Friday Nights - A complaint and suggestion.

HawkMan

Why oh why do we have multiple games on Friday competing with the televised match. It seems madness, straight away cutting the potential tv audience. Do Sky have a say in this? Could they stop it? Even in EPL footy they don't do that, unless it's unavoidable. Do Sky care about protecting their investment in RL ?

A suggestion - if we have to have three or four games on Friday, lets have Sky doing a " soccer Saturday" with RL. Three or four RL guys watching tv screens reporting on the action. Why such a format should work I don't know, but it certainly does in football, so.much so that BT and the beeb have copied it.

Who would our guys be? Baz and Tel for a start, get them out of the commentary box, and if the tv game is a dud then watching updates from other games delivered by enthusiastic RL legends would be entertaining I'm sure.

Soccer Saturday doesn't clash with a live game on Sky though.

If the worry is that games being played at the same time as a live game negatively effects both the attendances and the viewing figures, surely a Soccer Saturday equivalent will perpetuate this.

I agree it may work when there is no live game being shown though. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Why oh why do we have multiple games on Friday competing with the televised match. It seems madness, straight away cutting the potential tv audience. Do Sky have a say in this? Could they stop it? Even in EPL footy they don't do that, unless it's unavoidable. Do Sky care about protecting their investment in RL ?

A suggestion - if we have to have three or four games on Friday, lets have Sky doing a " soccer Saturday" with RL. Three or four RL guys watching tv screens reporting on the action. Why such a format should work I don't know, but it certainly does in football, so.much so that BT and the beeb have copied it.

Who would our guys be? Baz and Tel for a start, get them out of the commentary box, and if the tv game is a dud then watching updates from other games delivered by enthusiastic RL legends would be entertaining I'm sure.

Agreed, cheap TV and fills a channel for 2 or 3 hours.

It's just that Sky seem to have cooled on RL in recent seasons - no magazine show, SL superman etc etc

I don't think Sky care about the TV audience. All potential viewers have already paid in advance so if they choose not to watch and go to another live game instead it's their loss, what do Sky care?

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

Corporate. And also probably a view that clashing with football on the weekend would be even worse. 

In which case, and I actually agree with you, then the claims that "X" don't bring any away fans from owners should cease

3 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I don't think Sky care about the TV audience. All potential viewers have already paid in advance so if they choose not to watch and go to another live game instead it's their loss, what do Sky care?

Because companies that advertise pay for viewers being exposed to their products. 

3 hours ago, LeeF said:

The real question us why do clubs arrange home games that clash with the live ones on Sky?

It must impact on their attendances especially the away support!

It will be interesting to see how Amazon showing all prem games today affects attendances across the board, in all divisions. I’d probably have gone to Villa park under normal circumstances today but couldn’t be bothered as I could get a free amazon trial month and watch it at home with my kids and a beer. 

10 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

I think Sky care massively about TV audiences.

Their income is based on subscriptions and advertising, both of which are intrinsically linked to the number of people watching each programme. 

On a more fundamental level, there isn't a successful company in the world that doesn't care how many people consume their products. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived