canberra raiders to target more super league players

aj1908

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

so short term imports dont count lol

the whole idea back then was for aussie players to come short term when our season was over and yours was running in winter.

Wigan signed long term kiwis and bought the best of British if memory serves me correctly.

Wasn't having a pop at you: far from it.

Wigan won League in 1987 with 1 short term Australian in the ranks: Ian Roberts.

Late 1989 they had Phil Blake and Led Davidson who were covering Adrian Shelford and Kevin Iro who were on the kiwi tour.

Have a merry Christmas ???

2 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Wigan signed long term kiwis and bought the best of British if memory serves me correctly.

Wigan won League in 1987 with 1 short term Australian in the ranks: Ian Roberts.

Late 1989 they had Phil Blake and Led Davidson who were covering Adrian Shelford and Kevin Iro who were on the kiwi tour.

you could be right lol

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

you could be right lol

I am never or rarely right?

Remember arguing with a professional Yorkshireman I worked with about Wigan signing all the best players in late 1980s. His team Leeds signed short term Australian players by the plane load and won the Yorkshire Cup(I think) which was Garry Schofield's one n only winning ?. I could be wrong of course.

Please note that I was a massive Schofield fan and wanted him at Wigan on a long term contract: which he claimed Maurice Lindsay offered him.

Have a wonderful Christmas ??

21 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

I always called him Les or Bundy to his face.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 hours ago, CGD said:

We don't make the GF without Leilua and I can't see us winning next year without him. Crossing my fingers he stays now we've signed Scott. 

Do you mean you wouldn't have made the Grand Final in 2019 without him?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Flat Rock Kid said:

Leilua is a massive  liability as Jack Gibson used to say I can win with any sort of players except the dumb ones 

This is so true.  He's such a klutz. When I heard he was going I was happy for them.  

2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

I’m not the one naming players who are currently under contract with another club as legitimate targets.

wigan should take him to the cleaners.

Steve is that you lol you always were an angry human being lol

5 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

I’m not the one naming players who are currently under contract with another club as legitimate targets.

LOL, welcome to professional sport.

5 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

wigan should take him to the cleaners.

I've never understood why the NRL clubs participate in that game. 

If a SL club tries to extort them with a transfer fee they should just laugh in their faces then pay for the players airfare to get them over here, I mean what are the SL clubs going to do about it?

20 hours ago, aj1908 said:

canberra in the past had a major problem attracting good talent due to the weather, often paying overs for mediocre players.

The problem isn't the weather, that's just stupid base level propaganda, and it's not just Canberra that faces the problem. Apart from Brisbane and Melbourne, pretty much every team outside of Sydney struggles to attract players to move out of Sydney.

It's a matter of convenience for the players, if they're offered two contracts worth about the same, but one requires them and their families to move across the country and go through the whole process of doing that, most of the time they are going to take the contract that doesn't mean moving away from family and friends, moving house, moving the kids school, etc, etc. 

That's why clubs outside of Sydney, especially regional clubs, have to offer a sweetener, otherwise why would the players go to the trouble of moving unless they had absolutely no choice.

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

The problem isn't the weather, that's just stupid base level propaganda, and it's not just Canberra that faces the problem. Apart from Brisbane and Melbourne, pretty much every team outside of Sydney struggles to attract players to move out of Sydney.

It's a matter of convenience for the players, if they're offered two contracts worth about the same, but one requires them and their families to move across the country and go through the whole process of doing that, most of the time they are going to take the contract that doesn't mean moving away from family and friends, moving house, moving the kids school, etc, etc. 

That's why clubs outside of Sydney, especially regional clubs, have to offer a sweetener, otherwise why would the players go to the trouble of moving unless they had absolutely no choice.

Bro it's freezing 

I was.there for a 3 pm game it was 4 degrees 

Sure the weather is good in summer 

Nrl is a winter sport though 

Your right about regional sides having to pay extra 

2 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Bro it's freezing 

4 degrees isn’t freezing. I wear a t-shirt and shorts while running at temps down to -4. Colder than -4 I’ll wear a long sleeved t-shirt. 
?

3 minutes ago, Copa said:

4 degrees isn’t freezing. I wear a t-shirt and shorts while running at temps down to -4. Colder than -4 I’ll wear a long sleeved t-shirt. 
?

Tell that to the nrl players that won't go there unless you pay overs 

Or desert you first chance they get e.g. Milford 

Edit happy festivus copa

34 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Bro it's freezing 

That doesn't address the point I made at all, LOL.

Also if you think Canberra gets cold then you've never truly felt the cold.

46 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Tell that to the nrl players that won't go there unless you pay overs 

Or desert you first chance they get e.g. Milford 

Edit happy festivus copa

I’ve just come back from the Airing of Grievances. I know of a few people now who are both festivus and dragons fans ...

5 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

LOL, welcome to professional sport.

I've never understood why the NRL clubs participate in that game. 

If a SL club tries to extort them with a transfer fee they should just laugh in their faces then pay for the players airfare to get them over here, I mean what are the SL clubs going to do about it?

I see the arrogance isn't diminishing. 

2 hours ago, aj1908 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/9829302

Yeh I'm making this up.  If you were in a room by yourself you would still find a way to start an argument lol 

I'm not suggesting that you are making it up, I'm saying that just reasserting your position doesn't actually addressed the points that I made.

Oh and that article is literally the definition of surface level analysis.

9 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I see the arrogance isn't diminishing. 

What's arrogant about not wanting to be extorted?

I imagine if the next NRL club Wigan tried to sign a player from demanded 500k for the privilege of signing a player that you wouldn't be too happy about it.

In most cases a players contract negotiations should be between him and the club that is trying to sign him, the club he's moving from shouldn't have anything to do with it whatsoever, unless he needs a release in which case that is between him and his old club.

Archived