Hull FC Over Salary Cap

A news article from the Hull Daily Mail with Hull FC Chairman Adam Pearson, where he confirms they are operating at around £200k over the salary cap.

Coupled with his thoughts on the marquee player rule, it makes interesting reading...

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/adam-pearson-hull-fc-salary-3643063#ICID=Android_HullDailyMailNewApp_AppShare

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does surprise me is that theyve been allowed to register players that put them over the cap.

Some confusing points in that article, if he's suggesting theyve got overseas players on more than 170k or home grown players he's stupid or st least cutting his nose off  not using the rulings, especially if they're 200k over.

Bit of a daft interview adam.

46 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

or that paying players more doesn't make them better players or that spending more on players doesn't make you a better team or...…..

Most of them would be better off working on building sites if they got paid any less than they do now. If we want to be a tin pot sport then paying peanuts and giving one year contracts is the way to go. 

The SC allows two marquee players where the first £170(5)k counts for the cap purposes. If Pearson has employed more than two players on over £175k then their full salary will count on the cap.

In the past the RFL told us it was a "live" sc so how come players have been registered if the club is over the cap? Has this changed and it's not now a "live" cap?   

1 hour ago, Barry Badrinath said:

What does surprise me is that theyve been allowed to register players that put them over the cap.

Some confusing points in that article, if he's suggesting theyve got overseas players on more than 170k or home grown players he's stupid or st least cutting his nose off  not using the rulings, especially if they're 200k over.

Bit of a daft interview adam.

He’s saying they are spending over the official cap limit due to the various exemptions.

They will not be breaking the rules of the salary cap but the wages they pay out are £200k over the stated £2M cap limit (or whatever the limit is).

They have marquee players and will be using that exemption but don’t want to name them as other clubs have done.

47 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Most of them would be better off working on building sites if they got paid any less than they do now. If we want to be a tin pot sport then paying peanuts and giving one year contracts is the way to go. 

Do 25 lads on a building site earn £2M a year?

I’m not saying the cap should be reduced, I’m in favour of increasing the salary cap back to the levels of the late 90’s in real terms, but this statement is incorrect. 

10 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

He’s saying they are spending over the official cap limit due to the various exemptions.

They will not be breaking the rules of the salary cap but the wages they pay out are £200k over the stated £2M cap limit (or whatever the limit is).

They have marquee players and will be using that exemption but don’t want to name them as other clubs have done.

Thats not how i read it at all, why would he as you've suggested say you've got marquee players,  but dont want to make them public BUT give an exact figure of how much you're over the cap.

Besides which, they wouldn't be over the cap if they were using the marquee allowance, would they.

35 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Thats not how i read it at all, why would he as you've suggested say you've got marquee players,  but dont want to make them public BUT give an exact figure of how much you're over the cap.

Besides which, they wouldn't be over the cap if they were using the marquee allowance, would they.

An odd interview no doubt...raises more questions than it actually answers.

48 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

It is exactly what he is saying. They are over the finite cap limit but due to the various exemptions for Union (Naulago), club trained (various) and marquee (Manu Mau +1)  they are not breaking the cap.

He is obviously from the Carney camp, "cap a bit high", "cap gone through the roof". 

Given his comments re finances there is no way Hull FC will be voting to raise the cap anytime soon.

Salary cap should IMHO be consigned to history.

It is a restriction of trade.

In the 1980s I used to look forward to watching: Kemble; Ah Kuoi: Leuluai; O'Hara; Sterling; Muggleton;Crooks; Schofield; Knocker playing against my team live or on? whoever they played. Forgive the spelling. Good and great players.

A salary cap would never allow such talent to be assembled.

PS

Did Prohm ever play for Hull FC❓

Remember him at Hull KR.

38 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

In the 1980s I used to look forward to watching: Kemble; Ah Kuoi: Leuluai; O'Hara; Sterling; Muggleton;Crooks; Schofield; Knocker playing against my team live or on? whoever they played. Forgive the spelling. Good and great players.

PS

Remember him at Hull KR.

It was the paying of too much to Crooks and Schofield in the 80's that both players had to be transferred to Leeds.A situation that didn't please Mr Crooks,very much.

In the 90's Gateshead Thunder were required,by the RFL,to assist with their financial incontinence.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

41 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

PS

Remember him at Hull KR.

The worst part of the salary cap has indeed been the glass ceiling imposed on the standard a team , and hence the competition , can reach. 

Unfortunately , after 20 years of very substantial, additional, guaranteed income , we still only have three or four clubs capable of spending more than their allocated money. Any forthcoming reduction in the TV contract will see clubs struggle to spend even up to the cap as it stands. A complete scrapping of the cap , whilst welcomed by many spectators and viewers , would result in a polarised competition and therefore it is unlikely enough clubs would vote in favour.

Gary Prohm went to the Roosters (Eastern Suburbs as was) from Hull KR. Hard to believe Hull KR's overseas quota once consisted of Prohm , Mark Broadhurst, Gordon Smith all Kiwi internationals, and Aussie internationals Gavin Miller (only dual Man of Steel, Dally M winner prior to Barba, and World Cup winner) and John Dorahy.  They also fielded numerous GB internationals , including several captains , at the same time. Would be absolutely impossible under the current system.

Not a particularly inspiring interview tbh. Nothing that really gets the juices flowing and suggests the comp has a really exciting future ahead. 

So I assume they are spending around £2.3m on the first team squad this year and he is saying that is high and gone through the roof. 

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Do 25 lads on a building site earn £2M a year?

I’m not saying the cap should be reduced, I’m in favour of increasing the salary cap back to the levels of the late 90’s in real terms, but this statement is incorrect. 

No but then the team don’t share their income between them so that question is irrelevant. There are plenty of SL players on £40k and quite frankly what they put their bodies through, with the risk of injury meaning they won’t have a contract the next year, and having to finish in their early 30s, makes me wonder why they do it. 

5 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Why on Earth would he announce that he's over the actual cap, breaking the rules? A simple bit of comprehension would tell you that he's not openly admitting to the world that he's cheating by a significant amount. Nobody would do that as it would be stupid.

It's clear that he's saying that, if you take out the exemptions (which he was just talking about in that interview), that they would be over the cap limit.

He doesn't want to name the marquee players because he doesn't like how it puts them on a pedestal above other players in the squad. He sees them all as marquee.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

11 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Why on Earth would he announce that he's over the actual cap, breaking the rules? A simple bit of comprehension would tell you that he's not openly admitting to the world that he's cheating by a significant amount. Nobody would do that as it would be stupid.

It's clear that he's saying that, if you take out the exemptions (which he was just talking about in that interview), that they would be over the cap limit.

He doesn't want to name the marquee players because he doesn't like how it puts them on a pedestal above other players in the squad. He sees them all as marquee.

Its pretty obvious that this guy is just not too bright sometimes although I like the squad he has put together....WOW, 25 MARQUEES ON ONLY ONE TEAM!

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Sounds like a huge blowhard tbh.  You wanted TWP to pay for your flights so you can take what we give you.  ???

The Super League Chairmen inspire so much confidence in this sport.

Beggars can't be choosers!

While no fan of the salary cap it shouldn't be applied until the team's roster is finalised before the first regular season game. What difference does it make if you're over the cap when you're not playing games that count?

Archived