Salford’s Grand Final Legacy

TheDuke

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Plus the national media report on club RU a lot, while barely mentioning RL, even though their club game is barely any bigger than ours. Must help Sale’s crowds compared to Salford’s  

Yep and in fairness they aren't afraid to throw the ball around occasionally which helps.... If they did what Exeter do every week then no one would be there at all

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many threads on here end talking yawn;  I can't imagine why that is!

As an antidote ......

image.png.2f4dcf3171b13833969e1e705bb17c39.png

image.png.b21ecb4d57be7c586cffc26e4735ed55.png

Two examples that show there is a GF legacy and it's worth talking about without reference to other sports.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, headtackle said:

Salford's problem is location. They are on the West of the Salford/Manchester city region and at a stadium that is on one of the busiest motorway junctions in the country.

Assuming most of teh existing support comes from Eccles/Salford to grow, they need to draw from south Manchester (Sale, Altrincham, Didsbury etc) or east Manchester  (Ardwick, Longsight, Man City ground area etc). They cannot really go further west as within a few miles they are well into Warrington, Saints, Wigan & Leigh terrority.

Looking at the demographics of their target market. South manchester is full of students, young professionals and out in Altrincham/Hale wealthly professionals. Students won't commit to go every week. The Altrincham/Hale residents may go if on corporate hospitality but as a rule tend to favour Union having played it at the likes of Manchester Grammar. If they venture out at the weekend to watch a game it would more than likely be Sale.

In the East a number of areas have a very Asian influence which as we know does not make up a big proportion of the games fan base. By the time you get over further east you are looking at a fair old trip to get to the AJ Bell by car or tram and tbh it is probably just not worth the effort.

The final thing is the branding. You need to appeal to people of Manchester as a whole while for understandable tradition refusing to use the Manchester name. Like it or not, outsiders do not see much difference between Manchester and Salford. They see it as one blob on a map. Having lived and played in Eccles I fully undertsand the issue re the name and the city of Salford. However these days for business purposes, and the way the game is going  I would think they need to go out on a limb and consider some rebranding. Which has the most marketing pull to outsiders -  Toronto/London v Salford  or Toronto v Manchester Red Devils.  

With the Trafford centre link Salford's best bet might be to play all games on a Sat or Sunday after k.o 2.30 or so. Appeal to streotypes such as "leave the missus happily shopping" and you might pull some in. I would certainly use it as an excuse to get away from the hell hole that is the TC    

Anway good luck to them this year. I hope last year was not a blip and that they have another successful season 

Salford, even without Manchester or surrounding towns that are part of GM, is still bigger than most SL towns except Leeds and Hull. 

11 hours ago, Oxford said:

Too many threads on here end talking yawn;  I can't imagine why that is!

As an antidote ......

image.png.2f4dcf3171b13833969e1e705bb17c39.png

image.png.b21ecb4d57be7c586cffc26e4735ed55.png

Two examples that show there is a GF legacy and it's worth talking about without reference to other sports.

Not  sure that is the best example to use - Morson have been sponsors of Sharks for several years, indeed I think their CEO is on the SS  Board of Directors!

That said - it is great to see an international, Salford based company, get involved in RL!

19 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They get about 6000 - think Reds get about 4000 so not a huge difference 

So Sale get 50% more than Salford. Thats a lot more. Any club increasing their crowds by 50% would be an incredible achievement.

I’m sure Salford will get a lot more away fans than Sale too,  with many of Salford’s opponents only a stones throw away with Sale been out on a  RU limb.

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

So Sale get 50% more than Salford. Thats a lot more. Any club increasing their crowds by 50% would be an incredible achievement.

I’m sure Salford will get a lot more away fans than Sale too,  with many of Salford’s opponents only a stones throw away with Sale been out on a  RU limb.

According to the club the away support at the AJ Bell has decreased over the last couple of years, apart from a couple of clubs.

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

Salford, even without Manchester or surrounding towns that are part of GM, is still bigger than most SL towns except Leeds and Hull. 

I know. The problem is that because it spreads over a large area no-one can pin point where exactly it is, where the centre is or landmarks.

This means that branding as Salford does not immediately appeal to those from Manchester

Re drawing from surrounding Greater Manchester towns most of them already have their own teams albeit at a lower level and are not going to switch to watch Salford ie Swinton, Rochdale, Oldham, Leigh.

21 minutes ago, headtackle said:

I know. The problem is that because it spreads over a large area no-one can pin point where exactly it is, where the centre is or landmarks.

This means that branding as Salford does not immediately appeal to those from Manchester

Re drawing from surrounding Greater Manchester towns most of them already have their own teams albeit at a lower level and are not going to switch to watch Salford ie Swinton, Rochdale, Oldham, Leigh.

Yeah but my point is Salford is already big enough to sustain a thriving top flight side so they don’t need to appeal to the whole of GM, they’re named after a big city already  

I think we agree that Salford should easily be big enough to support a SL team.

We also know that Salford is a separate city.

Salford's problem is that a lot of people don't. I bet if you asked a sample of non RL fans not many would know a) where Salford is and b) that it is a distinct city from Manchester.

On 27/12/2019 at 14:35, headtackle said:

I think we agree that Salford should easily be big enough to support a SL team.

We also know that Salford is a separate city.

Salford's problem is that a lot of people don't. I bet if you asked a sample of non RL fans not many would know a) where Salford is and b) that it is a distinct city from Manchester.

Especially the average Man U fan...??

53 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Old Trafford isn't in Salford. Why do so many people think this?

That's the point kid, most Man U fans now nothing about greater Manchester... not a good joke if you have to explain it to the slowest person in the room I know.

