RLIF should abolish 7s

25 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Wasn’t there one before?

To replace a cancelled because of a pandemic tournament, do you mean?

When we restart the RFL/SL will look at many ways of raising income, as we have cancelled Blackpool & Majick w/ends, when we get back to "normal", why not have a combined 9's weekend?

18 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

To replace a cancelled because of a pandemic tournament, do you mean?

When we restart the RFL/SL will look at many ways of raising income, as we have cancelled Blackpool & Majick w/ends, when we get back to "normal", why not have a combined 9's weekend?

No, I’m sure there was a Nines tournament the same weekend as the Northern Rail Cup for all the sides that weren’t part of the final. Seem to remember Blackpool winning it. 

18 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

In some ways we have too much variation. Try tag rugby is connected to RL with leagues and cups , you have 9s full contact RL where there is only one competition in London at challenge cup weekend. You also have standard touch "which follows the rules of RL" you also have the newest creation of Xleague too where the tackle happens by touching the ball. All of these are shorter versions of RL 

If I was a new player I wouldn't know which to get involved in I probably wouldn't play 9s as only can play once a year. Tag although plenty of options isn't the cheapest as you have to pay for player entry in a team and buy the right shorts too. Xleague for me might be the way forward to replace touch possibly 

The key thing about Tag RL is to integrate it into our community clubs. Many people who play, or could be attracted to play, Tag would never dream of playing Tackle and therefore never have a connection with RL. Tag can mean more players, members, volunteers drawn from demographics we currently don`t reach. With more people involved in RL clubs the costs of playing Tag would come down.

Something like this has happened in Country NSW with Ladies League Tag (LLT). Because it`s part of the same league and club structure as Tackle, it`s played, usually first up on the gameday schedule, 11 a-side, on a full-size pitch, with goal-kicking, unlike the truncated 8 a-side Oztag version. By all accounts it`s been hugely successful in increasing participation and membership numbers for their clubs.

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The key thing about Tag RL is to integrate it into our community clubs. Many people who play, or could be attracted to play, Tag would never dream of playing Tackle and therefore never have a connection with RL. Tag can mean more players, members, volunteers drawn from demographics we currently don`t reach. With more people involved in RL clubs the costs of playing Tag would come down.

Something like this has happened in Country NSW with Ladies League Tag (LLT). Because it`s part of the same league and club structure as Tackle, it`s played, usually first up on the gameday schedule, 11 a-side, on a full-size pitch, with goal-kicking, unlike the truncated 8 a-side Oztag version. By all accounts it`s been hugely successful in increasing participation and membership numbers for their clubs.

Yeah I definitely see the potential as can easily be run by the foundations of the pro clubs and introduced easily to other clubs/schools by community clubs, most recently York have done xleague and touch sessions from the foundation which is great and tag is available in leagues around Leeds. Personally I think it would be easier if there was one version of non contact. Xleague needs less equipment than tag and like tag doesn't involve goal kicking so both can be introduced on 4G pitches used for 5 aside soccer etc tag is definitely more established

However in typical RFL style Xleague is the same name of American Football in Japan and if you add Rugby to that you end up getting results for Rugby X which is more of a Union 7s tournament so maybe Tag might be the option we have it for LDRL and maybe if it was renamed RFL Community Tag or similar people would know the link. Clubs with community foundations could be assigned an area to run a league with the winners of that league potentially playing in regional or national Cups/playoffs if you decided to structure it. From what I understand they split players already into ability so like A Grade and B grade with leagues between teams in there own grades etc. 

I’ll be honest, I’ve never heard of XLeague before and having Googled it, can’t find a lot of information about it. 

I also agree that a variation of Tag/Touch Rugby should be incorporated into amateur clubs as it does create a far bigger reach for the game and the club. 

15 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ll be honest, I’ve never heard of XLeague before and having Googled it, can’t find a lot of information about it. 

I also agree that a variation of Tag/Touch Rugby should be incorporated into amateur clubs as it does create a far bigger reach for the game and the club. 

To make matters worse it's pronounced Cross league too! https://www.rugby-league.com/get_involved/play/x-league

The International Rugby League should not be abolishing any versions of the game in my opinion, whilst yes it should have it's primary focuses (ie. 9-a-side and 13-a-side) and only be investing in those focuses, it should be welcoming all variations of the sport, especially whilst the sport is still so new to so many markets around the world.

Rugby League has shot itself in the foot by not being inclusive before, hence why Touch Football and Tag Football are separate international associations, and in most markets, separate governing bodies.  If the game had embraced them before, we'd be a far larger sport and would already be qualifying for the likes of Sports Accord, etc

Whilst League Sevens isn't hugely popular, Sevens is still played in emerging markets (just like some have played sixes and 10's).  Whilst the IRL does not need to formalise these variations, they definitely shouldn't be 'abolishing'.  

FIFA and ICC both support many different variations of their sport, especially outside of major international competitions, so we should be open to supporting that as well, especially when we need as many participants as possible, and they are still playing a version of Rugby League.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

I am in the process of setting up a Rugby league club in Harrogate, as part of that process we want to engage with as many people as possible and a constant consideration was some form of touch/non-contact rugby. So I thought I would look into to the options in more detail, with Try Tag Rugby (RFL) you have to buy a franchise and submit business plans and its a long process to be recognised by them, realistically you could buy some tags and play that way. Verdict expensive and a risk for a club potentially pricey for a player, could consider independent setup. 

