Salford’s Grand Final Legacy

TheDuke

We have had a few months since the end of the domestic season which saw Salford end their year reaching a Grand Final, this is the best Salford side for 2 generations. They have a young ambitious coach and a modern stadium

There is no doubt that the has huge untapped potential and there is the market place for RL to succeed.

Has the exposure helped them to get more passes sold and sponsorship in the door? 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

We have had a few months since the end of the domestic season which saw Salford end their year reaching a Grand Final, this is the best Salford side for 2 generations. They have a young ambitious coach and a modern stadium

There is no doubt that the has huge untapped potential and there is the market place for RL to succeed.

Has the exposure helped them to get more passes sold and sponsorship in the door? 

I think it remains to be seen if there’s a market place in such a football obsessed city, but I really hope there is, they’re a great club and deserve more support. 

13 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

This is the Total forum where SRD bring nothing to the table. I thought everyone knew that!

From what I've read from their "slightly" unwelcoming fans is that optimism is on the up and new sponsors are on board.

Their spine and replacements look strong which is interesting. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I think it remains to be seen if there’s a market place in such a football obsessed city, but I really hope there is, they’re a great club and deserve more support. 

Yes they do but respect is a rare commodity these days.

And all clubs deserve it, as well as all fans, even the belligerent ones.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I'm sure I've seen reports that season ticket sales are up quite an amount, which is good. A combination of their on field success last year and engaging off field community work led by Jackson Hastings presents Salford with the best opportunity for some time to create a legacy.

Season tickets are well up on last year. We have a main sponsor signed up when we were still looking for anyone before the Wigan playoff game.

We also have some cash in the kitty and have balanced the wage bill so can worry a little less this year on keeping the lights on and look things like community engagement and longer term growth.

5,000 gates would be great but we need consistency- a bad season would see us right back where we were. A good cup run or push for the playoffs would do me and injuries permitting is definitely achievable.

16 hours ago, TheDuke said:

What are they doing as a club to make more people in Salford and the surrounding areas more aware of them?, and i don't ask that sarcastically

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

What are they doing as a club to make more people in Salford and the surrounding areas more aware of them?, and i don't ask that sarcastically

Is Salford a club with a large number of ethnic minorities in their district? What are the prevalent ethnicities apart from white-British?

Salford is very multi cultural these days but the minorities don't seem interested in RL. The firm I work for is about 80% non British and I have many work mates from Eastern Europe and some from Africa. I try to get people interested in RL but it's football, football. football. I was reading my RL papers in the canteen one night when a guy came up to me and pointed to a photo of a young Wigan team. He said that is my son. It was Sammy Kibula.

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

You think the AJ Bell is in the City? Are you a Sales Shark fan?

I meant the Salford/Manchester area is football obsessed, sorry for not being clear enough but at least I gave you a chance to be pedantic and try to look good  

Who are Sales Shark btw?

2 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

Salford is very multi cultural these days but the minorities don't seem interested in RL. The firm I work for is about 80% non British and I have many work mates from Eastern Europe and some from Africa. I try to get people interested in RL but it's football, football. football. I was reading my RL papers in the canteen one night when a guy came up to me and pointed to a photo of a young Wigan team. He said that is my son. It was Sammy Kibula.

Well Sammy is certainly a big powerful unit and that's why we need to get into more schools to tap into the likes of Sammy and once the kids of immigrants start playing our game the parents will show interest as well and things might snowball from there for us

Not a Salford fan myself but the best thing I think that could happen to Salford is if they were able to play elsewhere other than the AJ Bell as it is an awful stadium to get to access wise.And Salford are treated like something I recently had the misfortune to tread in on the street ie ?? 

I believe Sale Sharks want out of the place understandably so.

Now if somehow a new stadium could be built say near Salford Quays perhaps between Eccles and the Quays that both Salford City FC and Salford RLFC could use say with a capacity of 15000 all seated as Salford FC have ambitions of Championship football one day that would solve two problems.

3 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Not a Salford fan myself but the best thing I think that could happen to Salford is if they were able to play elsewhere other than the AJ Bell as it is an awful stadium to get to access wise.And Salford are treated like something I recently had the misfortune to tread in on the street ie ?? 

I believe Sale Sharks want out of the place understandably so.

Now if somehow a new stadium could be built say near Salford Quays perhaps between Eccles and the Quays that both Salford City FC and Salford RLFC could use say with a capacity of 15000 all seated as Salford FC have ambitions of Championship football one day that would solve two problems.

Sorry Rob, but that is wrong on at least two counts.

1. This 'access' thing is nonsense, as is the egress 'issue'. I used to travel to the AJB regularly from Whitby and I only once failed to get to the AJB. That was due to a traffic accident on the M62 near Huddersfield. The motorway was totally blocked and I turned round at Brighouse and went home. I believe Jodie Broughton also missed the game due to the traffic jam. Neither is there a real problem with getting away from the ground after the match (an oft-repeated myth). You just have a 10 minute wait while the pedestrians leave the immediate area and you're off.

