRL

I'm not a fan of the NRL pundits in the main. They are basically more articulate versions of Baz and Tez. They get away with absolute nonsense when it comes to discussions on rules. 

I didn't have a massive issue with Cummings tbh, although I don't think he had the charisma really which was a bigger issue than the concept of somebody explaining technicalities. 

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

I always felt his main role was to slap Stevo down and he did a pretty good job of it.

Once Stevo retired, Cummings seemed to have outlived his usefulness.

Totally agree with this, Stevo was constantly misinforming people of what he thought the rules were, Cummings was a breath of rational fresh air. I still didn't mind him for factual input on obscure or marginal decisions but his key purpose has gone as the current Sky lot know and understand the rules a lot better than Stevo did.

13 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I’ve no issue with a Ref summarising but a guy gurgling into the mike and changing his mind on different angles isn’t good viewing or listening.  Far from decisive or thought provoking either.  Players are ridiculing him but it’s not easy behind the mike.

The commentator, summariser should be able to improve on the visuals, but Stuart doesn’t.  Ray Warren, Voss do.  Dave Woods ain’t bad either and Mark Chapman has the enthusiasm.  

Sky need to find a commentator with the enthusiasm of either Warren or Voss plus having a neutral English accent.  We should be able to close our eyes to the game and still be on the edge of our seat through commentary.  Close your eyes when Stuart comments and you’ll be asleep quickly.

Archived