The next frontier

DoubleD

For me, Brazil and Turkey are 2 nations with the greatest potential out there.................lots of good things going on ground level and they're significant sized nations which could potentially support a professional league in future.

Good to see this recent development.........

https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/brazil/rugby-league-world-cup-trophy-visits-brazil

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

For me, Brazil and Turkey are 2 nations with the greatest potential out there.................lots of good things going on ground level and they're significant sized nations which could potentially support a professional league in future.

https://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/brazil/rugby-league-world-cup-trophy-visits-brazil

Why those two out of everyone?

This week’s Chasing Kangaroos Podcast is mainly about Brazil, really interesting, there seem to be a lot of RL enthusiasts there and there is now a school’s programme in Sao Paolo which is unprecedented. Also their women’s team being in the WC has generated a load of interest and participant uptake  

Also (surprisingly, to me at least) there are apparently as many Union players in Brazil as there are in Argentina (c.100k in each) so there is definitely potential if any of them can be persuaded to swap to the superior game.  

Why do you say Turkey though DD? Spain might also have some potential, especially the Valencia area where there is already a league and obviously some people hoping to set up a League One team. 

The game's main development priority needs to be the Pacific islands to establish RL as the region's number one code.

In Europe Serbia/Balkans and Ukraine need more support.

I agree that Spain should be assisted. And Italy. I'd be satisfied with a stable competition of twenty or so clubs in each of these nations.

I also agree that Brazil should be a priority given its impressive growth thus far. 

The USA still has enormous potential but seems to lack effective organisation and vision. 

Finally, my left field suggestions are China and Albania. 

The NRL could gain a niche market in China. Pre-season trial matches could be played there and development work done alongside. Given the nature of the Chinese government, if it gains their support then it could lead to the establishment of clubs and a national team. Chinese money is already funding next year's Samoa 9s, so a seed is already there. Also, with the game progressing nicely in other areas of SE Asia, like Japan, Thailand and the Philippines, it could be an incentive to the Chinese given their geo-political aims! (though an incredibly miniscule part of their aims).

Why Albania? Well, aside from the fact that I love that country, I think that it has some potential even though it lack even a rugby union scene. Without wishing to stereotype a nation, they are a fairly rugged and physical bunch. With average salaries about £300 per month the cost of funding development work won't be too onerous. They're a proud people and the idea of being the region's big dogs could be an attraction.

Wherever RL chooses to develop next (if it does) we need to be honest and understand that with the possible exception of France it could be decades before any other nation has a domestic game of a size and strength to challenge the big three without heritage players.

Just now, SSoutherner said:

I feel League is easier to play at a low level on artificial or rock hard pitches compared to Union. So if you want to grow the game a good place to start is getting the grass roots game going in hotter countries with less full grass pitches

I like your thoughts, get the grass roots going where the less full grass pitches are! 

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Have we given up on Scotland, Wales, Ireland and anywhere south of Warrington then??

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

This week’s Chasing Kangaroos Podcast is mainly about Brazil, really interesting, there seem to be a lot of RL enthusiasts there and there is now a school’s programme in Sao Paolo which is unprecedented. Also their women’s team being in the WC has generated a load of interest and participant uptake  

Also (surprisingly, to me at least) there are apparently as many Union players in Brazil as there are in Argentina (c.100k in each) so there is definitely potential if any of them can be persuaded to swap to the superior game.  

Why do you say Turkey though DD? Spain might also have some potential, especially the Valencia area where there is already a league and obviously some people hoping to set up a League One team. 

Lots of good things going on in Turkey at grassroots. Huge developments, they’ll surpass Serbia before long. 

Spain has sadly regressed. Hopefully the Valencia club can reignite but I have my doubts

11 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Lots of good things going on in Turkey at grassroots. Huge developments, they’ll surpass Serbia before long. 

Spain has sadly regressed. Hopefully the Valencia club can reignite but I have my doubts

Personally, I’d leave Spain to themselves.  

I doubt very much the game will grow, or be stimulated to grow, in any of our home nations unless there is concerted effort.  Shame as they are the closest and seem so obvious.

