Lyon

Eddie

Article about Lyon’s RL team. They’re currently bottom of Elite 2 which obviously isn’t great but they have a three year plan to get into Elite 1 and are talking about getting the game into schools and more French teams coming into the English league. It would be superb if a team from a fantastic city like Lyon can progress, could be a good place for Magic too, though the ground may be a bit big at 59k  

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/the-plan-to-re-establish-rugby-league-in-frances-third-biggest-city-lyon/

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Article about Lyon’s RL team. They’re currently bottom of Elite 2 which obviously isn’t great but they have a three year plan to get into Elite 1 and are talking about getting the game into schools and more French teams coming into the English league. It would be superb if a team from a fantastic city like Lyon can progress, could be a good place for Magic too, though the ground may be a bit big at 59k  

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/the-plan-to-re-establish-rugby-league-in-frances-third-biggest-city-lyon/

Played in Lyon many years ago on a youth tour,nice city.

France is such an easy expansion option for super league.  Toulose should already be in super league.  League should.be targeting the big cities in the south like Marseille and Lyon and also.an area like avignon

Also.ive thought they could merge the elite with the championship to improve the standard of.the French game 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I used to live in Lyon - wonderful city. 

The football stadium is about 15km out of the city, in an otherwise dodgy neighbourhood. The union team play at the old football ground at Gerland (where GB won the World Cup), which is closer to the city, but still not ideal.

The city would be a tremendous place for a sporting festival - there are few better in Europe to visit - but the grounds don't lend themselves. 

Around ten years ago, I was party to some information behind a Lyon bid to join Super League. A friend of mine was interpreting for them and came to me for the intracacies of rugby speak. 

It never went anywhere, of course. I'd be surprised if they ever agreed their own plan and I don't believe it ever went anywhere at all. 

People called Romans they go the house

37 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

France is such an easy expansion option for super league.  Toulose should already be in super league.  League should.be targeting the big cities in the south like Marseille and Lyon and also.an area like avignon

Also.ive thought they could merge the elite with the championship to improve the standard of.the French game 

I agree that (if the French clubs wanted it to) Elite 1 should be considered on par with L1 and any team that won it and wanted to go up would go into the Championship, not L1. 

When you say targeting places like Marseille though what do you mean, who should be doing what?

Also Toulouse have had plenty of chances to get in SL but they haven’t proven themselves on the pitch yet. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I agree that (if the French clubs wanted it to) Elite 1 should be considered on par with L1 and any team that won it and wanted to go up would go into the Championship, not L1. 

When you say targeting places like Marseille though what do you mean, who should be doing what?

Also Toulouse have had plenty of chances to get in SL but they haven’t proven themselves on the pitch 

Yeh I'm.not a fan of expansion being dependant on p.and r.   P.and r should only apply to heartland English teams. 

If the backers were there parachuting them into super league with no relegation like les.catalans

Look.how well.its worked 

Relegating expansion clubs is stupid 

7 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Yeh I'm.not a fan of expansion being dependant on p.and r.   P.and r should only apply to heartland English teams. 

If the backers were there parachuting them into super league with no relegation like les.catalans

Look.how well.its worked 

Relegating expansion clubs is stupid 

Say Wakefield finished 11th and Toulouse 12th, 14 points behind them, do you really think it should be Wakey that got relegated?

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

Yep.

Happened to widnes when they finished ahead of Catalans but they had immunity 

Mate, you should just ignore him. Too many naysayers in the game like him that get listened to and we wonder why SL can't get a French tv deal. 

5 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Mate, you should just ignore him. Too many naysayers in the game like him that get listened to and we wonder why SL can't get a French tv deal. 

Yes mate, because sporting integrity is irrelevant compared to the dream of getting a tiny French tv deal. You’re obviously not a Widnes fan. 

3 hours ago, aj1908 said:

If they were good enough they’d be in

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 minute ago, Damien said:

If Lyon and Toulon can get into Elite 1 then the French top flight immediately takes on a drastically different look.

And Montpellier too, though I’m not sure what happened with that I think I recall they didn’t play their first game though could be mistaken. 

Echo all the comments about Lyon as a city. Absolutely fantastic place.

Would love to see it have a league team. Realistically they would have to play out of the union ground but that was pleasant enough when I visited and easily accessible by the metro.

15 hours ago, DEANO said:

If they were good enough they’d be in

So expansion of.the game has to wait for the result of some game where the referre can make a mistake?

or like two years ago toronto missed out when they didnt kick enough penalty goals when clearly they were a better option than the broncos

Yeh thats a great way to grow a small isolated sport

Maybe the nrl should only have allowed the Brisbane Broncos in once they won some random promotion game 

10 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

So expansion of.the game has to wait for the result of some game where the referre can make a mistake?

or like two years ago toronto missed out when they didnt kick enough penalty goals when clearly they were a better option than the broncos

Yeh thats a great way to grow a small isolated sport

Maybe the nrl should only have allowed the Brisbane Broncos in once they won some random promotion game 

I don’t know why they bothered playing the game as Toronto were the better option. That’s how P&R should be decided. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know why they bothered playing the game as Toronto were the better option. That’s how P&R should be decided. 

just have P and R with all the small english teams.  leave the expansion teams out of that nonsense.

20 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

just have P and R with all the small english teams.  leave the expansion teams out of that nonsense.

That’d be interesting if Toronto, Toulouse and Catalans ended a season as the bottom three in Super League and a side that finished fourth bottom got relegated based on nothing other than their geographic location. 

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That’d be interesting if Toronto, Toulouse and Catalans ended a season as the bottom three in Super League and a side that finished fourth bottom got relegated based on nothing other than their geographic location. 

yes because thats likely to actually happen.  imagine a super league with all those teams in it.  would be a big step forward imo

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Based on what? Absolute pointless soundbites. You're as well to say 'imagine a SL with Munich, Rome, Madrid, Lisbon - would be a big step forward' 

you know toronto and les catalans are already in super league now yeh?

Archived