Boxing Day

Batley Bob

Dewsbury will be short of three main players for the big event on Boxing Day. 

Newcomers Annakin and Walton are recovering from their injuries while prop Tom Garratt will be absent through family matters, which we all hope (I presume) will be resolved quite soon. 

With that in mind, my selection would be:

1. Joe Martin

2. Andy Gabriel

3 Matt Fleming

4  Adam Ryder

5. Will Oakes

6  Paul Sykes 

7  Liam Finn

8. Frazer Morris

9  Dom Speakman 

10 Connor Scott

11 Martyn Reilly 

12 Michael Knowles

13 Sonny Esselmont 

14 Sam Day

15 Sam Moorhouse 

16 Jon Magrin

17 Liam Johnson

i am sure also a few “extras” will take the field, some of whom might be James Thornton, Luke Nelmes and Davey Dixon. 

Dewsbury 44-6 Batley

(how’s that for confidence?)

FTS: Dom Speakman 

MoM: Sam Day

Att: 1433

Legs, Dews, Legs.

17 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Dewsbury 44-6 Batley

(how’s that for confidence?)

Bordering on the insane.......?

On a more serious point are the reduced price tickets for Boxing Day available from our side or just from the Doggies as indicated by the post on the website.."Both sets of fans can buy advanced tickets from Batley Bulldogs at the below cost"

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

According to League Express it looks like we will be without Joe Martin and possibly no Jon Magrin, so who is likely to play at full back do you think?

Oakes ?  Played there before, and would give us a pacey back line with Gabby, and Davey on the flanks.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Well thought I might mention the game. Played well in patches, when we finished our sets well, we looked good. Scored three tries down the wings! Thought Batley were better in the forwards overall, but we have Annakin and Garrett to come back and they will make a big difference. Oakes looks like a useful signing, as does Magrin and Esslemont. Draw was a fair result, think both teams will be in the lower half of the division, but at least we didn't lose. 

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Well thought I might mention the game. Played well in patches, when we finished our sets well, we looked good. Scored three tries down the wings! Thought Batley were better in the forwards overall, but we have Annakin and Garrett to come back and they will make a big difference. Oakes looks like a useful signing, as does Magrin and Esslemont. Draw was a fair result, think both teams will be in the lower half of the division, but at least we didn't lose. 

I enjoyed the game.  Much better than usual imho.   Batley bossed first half easily I thought and we were just as disappointing near their  line as ever.  Second half we came back strongly.  Too early to comment on individual  forwards for me but some positive signs. 
Thought Sykes was outstanding in attack and defence but was slightly disappointed that Morgan Punchard didn’t get a bit more game time because we still need someone with more ideas going forward. We also need to get Ryder involved more.  Absolute class. 

Anyone know what the gate was?

Yes,  I agree that it was a proper game for once and substitutes looked to be used in a considered manner and not simply shoved on and off willy-nilly. 

I don’t think we can assess individual performances yet as they need playing time to settle in. 

I also agree that Batley had the better forwards on the day, but our backs, in the second half anyway, looked sharp. 

Sykes outstanding? Missed an easy conversion and who passed the ball which was intercepted and who gave away the penalty which allowed Batley to draw?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Forwards very much grew into the game, was impressed with the new lads. Esslemont can tackle really well and I liked Scott's hard running. 

Backs not bad but need some catching practice waaaay too many drops under the high ball that ultimately cost the win. But it's only a friendly so encouraging signs that we won't be watching the pack getting beaten week in and week out 

www.dewsburyramstv.co.uk - free highlights service

3 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Sykes outstanding? Missed an easy conversion and who passed the ball which was intercepted and who gave away the penalty which allowed Batley to draw?

made at least one try, saved a certain one of theirs with a great tackle.  Take him out of the team and see what we look like going forwards...

No wait, please don't. We saw what happens last year when he was injured and we were even more clueless near the line...

Attendance 1881 apparently...

5 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Yes,  I agree that it was a proper game for once and substitutes looked to be used in a considered manner and not simply shoved on and off willy-nilly. 

I don’t think we can assess individual performances yet as they need playing time to settle in. 

I also agree that Batley had the better forwards on the day, but our backs, in the second half anyway, looked sharp. 

Speakman gave the penalty away.

4 hours ago, NickD said:

made at least one try, saved a certain one of theirs with a great tackle.  Take him out of the team and see what we look like going forwards...

No wait, please don't. We saw what happens last year when he was injured and we were even more clueless near the line...

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I thought that Finn made a big contribution (some decent tackling too) having lost a bit of weight since last season. When the new lads learn how to run off him (don't lie so flat!) then he might just prove to be the acquisition that we all hoped that he would.

I note that both sets of fans think that their pack was dominated by the other - what do supporters know, eh?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, NickD said:

Perhaps my glass was half empty. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

On 27/12/2019 at 10:09, Wakefield Ram said:

Just watched the highlights....hearty congrats by the way, much better quality than last year...well done.

Cant see what that last penalty was for Im honest.  Ref appears to say ripping the ball out but hard to see from whats on view.

BUT, the highlight has got to be Steven Downes announcing the winners of the half time draw all over the try by Ryder. Hilarious when watching back.  Talk about timing issues..Lets hope the winners of the draw were paying attention?

Glad to see that Batley have discovered a consistent goal kicker in somebody called Dale Morton ! Strange we did not see / use is skills more. But then an inconsistent kicker can take you from depression to jubilation and back again quite a few times in one game. Much better than getting bored with all successful kicks.?!?§€

On 27/12/2019 at 12:35, Crown Flatter said:

Sykes is by far and away our best player in my opinion best tackler and most ideas in attack maybe ive been watching a different game to you though

2 hours ago, ramsfandan said:

Sykes is by far and away our best player in my opinion best tackler and most ideas in attack maybe ive been watching a different game to you though

no he aint, get ryder plenty a ball and he will be massive for dews. real quality.

16 hours ago, ramsfandan said:

I agree that he is our best player in all you say; it’s just that he wasn’t on Boxing Day. 

14 hours ago, silverback said:

no he aint, get ryder plenty a ball and he will be massive for dews. real quality.

Ryder is certainly a good player, but he has a long way to go to achieve Sykes’ status in the game. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

14 hours ago, silverback said:

Don't talk up our players SB, it's certain to herald the appearance of a fat, bald, video camera wielding flat capper at the Tetley's, followed inevitably by a massive drop in form by the player, and rumors  he will be joining a rival club in the Pontefract area for 2021 (other "tappers" are available). ?

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

15 hours ago, silverback said:

I hope that you are right and, certainly, Boxing Day's showing was an improvement from what we had seen in the league in 2019. Double figure try-scorer for 2020?

On 08/01/2020 at 12:41, Blind side johnny said:

I hope that you are right and, certainly, Boxing Day's showing was an improvement from what we had seen in the league in 2019. Double figure try-scorer for 2020?

sorry for late reply have been down in london to sattchi and  see king tut, i think ryders a strong fella and he could/should be a dewsbury hero for 2020.had have him in a heartbeat.

12 hours ago, silverback said:

sorry for late reply have been down in london to sattchi and  see king tut, i think ryders a strong fella and he could/should be a dewsbury hero for 2020.had have him in a heartbeat.

Ryder's name will crop up again about a fortnight into the season when Piggys mate goes through his annual ritual of asking the dogs faithful, which of our players they would sign for 2021 following our inevitable relegation in 2020.  :kolobok_wink:

George Bernard Shaw.

Archived