RIP FRANK FOSTER

The Vet

Before my time to know as a player  but many say one of the hardest players to have played the game has sadly passed away, Iv heard many great stories of him as a coach and his working life as an electrician in the Barrow Shipyard!

Yes one of the hardest men to play the game he was Roger Millwards minder but a great player in his own right. I had the pleasure of drinking out of the Yorkshire Cup with him in Rovers Supporters Club. 
A hard men but true gentleman off the pitch. 
RIP will never be forgotten.

I remember him well from his Bradford days. He has got to be the toughest pound for pound forward ever to play the game.If anybody got a sly dig in at Frank they needed eyes in the back of their heads for the rest of the game because sure as egge are eggs Frank would get his revenge. If not in that game the next time he played against them.Roger Millward always used to talk about Frank as his minder.Even the Aussie great Artie Beetson is on record as naming Frank the hardest player he played with or against. He was always a gentleman off the field also.

R.I.P. Frank and thanks for the memories.

27 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

I remember him well from his Bradford days. He has got to be the toughest pound for pound forward ever to play the game.If anybody got a sly dig in at Frank they needed eyes in the back of their heads for the rest of the game because sure as egge are eggs Frank would get his revenge. If not in that game the next time he played against them.Roger Millward always used to talk about Frank as his minder.Even the Aussie great Artie Beetson is on record as naming Frank the hardest player he played with or against. He was always a gentleman off the field also.

R.I.P. Frank and thanks for the memories.

The older ones in Hull tell a story about Frank and Artie having a disagreement whilst out socially after training/a match that ends with Artie asleep in a toilet cubicle. No one has ever disputed it.

Ray French and David Watkins both tell good, and very "respectful", stories about him in their autobiographies.

It is a regret I never saw him play and have never caught any footage of him. Even the most mediocre nowadays can live forever and a day.

Marty, 

I have Arthur Beetsons auto biography called " Big Artie". In it he tells how when he signed for H.K.R. the first man he came across was Frank Foster who was the hardest man in R.L. He said when he got on the weight scales he was near on 18st which was big in those days. Frank said to him if you go down make sure you are not near me.He became Arties best mate at H.K.R. then when they decided to transfer him to Whitehaven the rumour was that they wanted to transfer him earlier but it took the Directors two years to pluck up the courage to tell him.

Archived