What Does Your Standard Matchday Look Like

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Copa said:

The worst used to be family members of one of the players. The same family would try to take our seats every match. They’d whinge at us, pushed one of us once and cause a hassle every single match. Everyone around us was very happy when he was recruited by a northern hemisphere team.

And they get freebies anyway.   Security shouldve stopped that 

Especially bad if your taking kids to games.  

We travel about 30 minutes from Swansea to Steboneath..Llanelli to watch West Wales Raiders. We sit in an excellent stand where we have a great view of the play.

My great pleasure is to meet up with two long term Rugby League fans Jill and Keith. Their friendship and others is important to me.

12 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Interesting. For those that have beers at the pub before the game, what would you want from your club to entice you to get to the ground early for your pre match beers?

It would need to be cheaper. I haven't had anything alcoholic at KCOM for years but even back then a 330ml bottle of Kingstone press cider (other ciders are available) was £4.50 if I remember rightly so god knows what it is now. Exact same bottle in tesco just down the road was £1. I get a bottle of water before the game and that is £2.20, again, same bottle in tesco is 50p!

4 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It would need to be cheaper. I haven't had anything alcoholic at KCOM for years but even back then a 330ml bottle of Kingstone press cider (other ciders are available) was £4.50 if I remember rightly so god knows what it is now. Exact same bottle in tesco just down the road was £1. I get a bottle of water before the game and that is £2.20, again, same bottle in tesco is 50p!

A very RL comment - No wonder big buisness wont touch RL.

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just sensible. Why would I get a pint in the ground for a fiver when I walk past a pub two minutes from the ground and get one for £3? 

Fair point, but when you started babbling on about Tesco you reverted to type.

You may as well as said - why pay to go to a match when you can sit at home in a dark room to save money.....

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just sensible. Why would I get a pint in the ground for a fiver when I walk past a pub two minutes from the ground and get one for £3? 

Perhaps for the same reason you buy a programme, merchandise, golden gambles etc etc - to help your club make a profit and continue in business ??

I know what you are saying but anything you spend at your club goes to the club rather than to a bewery chain. A £5 pint should be seen as an investment in new players  (or at worst a way of keeping the tax man from the door)

17 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

In my younger years the old bottle of coke which is really half coke half tesco vodka used to work well... 

47 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Perhaps for the same reason you buy a programme, merchandise, golden gambles etc etc - to help your club make a profit and continue in business ??

I know what you are saying but anything you spend at your club goes to the club rather than to a bewery chain. A £5 pint should be seen as an investment in new players  (or at worst a way of keeping the tax man from the door)

Money spent on food and drink at kcom doesn't go to Hull FC, it goes to the stadium management company which is run by the owner of the football club and is an arm of the council. 

54 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

You may as well as said - why pay to go to a match when you can sit at home in a dark room to save money.....

That's not the same thing though is it, I mentioned the price of the exact same product in tesco as a comparison. Sitting in a dark room is not the same as watching the game is it? 

If the stadium management company want to compete with surrounding businesses in selling drink then they need to look at the prices and service pubs and supermarkets are offering. It's a basic and effective business model to undercut the pricing of rivals. Now I know the stadium can't compete with supermarkets due to the volume in which the latter buys in the product but I'm sure they could compete with the pubs.

What is one of the most successful business models in the world at the moment? The budget model. Discount supermarkets are growing massively at the moment, budget airlines dominate the continental market to name just two examples. What do they have in common? Sell products cheaper and thus in higher volume, that the competitor. These companies end up making the same profits as the competitor and by selling more of the product the company gets more exposure to a larger audience. Quite simple really. Sell 2 pints at £5 to two people for and receive £10 or offer a more enticing price of say £4 and sell 3 pints to 3 people and make £12. You've made more money and exposed your offer/product to more people. Nice bit of Keynesism for you there. 

I merely mentioned the supermarket to give an idea of how much the same product can cost which also gives an idea of the quality of the product. Why buy a bottle of cheap cider in the ground for twice as much as a pint of better quality cider is in the pub two minutes down the road? 

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Lol he just said the beer is a rip off.  Calm down lol

3 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Lol he just said the beer is a rip off.  Calm down lol

Lol - are you a 12 year old girl??

