Sam Barlow’s search for redemption following four-year ban

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This sort of comment appears a lot on forums, and I genuinely don't get it.

Firstly, what do you mean by "bullying tactics"? Tackling hard, running over them, that sort of thing?

Or do you mean foul play, in which case are you expecting Barlow to see things the ref doesn't see? And if so what are you hoping he will do about it to "look after" the youngsters?

There are the visible bullying tactics ... knees in the tackle, coming in under the ribs as third tackler etc ... and the non-visible bullying of making verbal threats. If the referee doesn't step in to protect your teammates you have to respond ... either verbally or by starting a fight. Force the referee to control the game; that's been true as long as rugby has been played.

One man throws an unprovoked punch, he gets sent off. If both teams get stuck in, one from each team will either get sent off or sin-binned ... that's the reality since the sin bin was introduced.

No one wants to see fighting in a game at any level but there's never been an adult player who hasn't given and taken a few punches in a melee.  99% of them will have started every game with no intention of having a fight or being a bully.

If there are no psychos playing, even poor referees can control a game without it resulting in fights. I don't know which team you support but you, like me, will remember players you had who were absolute loose cannons. I won't cite any because I don't want to get sued.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

16 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I'm going on the assumption that we've signed a thug with acknowledged talent. Anything less on the enforcer front will be a pleasant surprise.

We do genuinely need someone to look after our youngsters if the opposition tries bullying tactics. We don't need anyone to start fights that our youngsters will get drawn into.

After his previous issues with drug-testing, I suspect  he'll be one of the first players nominated for 2020 testing.

He were a very talented player its just a shame he threw away his career with over hyping himself, bad choices, and the rest.  On a side note someone desparate to get back in to the game he loved would surely have been training the house down ready for his return to the game. By all accounts he came back in terible shape which is going to ask a lot of questions.

On 30/12/2019 at 17:48, Robthegasman said:

Sam Barlow should never have been treated in this way.

The way that the drugs tester acted in a manner that would have done Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party proud well the tester got what he deserved.You don’t behave in that manner at someone’s house just to get a sample of ######.

He defended himself and his family that day from a thug. Yes he may have had to have acted like one himself but for every action there is a reaction.

Now don’t get me wrong I am all for outing the cheats and flushing them out of the game.

But there is a time and place for everything and a certain way of doing it.

I personally would like to see them get tested after a game or training and a good number of them too.They should not go anywhere near a players home or his family.

Sometimes it's hard for the drug testing to be done post game/training as some clubs, who seem to have a questionable culture when it comes to this subject, seek to obstruct the process at the very point that you're suggesting.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

On 31/12/2019 at 00:38, Wolford6 said:

I'm going on the assumption that we've signed a thug with acknowledged talent. Anything less on the enforcer front will be a pleasant surprise.

We do genuinely need someone to look after our youngsters if the opposition tries bullying tactics. We don't need anyone to start fights that our youngsters will get drawn into.

After his previous issues with drug-testing, I suspect  he'll be one of the first players nominated for 2020 testing.

Nature of the game mate.  Physical domination.  Youngsters have nothing to do with it.

Archived