49 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Personally, I’d leave Spain to themselves.  

I doubt very much the game will grow, or be stimulated to grow, in any of our home nations unless there is concerted effort.  Shame as they are the closest and seem so obvious.

There’s better prospects elsewhere imho. Ireland is saturated with other codes, Scotland doesn’t seem interested and Wales is too Union dominated - it’s not like NWC or WWR have made much progress there. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There’s better prospects elsewhere imho. Ireland is saturated with other codes, Scotland doesn’t seem interested and Wales is too Union dominated - it’s not like NWC or WWR have made much progress there. 

I find Scotland a strange one.  The tribal rivalry is there (Glasgow) and can’t help but feel the same feelings would reflect in any amateur RL clubs setting up.  Basically across the West-east corridor.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I find Scotland a strange one.  The tribal rivalry is there (Glasgow) and can’t help but feel the same feelings would reflect in any amateur RL clubs setting up.  Basically across the West-east corridor.

Are you proposing that RL in Scotland is set up along sectarian lines to help it grow?

18 hours ago, Number 16 said:

The game's main development priority needs to be the Pacific islands to establish RL as the region's number one code.

In Europe Serbia/Balkans and Ukraine need more support.

I agree that Spain should be assisted. And Italy. I'd be satisfied with a stable competition of twenty or so clubs in each of these nations.

I also agree that Brazil should be a priority given its impressive growth thus far. 

The USA still has enormous potential but seems to lack effective organisation and vision. 

Finally, my left field suggestions are China and Albania. 

The NRL could gain a niche market in China. Pre-season trial matches could be played there and development work done alongside. Given the nature of the Chinese government, if it gains their support then it could lead to the establishment of clubs and a national team. Chinese money is already funding next year's Samoa 9s, so a seed is already there. Also, with the game progressing nicely in other areas of SE Asia, like Japan, Thailand and the Philippines, it could be an incentive to the Chinese given their geo-political aims! (though an incredibly miniscule part of their aims).

Why Albania? Well, aside from the fact that I love that country, I think that it has some potential even though it lack even a rugby union scene. Without wishing to stereotype a nation, they are a fairly rugged and physical bunch. With average salaries about £300 per month the cost of funding development work won't be too onerous. They're a proud people and the idea of being the region's big dogs could be an attraction.

Wherever RL chooses to develop next (if it does) we need to be honest and understand that with the possible exception of France it could be decades before any other nation has a domestic game of a size and strength to challenge the big three without heritage players.

Pacific absolutely 

It should.be a goldmine for league 

Loads of talented players but gain loads of strong nations for our world cup 

Stuff is being done but more needs to be done

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Are you proposing that RL in Scotland is set up along sectarian lines to help it grow?

Not at all, but the rivalry for football in Scotland  is similar to what we have in RL.  2 or 3 teams in each of Edinburgh and Glasgow could work imo, but the attempts so far do not show that.  Tribal rivalry such as Hull, Wigan/Saints and Cumbria.

Having worked in that area over many years I’ve had plenty of discussions with Scots in pubs and work sites around RL and a lot have said the game would go well.  In reality it’s done nothing of the sort.

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Not at all, but the rivalry for football in Scotland  is similar to what we have in RL.  2 or 3 teams in each of Edinburgh and Glasgow could work imo, but the attempts so far do not show that.  Tribal rivalry such as Hull, Wigan/Saints and Cumbria.

Having worked in that area over many years I’ve had plenty of discussions with Scots in pubs and work sites around RL and a lot have said the game would go well.  In reality it’s done nothing of the sort.

I’d have thought it would be more popular in working class areas than Union is, but so guess it takes people willing to invest significant sums in the game there, like Newcastle have done. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I’d have thought it would be more popular in working class areas than Union is, but so guess it takes people willing to invest significant sums in the game there, like Newcastle have done. 

Newcastle have also had assistances from the RFL with development officers.  A long way from the thread of Brazil and Turkey, but the next logical step would be Middlesbrough, capturing the catchment area of Stockton, Darlo etc.  Not big places but could be stimulated by the WC game.

Archived