Who's coming from christmas dinner?

For some reason Mrs hizzouse insists its at ours every year. We have her mum and dad coming so out of respect to her dad we have nothing pork related,my mum,been vegetarian for 58 years,plus it's her first xmas since my dad died,we also have liam and Hayley who have a beautiful little girl,4 years old,but they are separated,Liam's mum Karen (they haven't spoken in two years). Karen's autistic daughter rebecca who is a joy,Karen's other daughter Elaine who thinks she is above everyone else,my brother in law Ali,my daughter and her boyfriend (don't get me started).that said,we will get through it.so,who have you unruly bunch got coming?

We always have it at ours tend to go round the rest of the family on Boxing Day. This year it’s  me the Mrs our daughter the mother in law and a late addition of a sister in law after a break  up. I’m sure there’ll be some tears.....

I should be ok if I can get out for a few pints early on. 

Nothing stays the same.

For over 40 years my wife has been chef/ patron at Chez Banks.

Our parents and various uncles and aunts have come and gone. Our two girls their husbands and 4 sons have made up the party in the latter years. This year I fear will be the end of an era.

My oldest daughter wants to start her own tradition. Her oldest is now at uni and has a flock of girls around him. She says it's time for both of us to go round to hers. So I will make the most of this year's do and once again will love it when they have all gone home happy and slightly tipsy.

What ever you are doing I hope you all have a gud un!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

For the last 10 years or so, my sister has taken charge of Christmas dinner. She has the Delia Smith schedule down to a tee, and the results are excellent. All offers of help are gracefully received and never taken up. Thankfully, nobody in the family has food allergies, intolerances, exclusion diets or any other medical/neurotic restrictions, so we have the full works served up.

The only exception is the brandy (or sometimes rum) butter for the Christmas pudding, which is my brother-in-law's personal task. He manages to get a serious amount of booze into it, the trick of which is apparently all down to long and relentless stirring.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reading the above makes me even more glad I am happily Divorced and there is only my brother and myself to deal with. We rub along quite well so it's ok, do I miss all the family stuff?  not really, quite happy as I am thanks.

12 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

For some reason Mrs hizzouse insists its at ours every year. We have her mum and dad coming so out of respect to her dad we have nothing pork related,my mum,been vegetarian for 58 years,plus it's her first xmas since my dad died,we also have liam and Hayley who have a beautiful little girl,4 years old,but they are separated,Liam's mum Karen (they haven't spoken in two years). Karen's autistic daughter rebecca who is a joy,Karen's other daughter Elaine who thinks she is above everyone else,my brother in law Ali,my daughter and her boyfriend (don't get me started).that said,we will get through it.so,who have you unruly bunch got coming?

Have you sold the right to this  evolution of Abigail's Party to Netflix, Amazon or the BBC? ?

Just me and the missus this year.Such bliss.

I do the cooking but she decides the menu.Joints of pork and gammon and a turkey crown.Looks like cold meat and bubble and squeak for acouple of days then various curries and pasta dishes.After that the dog will be very happy.

All the very best wishes to you all.

last year we went to a beach bar in gran canaria, had a pizza and a pint, no one even mentioned xmas or presents or anything else related , stayed for another couple of pints when some lovely young ladies set up to play topless beach volleyball right in front of our table, have always liked that sport.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Went to Midnight mass at my local c of E church last night, for the first time in 14 years, didn't enjoy it at all, too high church, incense & sung replies, I thought I had stumbled into a Catholic church by mistake.

Just me & my 11 year old daughter today.

Me and the Mrs  our prefered Xmas

One of the best we had was in Tunisia where circumstances led to us having egg and chips as the Christmas meal!

The best ones were in France in the Aude when the weather looked more like spring than winter though that wasn't always the case.

Our kid always has the whole world and the entire Sioux Nation where the drinking starts about 9:15 am and never takes a pause, and when I asked for water intead of alcohol the room went deathly quiet.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just me and the wife this year. Absolutely selfishly about us and no one else today for the first time in our 20 years of marriage. 

Roast beef for me and chicken for the wife. Neither of us really like turkey so we chose what we want and not a concession to the others attending. Flipped the coin and I’m cooking with my wife as able assistant and pan washer. 

