5 biggest clubs in SL

As a southerner I'm often required to explain bits about the game 

Often using the phrase 'the 5 biggest clubs tend to dominate trophies'... and then name Rhinos, Saints, Pies, Wire and Hull. 

However, did this today and afterwards I realised I'd left out TW.... After all the billions of discussions here it's just dawning on me we have another massive side in SL... Feels odd that's its finally actually happened and there is a sixth big side financially and attendance wise... Maybe trophy wise soon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

We agree with your initial 5 clubs marra. 

TW will be In relegation mix next season with the likes of Wakey, Hudds & KR.

Cats at Nr 6 by the way from your list.

Yep... Catalans I float out sometimes but obviously trophy wise not a giant outside of St. Esteve success 

I am expecting Wolfpack to be bottom half too, squad still largely Championship quality... Eg. O'brien to get found out big time by SL quality kickers

However, I really think they'll eclipse Dragons within 2 years ..... Macdermot has a lot of motive to work his socks off to make it happen 

Here are the latest odds from William Hill for the 2020 Grand Final winner, so they have the usual top five in place.

1.     St Helens                 5/2

2.     Wigan                     11/4

3.     Warrington                4/1

4.  = Hull FC                    10/1

= Leeds                      10/1

6.  = Catalans Dragons   14/1

= Castleford                14/1

8.   Toronto                    20/1

9. = Salford                    33/1

= Wakefield                33/1

11.   Huddersfield            40/1

12.   Hull KR                    50/1

45 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Oh come on.... somebody must be half cut and angry it's 7.30pm on Christmas eve.    ? 

Hey.... speak for yourself its still afternoon here.

Toronto in top 5,  I agree.

31 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

Here are the latest odds from William Hill for the 2020 Grand Final winner, so they have the usual top five in place.

1.     St Helens                 5/2

2.     Wigan                     11/4

3.     Warrington                4/1

4.  = Hull FC                    10/1

= Leeds                      10/1

6.  = Catalans Dragons   14/1

= Castleford                14/1

8.   Toronto                    20/1

9. = Salford                    33/1

= Wakefield                33/1

11.   Huddersfield            40/1

12.   Hull KR                    50/1

20-1 is decent price... Not a gambling man but worth an each way bet

It is indeed the five you mentioned BB, the only clubs who consistently average five figure crowds, with everyone else a fair way off. 

Toronto cant be described as big yet but as long as they continue to splash the cash I think they will be in two or three years.

1 minute ago, ojx said:

TWP just need to finish lower mid table this year. Over time, as they incrementally switch out old contracts for new improved players, they will be a top five team.

I expect their ambitions are greater than that, I think they’ll make the play offs and I think that’s what’s Argyll is aiming for too. 

I can't decide with TWP.  In some ways the squad underperformed in 2018 so people then forgot how many top quality players they had.  They dominated the champs in 2019 in a pretty high quality league, London proved the top few can compete at SL level. A top 6 wouldn't surprise me so much, but I still have them more like 8-10th.

TW will be up there. It's bizarre that some people think that a billionaire owner, who has bank rolled them thus far is now going to let them sink. 

He's trusting Brian Mc's judgement and will either tweak/invest further in BM's wants, or find a new coach. Results will dictate. 

The relative silence on further signings is more a reflection of how high the coach's word is taken rather than a lessening of interest. 

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Often using the phrase 'the 5 biggest clubs tend to dominate trophies'... and then name Rhinos, Saints, Pies, Wire and Hull. 

However, did this today and afterwards I realised I'd left out TW.... After all the billions of discussions here it's just dawning on me we have another massive side in SL... Feels odd that's its finally actually happened and there is a sixth big side financially and attendance wise... Maybe trophy wise soon

Just replacing Bradford really. I'd also say that including Hull in that top tier is exceptionally generous. won a couple of cups, while not threatening the real comp for well over a decade.

12 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think TW need to establish themselves first before they're regarded as a Big RL club when you say Big club ,what context is it meant ? Without a doubt Wigan are the most famous RL club closely followed by St Helen's because when people say Leeds people think of the football club. However even if Leeds got relegated they would still be a top 5 club . I think Bradford could still be a top 5 club they've kept their base of fans they need a ground of their own which is unfortunately is just a dream . Large city,  large population ,already reasonable fanbase ,but no up to scratch stadium .

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

6 hours ago, Chamey said:

Just replacing Bradford really. I'd also say that including Hull in that top tier is exceptionally generous. won a couple of cups, while not threatening the real comp for well over a decade.

Including size / finance / support / reach in my thinking

Would be good for Bulls to get back

2 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Being realistic, could the Bulls really get back to where they were nearly two decades ago when they averaged 15k and could pull in over 23k on occasion. 

The world has moved on. Their fan base has aged. Goodwill has been lost. 

It would be tough. 

disagree.  if they had the right owner they would be fine.  in the 60s? they went broke, crowds were under 1000.  they bounced back.  

its just been gross mismanagement by various owners.  ten years ago their fans on here were dead set against a move to valley parade.  in hindsight that wouldve been a much better option.

if they could clone david argyle they would be a super league club in no time.  maybe the RFL should allow owners to have multiple clubs and approach him

6 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Being realistic, could the Bulls really get back to where they were nearly two decades ago when they averaged 15k and could pull in over 23k on occasion. 

It would be tough. 

Doubtful as to achieve those numbers they were heamoraging cash 

10 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

It would be tough. 

Maybe

Such a shame they didn't let Koukash's missus have a go with a few of his millions

Archived