“The NRL can learn from the NFL and NHL”

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"

Part of the reason for this is the season is short and sharp and fans are given a chance to miss it. 

The NFL regular season is 17 weeks long, with 16 games and a bye for each team" 

and

"If the last World Cup and the rise of Tonga taught us anything, it is that we should be tapping into international rugby league and trying to grow our sport." 

In other news it is has been discovered that bears defecate in arboreal areas

16 minutes ago, westside said:

Definitely like the idea of NHL style major and minor penalties.

Hadn’t heard of the “players are off till time runs out or points are scored” rule. It certainly gets you thinking and could, in some cases, be huge on the context of a particular game, especially in the NRL/State of Origin. 

One thing they do not need to copy are timeouts. Let the players play.

And coach's challenges are a slippery slope. Better to use the NCAA rule where an official in the booth upstairs monitors the play and can buzz down to the referee to stop play in the case of an obvious error.

The NHL and NBA teams play 82 games per season.  MLB play 162!! They are hugely commercially successful leagues too.  Why is less necessarily good?  Why follow NFL model? I think NRL has a good balance now.  SL has a few too many with challenge cup too.  But not sure other sports can guide us so much.

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Obviously , which is what I was alluding to earlier 

Yes. It would be awful if RL became more attractive to broadcasters  thereby increasing revenue with minimal disruption. We could even compensate for the 2 minute onfield breather between quarters by reducing the number of subs

I agree that this is a good article; it's always worth reviewing what other sports do, in case we can import something from them.

The ice hockey penalty reference is a wee bit simplistic, in that under IIHF (and I think NHL) rules, there are a number of penalties, with different times.  Commonest is a minor penalty (2 minutes).  There is no danger of the confusion there seems to have been in NSWRL about arbitrary time decisions by referees, because it is the nature of the infringement that determines whether a minor penalty is called.  Thus, for instance, tripping and interference would each get a 2 minute penalty.  A small scale altercation between two players would result in a 2-minute roughing call, but here there is a bit of leeway for the referee, as he can give one or both of the players a double minor, 2+2 minutes (i.e. 4 minutes)  If a team scores on the powerplay when the short-handed opposition have a player sitting out a minor penalty, then the understrength team immediately resorts to full strength, or if they have a player still serving the first two minutes of a double minor, that player's time in the penalty box drops to two minutes.

A major penalty will be given for a major outbreak of fighting between two players.  Any player serving a major penalty, which is five minutes long, must wait until the first break in play after their five minutes is up before returning to the ice, or their players' bench.

There are also misconduct penalties (10 minutes), game misconduct penalties, match penalties and a penalty shot.  If I remember correctly, when a player gets a misconduct penalty, a team-mate goes with him to the penalty box and their team plays one player short for two minutes (or until a goal is scored), at which point the team-mate comes out of the box and the team are back to full strength.

There are two other senses in which I feel the article is a bit simplistic in its read-across from ice hockey.  First, whenever I see a rugby league team go a man down for ten minutes, it is not necessarily apparent that their opponents are using significantly different tactics, other than try and spot where there might be a slightly bigger gap in the defensive line.  In ice hockey, by contrast, both in offence and defence, teams use significantly different tactics during powerplays.  And second, in terms of simple percentages, losing a player for a period of time in ice hockey is twice as serious as losing one in rugby league, hence the more significantly different tactics.

One good aspect of ice hockey which rugby league might consider is how to deal with fights.  Possibly uniquely in team sports, ice hockey accepts they are part and parcel of the sport and hence accepts that two players will settle a dispute by 'dropping the gloves'; they each get 2 or 2+2 or 5 minutes, as the referee sees fit.  What is abhorred is the possibility that other players intervene, thus escalating an, as it were, acceptable one-on-one altercation into a brawl.  Thus, the se-called 'third man in' will get a longer penalty than the two instigators.  This is something from which I think rugby league could learn.

I began by saying that it is always good to consider what other sports do and whether it could have merit for our game.  Gaelic football and hurling, in addition to yellow and red cards issued along broadly similar lines to soccer, also have a black card for certain offences.  If you receive a black card, you are personally dismissed for the balance of the game, but your team may put on a substitute for you.  Could this have a role in rugby league?

9 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Was a poor article imo

Nrl has been looking at nfl for ages

That's where they took golden point from 

He says copy NFL for less games to play international but NFL don't have a shorter season for that reason 

It’s really not as simplistic as that though, is it? It’s not about taking things from other sports for the same reasons they’re used in those respective sports, it’s about how you can improve your product for the viewing public, the TV audiences and broadcasters. 

Hockey has 3 20-minute periods. Wouldn't work so well for an eighty minute game. But if you were to give players 2 12 or 15 minute breaks in the course of the game they could probably go an extra 10 minutes. 

There is no man-power disadvantage for misconduct penalties. They're basically for unsportsmanlike conduct - mouthing off, obscene gestures etc. - rather than breaking the rules. But the latter often leads to the former if the player feels the referee has made the wrong call.

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

The Aussies play in winter , and that isn't the reason they have quarters 

Townsville has wet and dry season. Winter is a southern indulgence.

At the start of the season very hot temperatures are possible at many stadiums in Australia.

The NFL and professional sports in general in the US represent a much smaller percentage of GDP than professional sport in pretty much any developed country in the world.  They are massively overcompensated for TV coverage.   If you want to expand the game, you need to open it and expand semi-professionalism.  Create a genuine capitalist sporting society, not close it like the National Football League's crony capitalist model.  Take autonomous, independent, professional Rugby League to every town that wants it and can support it.

Archived