We won’t do this every year, it’s just nice for once for it to be absolutely about us and no one else. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just me, the Mrs and her 90 year old nan today. As it's just the three of us it'll be fairly low key. The nan is a vegetarian, has been for almost 50 years and the Mrs is vegan. I'm very much neither. But tomorrow we have the Mrs favourite niece and family coming round, so we're making that the big day. For tomorrow I've done my usual and invested in a free range bronze turkey. They're by no means cheap, but the difference in quality is worth every penny. They only need a fraction of the cooking time; you can even serve it slightly pink. Once you've tried one I doubt you'd ever go back to a bog standard dry supermarket job. I'm the head chef and can't wait as I really enjoy doing a special meal for appreciative guests.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Brunch in Shanghai.

Smoked salmon and tuna etc a myriad of ways. Loads of Italian starters of courgettes, mozarella, tomatoes, olives etc etc. 

Seafood of prawns, crabs, lobsters etc

Hams, turkeys, beef, lamb.

No roast potatoes!! Had the head chef bring me sprouts and a freshly made batch of Yorkshire puddings as he heard me grumbling and being from Leeds he wanted to do me a favour ?

A shed of champagne, a choir and a few gymnastic shows. Not bad.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Christmas dinner done ? 

Cullen Skink for starter

Roast beef for me, roast chicken for the wife

Cranachan for dessert

and Christmas pudding ready for enjoying in the evening

Stuffed full and doing nowt but t’interweb and a large brandy while the wife cleans the kitchen. Works out well this way, we don’t get under each others’ feet but I’m happy I won the toss and got to choose cooking.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, ckn said:

Stuffed full and doing nowt but t’interweb and a large brandy while the wife cleans the kitchen. Works out well this way, we don’t get under each others’ feet but I’m happy I won the toss and got to choose cooking

That's the way we always distribute the work in our house; I cook, she cleans up while I relax with something nice to hand. This evening it will be a rather nice port.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

On 22/12/2019 at 10:58, Bearman said:

Nothing stays the same.

For over 40 years my wife has been chef/ patron at Chez Banks.

Our parents and various uncles and aunts have come and gone. Our two girls their husbands and 4 sons have made up the party in the latter years. This year I fear will be the end of an era.

My oldest daughter wants to start her own tradition. Her oldest is now at uni and has a flock of girls around him. She says it's time for both of us to go round to hers. So I will make the most of this year's do and once again will love it when they have all gone home happy and slightly tipsy.

What ever you are doing I hope you all have a gud un!

It's been lovely.

I think I will just chill now that they have gone. Hopefully I can just maintain this state of equilibrium of being neither sober or inebriated. Just so relaxed.

Good night all.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

42 minutes ago, Bearman said:

It's been lovely.

I think I will just chill now that they have gone. Hopefully I can just maintain this state of equilibrium of being neither sober or inebriated. Just so relaxed.

Good night all.

Good work, Ron. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

My cooker did it's best to ruin Christmas dinner. Normally I cook for myself using one, or two rings, +/- my oven, yesterday was the day I discovered any more than that & it shuts down. Completely.

I managed to reset it and cook very slowly on 2 rings, but it wasn't great.

Deep Fried Prawn Cocktail

Turkey, Mac n Cheese, sprouts, roast spuds, parsnips, carrots & broccoli & gravy

Italian Chocolate Yule Log

For those who pretend to give a toss.

Presents: a school photo of my daughter & a Ladybird book, on Brexit

I've had better Christmas's

10 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

My cooker did it's best to ruin Christmas dinner. Normally I cook for myself using one, or two rings, +/- my oven, yesterday was the day I discovered any more than that & it shuts down. Completely.

I managed to reset it and cook very slowly on 2 rings, but it wasn't great.

Deep Fried Prawn Cocktail

Turkey, Mac n Cheese, sprouts, roast spuds, parsnips, carrots & broccoli & gravy

Italian Chocolate Yule Log

For those who pretend to give a toss.

Presents: a school photo of my daughter & a Ladybird book, on Brexit

I've had better Christmas's

Was the daughter able to be there?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

13 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Was the daughter able to be there?

Yes. We had a nice time otherwise, had a game of Monopoly (Manchester version) before dinner, than had a laugh playing charades after, then Scrabble, where she got QUIZ with the Z on a Triple Letter score.

Beaten at Scrabble by an 11 year old!

Archived