England Touch Rugby is part of the international federation, used to be part of the RFL structure but now a stand alone organisation. Different from O2 touch which is union run. England Touch has all information on the website and simple to apply with an annual club fee. They have regular regional and national tournaments and overseas tours and in general this version of touch rugby is recognised globally. Verdict cheap to run as an extension of the club, players would be representing our club in tournaments

XLeague (Formally Eurotag) the major downside to this is it limits participation unless you have enough for a mens and womens team. The tackle is made by touching the ball which can be adapted for a mixed game but isn't the best. To say there is supposed to be a 2021 tournament to run along side of the world Cup there is only 1 UK event listed. Sheffield Forgers and Oldham lead the way with teams from the UK but there isn't much promotion for it. Verdict no idea on cost or if you have to be registered to play, possibly one tournament a year. 

In general due to insurance and registration fees and everything included including training for 1 referee and development of coaches we will be looking to apply to England Touch. We would consider X-league if they were clearer with development and registration process. 

9 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

I am in the process of setting up a Rugby league club in Harrogate, as part of that process we want to engage with as many people as possible and a constant consideration was some form of touch/non-contact rugby. So I thought I would look into to the options in more detail, with Try Tag Rugby (RFL) you have to buy a franchise and submit business plans and its a long process to be recognised by them, realistically you could buy some tags and play that way. Verdict expensive and a risk for a club potentially pricey for a player, could consider independent setup. 

England Touch Rugby is part of the international federation, used to be part of the RFL structure but now a stand alone organisation. Different from O2 touch which is union run. England Touch has all information on the website and simple to apply with an annual club fee. They have regular regional and national tournaments and overseas tours and in general this version of touch rugby is recognised globally. Verdict cheap to run as an extension of the club, players would be representing our club in tournaments

XLeague (Formally Eurotag) the major downside to this is it limits participation unless you have enough for a mens and womens team. The tackle is made by touching the ball which can be adapted for a mixed game but isn't the best. To say there is supposed to be a 2021 tournament to run along side of the world Cup there is only 1 UK event listed. Sheffield Forgers and Oldham lead the way with teams from the UK but there isn't much promotion for it. Verdict no idea on cost or if you have to be registered to play, possibly one tournament a year. 

In general due to insurance and registration fees and everything included including training for 1 referee and development of coaches we will be looking to apply to England Touch. We would consider X-league if they were clearer with development and registration process. 

There`s a post on the Waikato RL Facebook page where someone says he had a large number of children playing League Tag about 20 years ago. He contacted the NZRL for help and got the reply "this has no relevance for our game". Since then what became known there as Tag Football has grown significantly, run separately from RL by NZTFI, although the Auckland RL have recently been trying to recover lost ground with KiwiTag. Clearly there are enough people keen to play and fund it.

Your first paragraph indicates that the RFL`s attitude is similar to the NZRL. Despite the growth of Tag in the South of England and Ireland, they have yet to recognise the potential value of Tag to RL in the North of England, only paying lip service at Magic Weekend. They would need to get behind it from the centre, stimulating interest in community clubs and foundations, linking everything to mirror the tackle game. Small pockets of activity, independent and dotted around, are not viable for the reasons you set out.

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There`s a post on the Waikato RL Facebook page where someone says he had a large number of children playing League Tag about 20 years ago. He contacted the NZRL for help and got the reply "this has no relevance for our game". Since then what became known there as Tag Football has grown significantly, run separately from RL by NZTFI, although the Auckland RL have recently been trying to recover lost ground with KiwiTag. Clearly there are enough people keen to play and fund it.

Your first paragraph indicates that the RFL`s attitude is similar to the NZRL. Despite the growth of Tag in the South of England and Ireland, they have yet to recognise the potential value of Tag to RL in the North of England, only paying lip service at Magic Weekend. They would need to get behind it from the centre, stimulating interest in community clubs and foundations, linking everything to mirror the tackle game. Small pockets of activity, independent and dotted around, are not viable for the reasons you set out.

100% interesting on the feedback from NZ but exactly that. There is genuine interest in the non-contact game of some form due to its fitness and social benefits. I see real potential in growing our members base with it

On 10/06/2020 at 20:50, Yakstorm said:

FIFA and ICC both support many different variations of their sport, especially outside of major international competitions, so we should be open to supporting that as well, especially when we need as many participants as possible, and they are still playing a version of Rugby League.

Futsal should leave FIFA to establish an independent organisation.  I do not deny FIFA's contribution to Futsal (establishing the world rules), today there is no reason for Futsal to be under the control of FIFA.

About Beach Soccer (Beach Football, Beasal), I am not sure.

Just as an update. We got accepted by England Touch and XLeague within days of each other. XLeague to be fair were really good as they are pairing us with Sheffield Forgers to give us some advice and run a taster session for us. With England touch they give you a free referee place when you affiliate plus insurance. We will be running both eventually but not tag as we aren't going to be investing in a risky franchise option. 

Archived