RLIF should abolish 7s

1 hour ago, sigesige00 said:

There is no major 7s tounament, and no possibility of the future development of 7s.

13s and 9s are enough for RL.  There should be 9s World Cup.

Yes you are right 

We don't want people to confuse league with rugby union sevens 

47 minutes ago, Click said:

It stands for In Real Life, so I can only assume they have a physical presence, but no online one.

Which isn't too dissimilar to how it actually seems to work. Minus the phyiscal presence

Wow you are hilarious.

You should do comedy 

While I think that 'abolish' is harsh, certainly we should be putting our focus on 9's as the short format contact version of the game as it has some momentum and the best strategies are usually the easiest to understand and execute. 

13 a side for those playing serious full contact.

9's for a full contact short form version.

Tag for those looking for fun, social and keeping fit without contact.

Junior leagues for kids and Seniors for the likes of me.

PDRL.

Wheelchair.

All of the above across the men's and women's game with an international focus and desire to build as one sport would do me nicely.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• 5 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 23:19, aj1908 said:

Yes you are right 

We don't want people to confuse league with rugby union sevens 

I have changed my opinion.  My new suggestion is to merge RU 7s and RL 7s.

New name should be simply "Sevens Rugby Football".  A new international organisation "World Sevens Rugby Football Council", independent from World Rugby and International Rugby League, should be founded.

Sevens Rugby Football will be used as development for both RL and RU.

15 minutes ago, sigesige00 said:

New name should be simply "Sevens Rugby Football".  A new international organisation "World Sevens Rugby Football Council", independent from World Rugby and International Rugby League, should be founded.

I hope you’ve been thinking about other things too since you last posted in here.. ?

1 hour ago, sigesige00 said:

I like it.

I think you should press on with this idea. Please update us weekly on your progress.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, sigesige00 said:

what about Rugby League 15s? Ban that too?

Rugby League needs to work out what it’s doing with Nines. Australia has it in the shape of the Auckland/Perth 9s and there was a World Cup in Sydney last year but it seems to have gone cold since. Is the RLIF going to put a focus on that now? Is there a follow up to the World Cup? Is there going to be a qualification process for it? Are we going to encourage club sides to play it? Are we going to encourage the amateur and community sides to play it more?

I like the idea of Tag Rugby, too, which seems to be linked to Rugby League as it’s always showcased at Magic. That’s the social game we should push as it’s for all genders and abilities and isn’t as physical as the full game. 

On 07/06/2020 at 12:10, Hela Wigmen said:

Rugby League needs to work out what it’s doing with Nines. Australia has it in the shape of the Auckland/Perth 9s and there was a World Cup in Sydney last year but it seems to have gone cold since. Is the RLIF going to put a focus on that now? Is there a follow up to the World Cup? Is there going to be a qualification process for it? Are we going to encourage club sides to play it? Are we going to encourage the amateur and community sides to play it more?

I like the idea of Tag Rugby, too, which seems to be linked to Rugby League as it’s always showcased at Magic. That’s the social game we should push as it’s for all genders and abilities and isn’t as physical as the full game. 

Agreed about tag. I wouldn’t want to play full RL any more I wouldn’t last six tackles but I’d love to have a game of tag with a load of other blokes in their 40s. 

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agreed about tag. I wouldn’t want to play full RL any more I wouldn’t last six tackles but I’d love to have a game of tag with a load of other blokes in their 40s. 

In some ways we have too much variation. Try tag rugby is connected to RL with leagues and cups , you have 9s full contact RL where there is only one competition in London at challenge cup weekend. You also have standard touch "which follows the rules of RL" you also have the newest creation of Xleague too where the tackle happens by touching the ball. All of these are shorter versions of RL 

If I was a new player I wouldn't know which to get involved in I probably wouldn't play 9s as only can play once a year. Tag although plenty of options isn't the cheapest as you have to pay for player entry in a team and buy the right shorts too. Xleague for me might be the way forward to replace touch possibly 

Archived