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

That's the point kid, most Man U fans now nothing about greater Manchester... not a good joke if you have to explain it to the slowest person in the room I know.

Or maybe it just wasn't that good a joke, kid? If you concentrate on being funny rather than patronising, you may just get there eventually.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

16 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

7 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Chill kid, sence of humour doesn't cost anything.

4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Neither does grace.

Kid.

You two have got to be kidding.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

On 26/12/2019 at 23:08, headtackle said:

Salford's problem is location. They are on the West of the Salford/Manchester city region and at a stadium that is on one of the busiest motorway junctions in the country.

Assuming most of teh existing support comes from Eccles/Salford to grow, they need to draw from south Manchester (Sale, Altrincham, Didsbury etc) or east Manchester  (Ardwick, Longsight, Man City ground area etc). They cannot really go further west as within a few miles they are well into Warrington, Saints, Wigan & Leigh terrority.

Looking at the demographics of their target market. South manchester is full of students, young professionals and out in Altrincham/Hale wealthly professionals. Students won't commit to go every week. The Altrincham/Hale residents may go if on corporate hospitality but as a rule tend to favour Union having played it at the likes of Manchester Grammar. If they venture out at the weekend to watch a game it would more than likely be Sale.

In the East a number of areas have a very Asian influence which as we know does not make up a big proportion of the games fan base. By the time you get over further east you are looking at a fair old trip to get to the AJ Bell by car or tram and tbh it is probably just not worth the effort.

The final thing is the branding. You need to appeal to people of Manchester as a whole while for understandable tradition refusing to use the Manchester name. Like it or not, outsiders do not see much difference between Manchester and Salford. They see it as one blob on a map. Having lived and played in Eccles I fully undertsand the issue re the name and the city of Salford. However these days for business purposes, and the way the game is going  I would think they need to go out on a limb and consider some rebranding. Which has the most marketing pull to outsiders -  Toronto/London v Salford  or Toronto v Manchester Red Devils.  

With the Trafford centre link Salford's best bet might be to play all games on a Sat or Sunday after k.o 2.30 or so. Appeal to streotypes such as "leave the missus happily shopping" and you might pull some in. I would certainly use it as an excuse to get away from the hell hole that is the TC    

Anway good luck to them this year. I hope last year was not a blip and that they have another successful season 

I doubt Salford council would be happy after they funded a ground for them and lent them money 

A name change would be stupid 

If the club had some on field success it would help 

The crowds now are similar to the willows so the move hasn't been such a good one.  

The willows wasn't that bad a ground either 

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

I doubt Salford council would be happy after they funded a ground for them and lent them money 

A name change would be stupid 

If the club had some on field success it would help 

The crowds now are similar to the willows so the move hasn't been such a good one.  

The willows wasn't that bad a ground either 

Don't know the details of the clubs current finances but If the Council are owed money by the club they would probably welcome anything that gave them a better chance of securing it and getting it paid back on time and in full. Am sure they could swallow a name change to protect tax payers money

Name change - why is it stupid? With all respect "Salford" has proved not to be a valuable brand name and is not a major intangible asset. Outside of the North West nobody has referred to Salford RL since the days Keith Fielding was winning Superstars. A change to include Manchester even if "Salford & Manchester Red Devils" would help with recognition and broaden the market particularly given our new international expansion. 

The move from the Willows was IMO a mistake. Like you say Salford has never attracted big crowds and the Willows was probably pretty adequate. I don't know if redevelopment of the Willows would have been viable given the hosuing surrounding it but suspect crowds would have held up better.  

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 20:25, Red Willow said:

If Manchester name is such a bonus can you explain why Manchester RU aren't bigger than Sale?

That really should end that argument.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

That really should end that argument.

Sale benefitted from the marketing skills of Peter Deakin

Bull mania became shark mania or something like in the 90's + being backed by Brian Kennedy helps as well

Manchester Union don't play in Manchester either playing down at Cheadle Hulme near Stockport in Cheshire. Oldest club in teh country

All of this probably goes to show you can play anywhere under any name. Just need a good product on the picth

All it shows is the 2 Manchester clubs dominate. I don't know enough about Sale's demographics to know if they, like Salford's fan base are also football fans.

Every year we have this post, the same arguments from people that know nothing about the area or Salford.

The true legacy is more season tickets sold and a permanent advert on Regent Road.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 09:48, headtackle said:

Don't know the details of the clubs current finances but If the Council are owed money by the club they would probably welcome anything that gave them a better chance of securing it and getting it paid back on time and in full. Am sure they could swallow a name change to protect tax payers money

Name change - why is it stupid? With all respect "Salford" has proved not to be a valuable brand name and is not a major intangible asset. Outside of the North West nobody has referred to Salford RL since the days Keith Fielding was winning Superstars. A change to include Manchester even if "Salford & Manchester Red Devils" would help with recognition and broaden the market particularly given our new international expansion. 

The move from the Willows was IMO a mistake. Like you say Salford has never attracted big crowds and the Willows was probably pretty adequate. I don't know if redevelopment of the Willows would have been viable given the hosuing surrounding it but suspect crowds would have held up better.  

Salford RL is the only top tier Salford sports team;  And they do owe several £m to the council.

If you have ever visited Salford  Council main offices, they are proud of  them ( as per the decals on the wall in reception).  I guess that is part of the reason Salford Council has been so willing to support them financially ( in loans, the stadium, forgoing rent, etc).

If they ever become Manchester whatever, then the council may as well give up and support Sale Sharks who also play in Salford, but actually pay their bills.

If that Salford name goes it would be impossible for Salford Council to carry on the way they have for the last 5/6 years.

Archived