Salford’s Grand Final Legacy

TheDuke

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 01:23, SL17 said:

I just travelled from work to home. Shuttle service from Makro car parking and buses to the Trafford center.. 

Are these options available on RL games?

No

- Straying way into cross code stuff here - but can't explain or develop without. -

They are paid for by Sale Sharks - it is not a stadium initiative.  There are now 4 double deck busses offering FREE transport from the TC to AJ Bell, 2 hours before kick off until 2 hours after. ( shuttling between the 2).

SS also offer any club/pub/group who can sell 50 tickets - they pay for the return coach. ( I guess within an area!)

Not really applicable to SRD, but on expected busy home games SS pay a block amount to allow free access for all traffic, over the toll bridge, preventing traffic build up and delays. 

I have on numerous times suggested SRD copy some of this - I know it is expensive but it is getting larger and larger numbers.

The metro line to Trafford centre will open April - why not offer a free shuttle bus from the TC and its 11,000 free parking spaces to anyone with a match ticket? Couple of minibuses to start ( SRD foundation all ready has 2) and if it gets to the stage you need 4 double deck busses, shuttling between the 2,  that has to be a good thing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the thing that people miss when discussing the likes of Salford's ground and similar is that no matter what public shuttles are put on, free or not, plenty of people have no desire to be sitting on public transport or being stuck in traffic on major motorway junctions at busy times. Many also don't want to (or are unable) to be walking 15 minutes. People shouldn't just be stating how easy it is for people and burying their head in the sand - people not going are not making it up, the travel does not meet their requirements. The answer may be that you write those customers off and have to focus on new ones, but that is part of where they now are, just putting shuttles on isn't necessarily going to appeal to some of these customers.

What appears to be overlooked is that at many grounds, it is possible to access them by walking along to the ground, maybe calling at a couple of pubs along the way. The Willows was in a residential area, and tbh most other grounds in RL are (if not all of them). People don't always want to take the major event transport options. That isn't to be dismissed or sneered at, it needs to be faced into.

I recall when Warrington were getting their new ground and the two key sites were a business park a few miles out of town just off the motorway or the town centre site they now have. I think it is quite clear that the site we now have is undoubtedly far superior - despite the motorway site looking favourable for a long time.

Irrespective of arguments about whether shuttles should be free, or how regular, or whaetever, the journey to this stadium is not working for the fans that used to walk to the Willows - I suspect those fans need replacing with fans who are prepared to travel. Just keep hitting the old fans and mithering them to start making the journey is relatively futile imo.

On 03/01/2020 at 03:04, kiyan said:

Salford RL is the only top tier Salford sports team;  And they do owe several £m to the council.

If you have ever visited Salford  Council main offices, they are proud of  them ( as per the decals on the wall in reception).  I guess that is part of the reason Salford Council has been so willing to support them financially ( in loans, the stadium, forgoing rent, etc).

If they ever become Manchester whatever, then the council may as well give up and support Sale Sharks who also play in Salford, but actually pay their bills.

If that Salford name goes it would be impossible for Salford Council to carry on the way they have for the last 5/6 years.

Salford City FC are a top tier sports team and get bigger gates than the SRD. 

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think the thing that people miss when discussing the likes of Salford's ground and similar is that no matter what public shuttles are put on, free or not, plenty of people have no desire to be sitting on public transport or being stuck in traffic on major motorway junctions at busy times. Many also don't want to (or are unable) to be walking 15 minutes. People shouldn't just be stating how easy it is for people and burying their head in the sand - people not going are not making it up, the travel does not meet their requirements. The answer may be that you write those customers off and have to focus on new ones, but that is part of where they now are, just putting shuttles on isn't necessarily going to appeal to some of these customers.

What appears to be overlooked is that at many grounds, it is possible to access them by walking along to the ground, maybe calling at a couple of pubs along the way. The Willows was in a residential area, and tbh most other grounds in RL are (if not all of them). People don't always want to take the major event transport options. That isn't to be dismissed or sneered at, it needs to be faced into.

I recall when Warrington were getting their new ground and the two key sites were a business park a few miles out of town just off the motorway or the town centre site they now have. I think it is quite clear that the site we now have is undoubtedly far superior - despite the motorway site looking favourable for a long time.

Irrespective of arguments about whether shuttles should be free, or how regular, or whaetever, the journey to this stadium is not working for the fans that used to walk to the Willows - I suspect those fans need replacing with fans who are prepared to travel. Just keep hitting the old fans and mithering them to start making the journey is relatively futile imo.

Agreed, a lot of grounds in all sports are plonked in the middle of nowhere which for the traditional walk up fan is a pain.

Warrington and Saints have done ok with their locations but Wigan isnt ideal and the likes of the Reebok are in the middle of nowhere

As you say old fans will die off so the demographics and attitudes may change. Walking to the ground and having a beer or three on the way still holds a lot of appeal though  

Put this on the Valencia thread but here as well I think ....

DEVILS YOUNGSTERS SET FOR VALENCIA

“It’s our responsibility as Betfred Super League Grand Finalists in 2019, to harness our influence for the benefit of the sport as a whole.
 "

https://www.salfordreddevils.net/red-devils-youngsters-set-for-valencia/

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 15:57, Quinskolar said:

Salford City FC are a top tier sports team and get bigger gates than the SRD. 

When did they jump into the premiership?

Archived