Utah - Samoa v Tonga

Omott91

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

Can't read but why Utah? Any of these ideas just seem completely random, see Denver.

The Mormons have always been keen in proselytising in the Pacific islands, so there's a significant enough proportion of the Samoan population at least that is Mormon. It's the only connection that I can think of.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Terrible pre-match drinking venue, but other than that sounds interesting. 

I've been to Salt Lake City a few times and never had a problem getting a beer. In fact, there are lots of microbreweries.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, Copa said:

Utah has a significant Samoan and Tongan population.

Fair enough, thanks.

It'd be good to see some sort of follow up if it does go ahead. If the NRL, IRL, APRL or whoever wants to target the North American market pick 2-3 West Coast or Inner West cities and try and build a niche.

10 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I've been to Salt Lake City a few times and never had a problem getting a beer. In fact, there are lots of microbreweries.

Good to hear. Never been to SLC but I’ve been to  South Utah and getting a drink was like breaking into Fort Knox. 

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

This is as dumb as the Denver test.  Why not play it in one of the home nations or worst case new Zealand 

The Denver test was not dumb. The real mistake was not getting the money offered up front and allowing the NRL to do their upmost to sabotage it.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

The Denver test was not dumb. The real mistake was not getting the money offered up front and allowing the NRL to do their upmost to sabotage it.

Asking for proper insurance is sabotage?

Since the promoter cost nz and England 500k each maybe the nrl was right to be wary 

And if anywhere why not Toronto where league has a presence 

4 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Asking for proper insurance is sabotage?

Since the promoter cost nz and England 500k each maybe the nrl was right to be wary 

And if anywhere why not Toronto where league has a presence 

The NRL did everything to sabotage that test because it did not have control and would not profit from it. They have ensured this will not happen again.

As I said the mistake in this was not getting money upfront. The concept was sound and despite all the issues thrown at it the crowd was good. It was not a dumb idea, the flaw was the lack of guarantees. This match should have had nothing to do with the NRL for them to be worry.

Because Toronto was not what was offered.

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

The NRL did everything to sabotage that test because it did not have control and would not profit from it. They have ensured this will not happen again.

As I said the mistake in this was not getting money upfront. The concept was sound and despite all the issues thrown at it the crowd was good. It was not a dumb idea, the flaw was the lack of guarantees. This match should have had nothing to do with the NRL for them to be worry.

I don't think the nrl makes a lot of profit from.international rugby league 

The articles I saw were about concerns about insurance and worrying about getting paid 

Why is playing a test in Denver a good idea with no league.there?

Why not play it on the moon 

Im sure argyle would've loved to have the game in Toronto 

Maybe the rfl could've thought Denver is a dumb idea lets try Toronto 

But no they got seduced by the large cash offer from.the promoter 

30 minutes ago, Damien said:

Denver was a huge mistake.

Promoted badly by a Chancer that did a runner.

Played in a location that pulled a very poor crowd and in temperatures that our game should not be played in.

The proof is in the pudding, low crowds, promoter did a runner.

The NRL had little to do with either of these things as it was played in a Bubble in Denver.

If you believe that the NRL had much bearing on how this badly contrived pie in the sky concept failed then I would suggest getting a major stakeholder that employs many of these athletes on board would be the bare minimum.

The whole idea seemed like the organisers and teams involved had watched "Field of Dreams to many times"

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 hours ago, aj1908 said:

I don't think the nrl makes a lot of profit from.international rugby league 

The articles I saw were about concerns about insurance and worrying about getting paid 

Why is playing a test in Denver a good idea with no league.there?

Why not play it on the moon 

Im sure argyle would've loved to have the game in Toronto 

Maybe the rfl could've thought Denver is a dumb idea lets try Toronto 

But no they got seduced by the large cash offer from.the promoter 

They were approached to play a game in Denver by a promoter. That was the deal. It also meant neither England or NZ flying to the opposite side of the world and they were offered a nice sum of money to play there. Argyle and Toronto did not offer anything. The fault was not getting all of this money up front, not the idea.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

They were approached to play a game in Denver by a promoter. That was the deal. It also meant neither Australia or NZ flying to the opposite side of the world and they were offered a nice sum of money to play there. Argyle and Toronto did not offer anything. The fault was not getting all of this money up front, not the idea.

Well at least the nrl did ask for money up front from.this promoter when he wanted.to stage an nrl.game in America and he refused.  

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

Denver was a huge mistake.

Promoted badly by a Chancer that did a runner.

Played in a location that pulled a very poor crowd and in temperatures that our game should not be played in.

The proof is in the pudding, low crowds, promoter did a runner.

The NRL had little to do with either of these things as it was played in a Bubble in Denver.

If you believe that the NRL had much bearing on how this badly contrived pie in the sky concept failed then I would suggest getting a major stakeholder that employs many of these athletes on board would be the bare minimum.

The whole idea seemed like the organisers and teams involved had watched "Field of Dreams to many times"

Despite all that it still got a better crowd than the recent Australia v New Zealand test in Wollongong, or the Trans Tasman Test before that in Auckland on indeed the last Anzac day test in Canberra.

5 hours ago, Copa said:

Utah has a significant Samoan and Tongan population.

So it does. That's my thing learnt for today:

https://www.health.utah.gov/disparities/utah-minority-communities/native-hawaiian-pacific-islander.html

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Can't read but why Utah? Any of these ideas just seem completely random, see Denver.

If you look at it as sport, it is random.

If you consider it as an event or a gig, it makes sense.

I can think of fairly few rival events in Salt Lake City, with basketball being the main thing. But penty of room for other events.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

Well at least the nrl did ask for money up front from.this promoter when he wanted.to stage an nrl.game in America and he refused.  

This is often the trouble with these debates with our Australian friends, I never even mentioned in the NRL in what you quoted then you reply with the old the NRL is better because of x type debate. I have already said the mistake was not getting all the money upfront. The NRL acted like the RFL and NZRL should have.

A few things on Denver. 

The NRL and Players association absolutely harmed the concept. Despite that it attracted a crowd that exceeded a fair few home tests for the big 3 nations. 

And it seems to be accepted that the Leagues lost money, but I'd be interested to know whether that was actually losses or just didn't get the full payment, as they could be two very different things. 

A little like the RLWC 2017 didn't return what it promised, but didn't make a loss. 

But I do share some of the frustrations around these seemingly random activities. We should have a strategy for where we focus our efforts. I don't think Utah would be anywhere near the list. 

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

This is often the trouble with these debates with our Australian friends, I never even mentioned in the NRL in what you quoted then you reply with the old the NRL is better because of x type debate. I have already said the mistake was not getting all the money upfront. The NRL acted like the RFL and NZRL should have.

you were going on before how it was the big bads nrls fault it failed.

the nrl themselves wanted to host an event there but worked out the promoter was a dud.

Archived