Loneliness

I think more spotlight might be on loneliness at Christmas this year. I caught a bit of BBC News on BBC2 mid morning and they were speaking to the founder of Not Home Alone charity in Grimsby. Also I saw a little bit of Loose Women which spoke about a storyline in Coronation Street where Rita is lonely at Christmas.

Unfortunately I think we are more bothered about what is going on in our virtual device world than 2 doors down, myself included.

Thanks for posting that BR. Loneliness is a horrible thing to go through and is endemic in our society. Unfortunately it is only highlighted around Christmastime each and every year.

The peace and goodwill of this period should be maintained year round but it'll soon be all forgotten about by many of us who are too wrapped up in our own lives to care about others. 

Hopefully that news article will inspire many to get involved in their local communities and give help to those that need it. It certainly gave me food for thought.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

Loneliness is terrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I can imagine Christmas being an absolutely awful time for those that are alone and have lost loved ones.

Loneliness is a strange thing...I have been in crowds of thousands  and felt lonely (and contemplated the absurdity of it at the time)...I have been in deep wilderness where the next closest person would be 100's of kilometers away and not felt lonely at all (and contemplated the absurdity of it at the time).  Inner spirituality is very important when discussing loneliness and solutions to it.....things are not always as they appear.  

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Loneliness is a strange thing...I have been in crowds of thousands  and felt lonely (and contemplated the absurdity of it at the time)...I have been in deep wilderness where the next closest person would be 1000's of kilometers away and not felt lonely at all (and contemplated the absurdity of it at the time).  Inner spirituality is very important when discussing loneliness and solutions to it.....things are not always as they appear.  

Indeed and I get what you are saying. It is entirely possible to feel loneliness when surrounded by others when you have no connection with them or feel no part of that situation. Sometimes being surrounded by others, seemingly all happy and content, can exacerbate those feeling of loneliness and isolation. 

However I wouldn't say your second example is loneliness at all, loneliness isn't the same as being alone.

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed and I get what you are saying. It is entirely possible to feel loneliness when surrounded by others when you have no connection with them or feel no part of that situation. Sometimes being surrounded by others, seemingly all happy and content, can exacerbate those feeling of loneliness and isolation. 

However I wouldn't say your second example is loneliness at all, loneliness isn't the same as being alone.

I think you are right on that second point...I always felt that God was with me (not trying to push religion on anyone) when I was alone on my journeys...I would even talk out loud to him sometimes....makes you think about your faith and things.  The negative feelings of loneliness are probably more psychological as you allude to....not a good place.

On 12/12/2019 at 22:24, Johnoco said:

I’m quite an anti social person, so not the type to ask a stranger to come in for a cuppa. But I do think loneliness is a real tragedy. 
Actually, I’m not antisocial, more private. I don’t talk to people who I don’t know in situations like holidays etc. I feel friends are hard earned, not fleeting. 

Having met you, that surprises me.

You never can tell and all that.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Damien said:

The most 'alone' I have felt was on a camping trip in the USA, deep in the mountains, not seen a person in a day.  Camping that night in the silence was a bit of a weird feeling, hard to describe really, maybe even primitive pit of stomach feeling?

It's different to loneliness.  I have shut my self away, and outside of work hardly interact with anyone (I'm working on it!), I might try and convince myself that I'm a private person happier on my own, but I'm not sure if even I believe that.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

51 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The most 'alone' I have felt was on a camping trip in the USA, deep in the mountains, not seen a person in a day.  Camping that night in the silence was a bit of a weird feeling, hard to describe really, maybe even primitive pit of stomach feeling?

It's different to loneliness.  I have shut my self away, and outside of work hardly interact with anyone (I'm working on it!), I might try and convince myself that I'm a private person happier on my own, but I'm not sure if even I believe that.  

It all takes on a different feel in the Bush after you have not spoken to or interacted with another person for 25 days or more....when you actually talk to someone after such a long time it is weird...even just the initial 'Hello'....like feels really weird.

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Ah but I sort of knew you....and wanted to actually talk to you. ?

What I mean is that I will deliberately avoid English people on holiday, in case they latch onto you and spoil your holiday. Or I won't just talk about stuff in the canteen at work unless I've something to say. Oh alright I am antisocial ??

Perhaps you are a Yorkshireman? ?

11 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I especially avoid them in case they offer to call round and see us later. 

Or are swingers.  

or both 

24 minutes ago, longboard said:

Perhaps you are a Yorkshireman? ?

English people are funny.

On 14/12/2019 at 06:08, Robin Evans said:

What's to dislike about Dan? He seems an inoffensive sort. 

hes the one who wants the crown of "mr goody two shoes" matt baker isn't he? is the bbc big enough for both the goody two shoeses ?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived