Rob Burrow

As with boxing in rugby you get head knocks, I think that’s likely to lead to more problems in later life for players than the general population. We should have tougher concussion protocol IMO, with a player taken from the field and play no further part after any head knock.

However no one can say whether Burrow’s illness is linked to rugby or not and we shouldn’t speculate, this is a time to support him and pay tribute to his achievements.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

He was too short to play RL, well to play in the halves in any case, an interchange hooker is what he should always have been. I'm sure his MND has been brought on by rugby. 

And banned. You've had your warnings.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

You mean like the experts in the article that state you are 8 times more likely to get MND as an NFL player and 4 times more likely as a footballer.

It would be a dereliction of the games duty of care to players not to pour money in to investigating the effect rugby has just as much as it has been with the NFL concussion issue 

The study commissioned by the FA that the article admits needed more data and research to lead to any actual scientific conclusions. Anecdotal evidence isn’t scientific evidence - so the ‘experts’ don’t in fact state that. The article repeatedly states there isn’t a proven cause or link so the framing the article against the NFL/concussion issue (it was a fact that players were getting concussions and the NFL ignored increasing scientific evidence this was linked to degenerative brain conditions) is irresponsible IMO. 

I sound like I’m against Super League doing anything- I’m not at all. I was just slightly peeved by the way the article was written but I suppose if it generates debate (good and bad) then it helps raise awareness for MND so I can’t criticise too much.

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

As with boxing in rugby you get head knocks, I think that’s likely to lead to more problems in later life for players than the general population. We should have tougher concussion protocol IMO, with a player taken from the field and play no further part after any head knock.

However no one can say whether Burrow’s illness is linked to rugby or not and we shouldn’t speculate, this is a time to support him and pay tribute to his achievements.

The effects of head knocks and concussion in all sport is an important discussion to have. I think rugby league, especially in this country needs to take player welfare more serious.

Your absolutely right that this is the time to support him and raise awareness 

It feels to me that the right thing to do is to take this discussion on player welfare and research to another discussion and let this thread focus on the support for Rob Burrow and his family.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Re-watching the excellent "As good as it gets?“ The narrater is giving his speil about RL and finishes with "This game is about sacrifice. What will you lose to win?"

As he finishes saying this the clip is Rob Burrow, holding one of his kids, kissing his wife.

I instantly cried ?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 24/12/2019 at 07:44, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

5500 tickets have sold for this game in 48 hours, what a fantastic response.

Just booked me and mate a trip up for it... We'll even cheer the Rhinos on for this one in Rob's honour

I think it needs to be a sell out. If I can drive 6 hours there and back in a day then no excuse for you northerners. Get in your canoes for the 20 minute canal padal to Headingly 

On 24/12/2019 at 18:01, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Re-watching the excellent "As good as it gets?“ The narrater is giving his speil about RL and finishes with "This game is about sacrifice. What will you lose to win?"

As he finishes saying this the clip is Rob Burrow, holding one of his kids, kissing his wife.

I instantly cried ?

Christ that hits home

I'm supposed to be taking my eldest down to the minis for the first time in January.... Having second thoughts

36 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

On Sky Sports News last night ,  Leeds United  players warmed up wearing Rob Burrow t shirts before their game against Preston yesterday. To me a class gesture.

Been great to see LUFC get behind and help support Rob. Liam Coopers auctioning off one of his shirt to help raise money. It’s nice to see how people come together in times of need

Archived