Ticket Prices - How much is too much?

Should get plenty of different opinions on this, as there is no right or wrong answer and each answer is personal to each of us. Was looking at ticket prices for a couple of sporting events (not RL) and got thinking about how much I consider to be too much for certain events and sports. 

I’ve seen some moan that tickets for England v Australia at Spurs is £40+ but personally, I don’t mind paying that for a game that doesn’t happen too often and is a pretty big game (game three, isn’t it?) but I wouldn’t pay £40 for a standard regular season Super League round. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tickets for the Spurs game start at £25, with a fiver off for supporters club members. 

Not sure where the £40 tag has come from. 

That is pretty good. But we shouldn't ignore the fact that a lot of world class sport can be watched for relatively cheap nowadays. None of it as good as an RL test IMHO but I am part of a minority. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Tickets for the Spurs game start at £25, with a fiver off for supporters club members. 

Not sure where the £40 tag has come from. 

That is pretty good. But we shouldn't ignore the fact that a lot of world class sport can be watched for relatively cheap nowadays. None of it as good as an RL test IMHO but I am part of a minority. 

I think (though I could be wrong) some tickets in a higher category are priced at £40. Though of course people don’t have to sit there if they don’t want/can’t afford. 

nrl ticket prices can be ridiculous.  like $50 pp.  they do have a good option of $80 for family (x4).  with the cost of food and drink its an expensive day out.

event games are through the roof.

the best tickets (not corporate) for a grand final are over $250 as for origin.  the ARLC makes a killing off these events.

4 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

It all depends on what kind of seat you're getting.  $100 would be too much to be in an upper corner or end zone but could be a great deal a midfield close to the action.

whats the cost at lamport ? imo 100 is a lot to sit in that stadium.

is there a special price for the carboard cutouts lol

18 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

whats the cost at lamport ? imo 100 is a lot to sit in that stadium.

is there a special price for the carboard cutouts lol

Roughly $35 CDN for everyone...unless you are visiting from Wigan...then its $70 US.

I think £40 for an international is decent. To be honest for any event I was really interested in going to id pay that. My limit for a RL event would probably be about £50 and I base that on the fact I paid that for the challenge Cup final a couple of years back and got a good seat. 

As has been said, I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a regular season game. Cos I'm a season ticket holder at Hull I'm not 100% sure of individual ticket prices these days but I seem to think the cheapest are about £23-24 or something like that. I don't know if non-season ticket holders think that is decent or not but I don't think I'd want to go any higher than that. That has gone up quite quickly recently as well. There was a couple of years I couldn't get a season ticket about 5-6 years or so back due to work commitments so was attending just the occasional game and I was paying £19 for those same tickets so the price seems to be rising by about £1 a year. 

I'm still a bit confused by this £40 thing. Tickets start at £25 and the best seats are above £40 as they have been for a while now. 

The pricing across this series seems very reasonable, and whilst it is true that the London game is more expensive there is an abundance of tickets at £35 and £35.

It is interesting to note though that the bigger grounds in London often have cheaper tickets available as it is harder to fill them, maybe they will be aggressively targeting the London events crowd who will think nothing of paying up to £70.

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

Quote not intended 

I paid £15 for my Boxing Day ticket and £15 for JJB’s testimonial/Burrow fundraising game, that’s good value I’d say, but granted they are friendlies.

For away games or internationals I will pay £20 to £25, I don’t pay more because I’m always happy with the view for these prices so don’t see the point in paying more.

I’d say this is decent value for internationals but a bit steep for away games, prices have certainly crept up at quite a few clubs, makes you think twice and limit the number of away games.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I paid £15 for my Boxing Day ticket and £15 for JJB’s testimonial/Burrow fundraising game, that’s good value I’d say, but granted they are friendlies.

For away games or internationals I will pay £20 to £25, I don’t pay more because I’m always happy with the view for these prices so don’t see the point in paying more.

I’d say this is decent value for internationals but a bit steep for away games, prices have certainly crept up at quite a few clubs, makes you think twice and limit the number of away games.

For regular SL games I think the price is OK, particularly as you can get good discounts with season tickets, but I do think the pricing (and sales method) is all wrong for games with less demand like cup and playoff games. 

Even the big football clubs recognise this and you can go and watch some games for as little as a tenner now at Old Trafford and £15 at City. 

I think the pricing for the internationals is sensible. 

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm still a bit confused by this £40 thing. Tickets start at £25 and the best seats are above £40 as they have been for a while now. 

The pricing across this series seems very reasonable, and whilst it is true that the London game is more expensive there is an abundance of tickets at £35 and £35.

It is interesting to note though that the bigger grounds in London often have cheaper tickets available as it is harder to fill them, maybe they will be aggressively targeting the London events crowd who will think nothing of paying up to £70.

What’s also worth noting is that it’s nigh on impossible to get tickets to go to Tottenham’s new ground without buying a membership (unless you’re willing to go for Women’s Football) and the NFL is quite hard to get tickets for, too, so you may well see more out for something like England v Australia. I say that because we have two people coming who’ve never seen live RL largely because it’s Tottenham’s ground. 

23 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What’s also worth noting is that it’s nigh on impossible to get tickets to go to Tottenham’s new ground without buying a membership (unless you’re willing to go for Women’s Football) and the NFL is quite hard to get tickets for, too, so you may well see more out for something like England v Australia. I say that because we have two people coming who’ve never seen live RL largely because it’s Tottenham’s ground. 

I've often stated that novelty around grounds should be used to our advantage. Keeping it fresh with a new ground each major series can work well, we usually see a decent crowd for a first game at a ground, often dropping off the next time. 

The Spurs game is certainly attractive to me and I should be able to drag a few with me. 

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

In RL, I’d go by the rule that of your stadium is not 3/4 full for every game then there is something wrong with your product and/or it’s price.

what about anz stadium on a thursday night with 8000 rattling around an 83k stadium lol.

19 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

£40 for an international is dirt cheap... like it or not

Compare that to the kick and clap or cricket

Probably worth mentioning that rugby union and cricket aren't necessarily expecting the same people to turn up three weeks in succession in the same manner as this is the case for RL. As it is, I've set myself a pool of £100 for the three England v Australia games and, given my ticket has only cost £15 for Bolton, I might go in to one of the more expensive sections at Leeds and/or Spurs.

A few years back I bought a ticket to see GB play NZ at (the old) Wembley, though I can't remember how much it cost. I got the ticket from the RFL, no indication as to exactly where I would be seated but I paid the highest price available (except for the Olympic Gallery) so I was expecting a decent seat somewhere within passing a ball distance from the halfway line. I wasn't expecting to be in a seat, very close to the dead ball line and facing onto one of the in-goal areas, which is what I got.

The crowd was just short of 40k, IIRC and there were thousands of seats, minus bums, many on the other side of the ground actually on the halfway line, and which couldn't have cost more than mine as I'd paid the highest price. I won't go to any RFL sponsored game now, unless the there is a definite seating plan.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Archived