Super League expecting to field investment offers in February

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

This is only a personal opinion.

My feeling is that we will certainly semi professionally lose a huge number of clubs outside Super League at the end of 2021.Some will die,others will probably go to the amateur ranks.

I think those who do survive in whatever capacity be it rebranded names or yes even merged ones will be part of a Super League 1 division which I think they will name it something like Championship Rugby League.And I predict 10 clubsin each division.

Re name it all you want , will it and the clubs in it prosper or stagnate ?

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Re name it all you want , will it and the clubs in it prosper or stagnate ?

My prediction is that there may be a bit of both.I think there will be relegation/promotion between the 2 divisions.

I think that the clubs that finish bottom in the second tier will retain their senior RL status though.

5 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

My prediction is that there may be a bit of both.I think there will be relegation/promotion between the 2 divisions.

I think that the clubs that finish bottom in the second tier will retain their senior RL status though.

A bit of both ? , As in prosperity for who , and stagnation for who ?

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This is not money for nothing. It’s money now, but SL will be repaying it forever (% of tv revenue) it’s a terrible idea.

It’s like selling a house you own and renting it back indefinitely. In the long run you will be worse off.

If any non SL club gets into SL in the future, they will be paying for this (through lower tv money as private equity takes part of tv income) despite getting nothing from it. Ambitious Championship and League One clubs stand to lose the most from a deal like this.

House prices go up. Anyone who mortgaged themselves to the hilt 20 years ago to buy a house is sitting on huge gains beyond what they borrowed. In fact that's the whole principle of businesses borrowing to invest. It boosts the value of the business. 

The same applies to RL (as seen by F1, and no doubt RU) How often on here have we gone round in circles saying 'if only we had the money to do x, it would kick the game on to another level' ? 

Well here it is. Here's the chance to get the investment that the game can't generate itself which, if we don't waste it, can pay back over and above. Increased revenues, with CVC getting a cut. 

They must see some potential in RL to want to invest. Shame many of our fans don't. 

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

House prices go up. Anyone who mortgaged themselves to the hilt 20 years ago to buy a house is sitting on huge gains beyond what they borrowed. In fact that's the whole principle of businesses borrowing to invest. It boosts the value of the business. 

The same applies to RL (as seen by F1, and no doubt RU) How often on here have we gone round in circles saying 'if only we had the money to do x, it would kick the game on to another level' ? 

Well here it is. Here's the chance to get the investment that the game can't generate itself which, if we don't waste it, can pay back over and above. Increased revenues, with CVC getting a cut. 

They must see some potential in RL to want to invest. Shame many of our fans don't. 

its will come very cheap with potential for a lot of upside in revenue if it was marketed properly.  its actually a better bet for them than union imo.

12 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Rothschild has been appointed broker. Structure changes afoot for 2022. 

Yes, most likely. But remember the RU deal didn't hand control of structure over to CVC, and the RFU remains in ultimate control. SL/RFL needs to make sure the same safeguards are in place. Of course, they may want to make radical changes themselves and then blame it on CVC... 

4 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

its will come very cheap with potential for a lot of upside in revenue if it was marketed properly.  its actually a better bet for them than union imo.

I agree. Union has topped out in my view - a home world cup in 2015 followed by England making the final in 2019 has barely moved the dial domestically. We, however, have barely scratched the surface IMO. 

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

If the last paragraph of the article is anything to go by, it doesn't sound like the Super League clubs would be getting much of the money anyway.

"League Express also understands that any investment in Super League, regardless of the amount, will not be simply given to the clubs to reduce their own indebtedness. Rather it will be invested to broaden the appeal of the game to a wider audience while also boosting participation."

That suggests to me that it would be invested more in the grassroots which is certainly a good thing. Definitely better than just paying off a club's debts and the money never seen again while new debts just start accumulating.

Now this paragraph of the article I didn't understand. Superleague IS the Superleague clubs. The RFL, Elstone or any other higher authority won't have any say in where this money goes. The clubs might be enlightened and mutually agree some rules for spending the money. But it will be up to them and no other. 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

If I were a fan of a lower league side, rather than predicting impending doom, I’d be asking what The RFL are doing to protect their clubs? 

All they should be asking is will SL remain part of the RFL, and will P&R be maintained.

Given all the battles last year over the so-called 'breakaway' still ended up with P&R and RFL oversight, then I expect that to be maintained. And that's all the Ch and L1 clubs can really ask for. 

All the rest is just business and running a good club, regardless of CVC or anything else. 

21 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I predict prosperity for the top placed clubs in the top division and probably stagnation for the bottom clubs in the second tier

So prosperity for the top of the Championship frozen out of SL ?

29 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I agree. Union has topped out in my view - a home world cup in 2015 followed by England making the final in 2019 has barely moved the dial domestically. We, however, have barely scratched the surface IMO. 

league has a long way to go but the international scene is starting to look decent vs a joke 20 years ago.

its amazing how one player defecting from new zealand has made tonga into a powerhouse.

29 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

All they should be asking is will SL remain part of the RFL, and will P&R be maintained.

Given all the battles last year over the so-called 'breakaway' still ended up with P&R and RFL oversight, then I expect that to be maintained. And that's all the Ch and L1 clubs can really ask for. 

All the rest is just business and running a good club, regardless of CVC or anything else. 

The Championship and L1 should be looking after their own house instead of demanding scraps from the Super League. 

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The Championship and L1 should be looking after their own house instead of demanding scraps from the Super League. 

We've moved beyond that debate. Last year, even the Superleague clubs recognised that there was value in staying part of the larger RFL structure and providing support - both financial and via P&R - to the lower tiers.

If they saw no benefit then they would have just walked away. They didn't. They just didn't want the tail to wag the dog and... er... the tail to eat more than its fair share of food. So there was a bit of a stand off, but a deal was done, agreed by all sides, on how to distribute future revenues.

Now we move forward with the bit we should have been focussing on all along: how to raise those revenues in the first place. And yes, for Ch and L1 clubs that means with the TV share already sorted, they need to focus on what they can generate themselves as clubs. 

1 minute ago, del capo said:

Same Bankers and same capital equity partners as RU.

Ultimate goal ?

I actually think that's a fair question to ask. 

But any analysis of the situation would tell a PE investor that a "merger" of some sorts was impossible, unnecessary and unproductive. 

So the question is more, does having an independent investor in all camps open the way to other sorts of cooperation that the sports themselves couldn't countenance? 

Does RU prem + SL + Pro14 = Rugby Channel? 

Archived