Well I pay for drink in the ground as my club gets the money so rather pay a few ££ more than go to a supermarket and drink in a carpark - nice drink in the ground having a chat about the match with your Marras- best bit about match day.

15 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That's not the same thing though is it, I mentioned the price of the exact same product in tesco as a comparison. Sitting in a dark room is not the same as watching the game is it? 

If the stadium management company want to compete with surrounding businesses in selling drink then they need to look at the prices and service pubs and supermarkets are offering. It's a basic and effective business model to undercut the pricing of rivals. Now I know the stadium can't compete with supermarkets due to the volume in which the latter buys in the product but I'm sure they could compete with the pubs.

What is one of the most successful business models in the world at the moment? The budget model. Discount supermarkets are growing massively at the moment, budget airlines dominate the continental market to name just two examples. What do they have in common? Sell products cheaper and thus in higher volume, that the competitor. These companies end up making the same profits as the competitor and by selling more of the product the company gets more exposure to a larger audience. Quite simple really. Sell 2 pints at £5 to two people for and receive £10 or offer a more enticing price of say £4 and sell 3 pints to 3 people and make £12. You've made more money and exposed your offer/product to more people. Nice bit of Keynesism for you there. 

I merely mentioned the supermarket to give an idea of how much the same product can cost which also gives an idea of the quality of the product. Why buy a bottle of cheap cider in the ground for twice as much as a pint of better quality cider is in the pub two minutes down the road? 

Never go to a match in London or Sydney mate and go for a drink - you will keel over.......??

6 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Lol - are you a 12 year old girl??

Well I pay for drink in the ground as my club gets the money so rather pay a few ££ more than go to a supermarket and drink in a carpark - nice drink in the ground having a chat about the match with your Marras- best bit about match day.

Good for you.

Hull fC dont own their own stadium though 

So the money will just go to the management company lol 

I think most clubs are a bit guilty of falling behind the times for match day experiences.

The game itself is of course the main event, but there will be a whole host of alternate interests that could be very easily tapped into to offer an increased match day experience.

Not all clubs have enough facilities to conduct the following, but for example, I always thought the Sharks could have increased the coffers with a simple match day structure that includes:

- Pre match old boys panel discussion

- Local teen band

- Cinema style replay of a famous victory against game day opponents

- Craft beer stalls

- International food stalls, themed round by round

- Curtain raiser (U/20s, Women’s, local A-Grade or local U/18s)

All of the above could be added at very minor cost, yet add considerable value to the diverse range of interests of the spectators getting them in the doors earlier.

Thats what a great match day looks like to me, with a win at the end of course ?

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I think most clubs are a bit guilty of falling behind the times for match day experiences.

The game itself is of course the main event, but there will be a whole host of alternate interests that could be very easily tapped into to offer an increased match day experience.

Not all clubs have enough facilities to conduct the following, but for example, I always thought the Sharks could have increased the coffers with a simple match day structure that includes:

- Pre match old boys panel discussion

- Local teen band

- Cinema style replay of a famous victory against game day opponents

- Craft beer stalls

- International food stalls, themed round by round

- Curtain raiser (U/20s, Women’s, local A-Grade or local U/18s)

All of the above could be added at very minor cost, yet add considerable value to the diverse range of interests of the spectators getting them in the doors earlier.

Thats what a great match day looks like to me, with a win at the end of course ?

Hot cheerleaders doesn't hurt.  Sharks are always top of the nrl for that.

Yeh clubs are lazy.  The game is so good we don't need to market It a lot 

34 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Hot cheerleaders doesn't hurt.  Sharks are always top of the nrl for that.

Yeh clubs are lazy.  The game is so good we don't need to market It a lot 

Well when crowds are humming along at 15k avg or less and a quote of $300k losses per game for the Dragons on 2016 match day’s at Kogarah, I don’t think clubs can afford to be lazy.

43 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Well when crowds are humming along at 15k avg or less and a quote of $300k losses per game for the Dragons on 2016 match day’s at Kogarah, I don’t think clubs can afford to be lazy.

15000 attendance and $300k losses per game suggests they're all getting in for free and being given $20 each for the unconvenience 

Archived