Stand-off – Martyn Ridyard
Scrum-half – Ryan Brierley
Prop – Eddie Battye
Hooker – Bob Beswick
Prop – Mitch Stringer
Second-row – Dane Manning
Second-row – Andrew Dixon
Loose-forward – John Davies

I’d take John Davies out for Ash Lindsay... 

I don’t know how Liam Finn or Andy Kain didn’t get in both used to wear dinner jackets against us... I remember Finn when he wore one against us for fev in 2010/2011 on a muddy afternoon 

JC could of been in if he’d of hit his 2010 try scoring form...

my batley team of decade: 

Greenwood

Reittie

Walton

Maun

Campbell 

handforth

black

gledhill 

lythe

Hirst

Bretherton

Davies

Lindsay

subs: 

moore

Rowe

Brown

Smith 

Of course the decade is yet to end with another full season to go. This list does seem to be biased towards recent years - maybe the LE reporters are too young or their memories are fading.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

League Express came up with the following team:

Fullback – Quentin Laulu-Togagae
Winger – Will Sharp
Centre – Greg Worthington
Centre – Menzie Yere
Winger – Liam Kay
Stand-off – Martyn Ridyard
Scrum-half – Ryan Brierley
Prop – Eddie Battye
Hooker – Bob Beswick
Prop – Mitch Stringer
Second-row – Dane Manning
Second-row – Andrew Dixon
Loose-forward – John Davies

I’d take John Davies out for Ash Lindsay... 

I don’t know how Liam Finn or Andy Kain didn’t get in both used to wear dinner jackets against us... I remember Finn when he wore one against us for fev in 2010/2011 on a muddy afternoon 

JC could of been in if he’d of hit his 2010 try scoring form...

my batley team of decade: 

Greenwood

Reittie

Walton

Maun

Campbell 

handforth

black

gledhill 

lythe

Hirst

Bretherton

Davies

Lindsay

subs: 

moore

Rowe

Brown

Smith 

No Alex Walmsley, Greg Johnson, Brad Day, Dane Manning or Josh Griffin? Alex Brown would be worth a shout too in his first signings and re signings, except for his last season with us, he was as good as anyone in the CH.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

This list does seem to be biased towards recent years - maybe the LE reporters are too young or their memories are fading.

I don't think it's that - I think they decided they wanted to feature players who had played in the Championship for most of the decade. I think everyone in their team played in the Championship for at least five years, and most of them for at least even or eight years. That's probably why the likes of Finn (who went to SL in 2014) and Kain (whose best days were well behind him by about the same time) haven't made the list, I guess they had to have some sort of minimum period played, otherwise you'd start having to think about players like Chris Hill, Alex Walmsley, Jon Wilkin...heck, Adrian Morley played once for Swinton!

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I don't think it's that - I think they decided they wanted to feature players who had played in the Championship for most of the decade. I think everyone in their team played in the Championship for at least five years, and most of them for at least even or eight years. That's probably why the likes of Finn (who went to SL in 2014) and Kain (whose best days were well behind him by about the same time) haven't made the list, I guess they had to have some sort of minimum period played, otherwise you'd start having to think about players like Chris Hill, Alex Walmsley, Jon Wilkin...heck, Adrian Morley played once for Swinton!

Fair point. I would have thought that such as Patch Walker and Dom Brambani would have been in with a shout though.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

35 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

No Alex Walmsley, Greg Johnson, Brad Day or Josh Griffin? 

You could name 3-4 teams not everyone fits into 17... shows how much of a good decade with have 

another team here 

preece, Alex Brown Griffin Bretherton Johnson Walker Brambani Walmsley Leak James Green  Day  Manning Blake 

Applegarth Mennell Mcgilvary Toohey 

1 minute ago, Keep The Faith said:

You could name 3-4 teams not everyone fits into 17... shows how much of a good decade with have 

another team here 

preece, Alex Brown Griffin Bretherton Johnson Walker Brambani Walmsley Leak James Green  Day  Manning Blake 

Grehan Mennell Mcgilvary Toohey 

Very true KTF, it just makes you realise how spoiled we have been over the last 10 years. If we could play with the either of those squads for this coming season, I'd been pretty confident of making the playoffs. 

17 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Fair point. I would have thought that such as Patch Walker and Dom Brambani would have been in with a shout though.

I think Ridyard's body of work was better than either over the 10 years ( helped by playing for stronger teams). Am not a Brierley fan but he has played most of the last 10 years in the Championship which is why he got the nod I guess.

Archived