2. Building a 15000 all-seater stadium near the Quays solves nothing. Many Red Devil fans, including this 66 year-old, like to stand. Salford can't even fill the 12000 capacity AJB yet, so 15000 is pointless. Salford City are nowhere near Championship status yet, so there is no problem with Moor Lane for them yet. Why invent problems for the clubs to solve?

3. Finally, I don't give a tuppenny one about Sale Sharks. If they have problems, let them solve them.

Time for a rethink, my friend.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

51 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Sorry Rob, but that is wrong on at least two counts.

1. This 'access' thing is nonsense, as is the egress 'issue'. I used to travel to the AJB regularly from Whitby and I only once failed to get to the AJB. That was due to a traffic accident on the M62 near Huddersfield. The motorway was totally blocked and I turned round at Brighouse and went home. I believe Jodie Broughton also missed the game due to the traffic jam. Neither is there a real problem with getting away from the ground after the match (an oft-repeated myth). You just have a 10 minute wait while the pedestrians leave the immediate area and you're off.

2. Building a 15000 all-seater stadium near the Quays solves nothing. Many Red Devil fans, including this 66 year-old, like to stand. Salford can't even fill the 12000 capacity AJB yet, so 15000 is pointless. Salford City are nowhere near Championship status yet, so there is no problem with Moor Lane for them yet. Why invent problems for the clubs to solve?

3. Finally, I don't give a tuppenny one about Sale Sharks. If they have problems, let them solve them.

Time for a rethink, my friend.

Your missing the biggest complaint. People want easy public transport, with good pubs nearby, and unless you included helicopter flights as public transport the aj bell simply doesn't have it. Salford keys does with the metro system.

42 minutes ago, North but south said:

Your missing the biggest complaint. People want easy public transport, with good pubs nearby, and unless you included helicopter flights as public transport the aj bell simply doesn't have it. Salford keys does with the metro system.

I want a Ferrari, but until they retail for £25000, I won't get one.

There is a pub that I could literally crawl to from the AJB. There are, I believe, two bus routes that go past the AJB and, while I know they are not as frequent as they could be, a bit of planning could see you get there. Seriously, what do "people" want? Do they want the club to send a taxi to their door and take them to the stadium? If I could make it there from Whitby, surely anyone in Greater Manchester could make it there if they want to. It's not that difficult.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 hours ago, North but south said:

Most of the complainants that I come into contact with are going off hearsay and when asked when they last visited the AJBell they have never been.

As has already been mentioned the access and egress have improved markedly over the last couple of seasons, the stadium company and the Red Devil’s work more closely together than was the case when it opened.

I loved the Willows but I love the AJ Bell now and not many people were complaining last season,I wonder why?

To get a stadium on the Quays would be a non starter due to the costs and when the Metro arrives at the Trafford Centre things may well improve once again.

8 hours ago, North but south said:

Trams will run to the Traford Centre early 2020.

From there it is a 15 min walk, (( or a 5 min bus ride) to AJ BELL )) but I bet this hard to get too rubbish will carry on long after that!

There are  about 8 pubs/restaurants in Salford Quays - there are 4 within a 5 min walk of the AJ Bell and approx 36 within a 15 min walk.

No posh ones, like Marco Pierre White ( in Salford Quays), but RL fans are not  famous for spending £40 on a fish supper or £6 a pint.

(P.S. -  Keys are something you use to unlock a door).

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

Yes I travel to work leaving an M    post code and arrive in an M post code. I live 2 miles from Leigh. I’m 13 miles away from either the City of Salford or Manchester.

Get your thinking cap on.

I live in a M postcode area and travel to another M postcode area to watch the matches, and the AJ Bell is still in the City of Salford.

The Trafford centre is the other side of the ship canal and over a mile walk. Yes there is supposedly a shuttle bus that runs on match days but I've never seen it.

Driving isn't the issue as it's located just off the m60, but public transport is poor. You have two buses the 67and the 100.

I personally think the marketing done by Salford for the new season is good, the video board at the start of the m602 would have been seen by lots of people.

Taking both of those into consideration 5000 people waiting waiting for a bus that holds 40 people every 30 mins is poor. Whilst if they came from Cadishead they could get the train from glazebrook or irlam to deansgate and hope on the metro to Salford quays.

But what about expanding the fan base, which should be the aim of every club. Altrinham could jump on the metro straight to Salford quays. Someone from Manchester city centre Salford Quays is easier to get to.

A better solution than building a new stadium would be extending the metro from eccles past the aj bell to warrington, via birchwood. But at the moment the aj bell location isn't great for public transport. 

Archived