Hull FC heading for membership record

On 30/12/2019 at 10:48, Eddie said:

By membership do they mean season tickets?

Terminology is important with this type of thing.  One of our recent owners tried this trick as there's a potential VAT saving if you're selling a 'membership' as opposed to 'tickets'.  ie the club can boost it's earnings in this area by 20% if it doesn't have to pass on the VAT element.  However, you can't just call 'tickets' 'memberships' and pocket the cash (like one of our previous 'fit and proper' owners decided) as there is an important caveat that discerns the two - that being voting rights.

So HFC fans... does this purchase come with any voting rights?

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Konkrete said:

Terminology is important with this type of thing.  One of our recent owners tried this trick as there's a potential VAT saving if you're selling a 'membership' as opposed to 'tickets'.  ie the club can boost it's earnings in this area by 20% if it doesn't have to pass on the VAT element.  However, you can't just call 'tickets' 'memberships' and pocket the cash (like one of our previous 'fit and proper' owners decided) as there is an important caveat that discerns the two - that being voting rights.

So HFC fans... does this purchase come with any voting rights?

Unsure, but this loophole appears is still being exploited here:

BRADFORD BULLS MEMBERSHIP

Bradford Bulls are pleased to announce the launch of the all-new Exclusive Membership Program. This scheme aims to give back to the loyal Bradford Bulls followers while enabling the club to keep in contact with the fans on a regular basis. The Membership is completely free of charge for regular members with upgrades available for commercial packages and the Season Ticket.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Football meanwhile has spread to these towns and they are now football towns even if they have no club of a decent size. It's a lesson RL has never learned Leeds utd can have big support in Wakefield, York and North Yorks and it is expected to do so. People from St Helens will support Liverpool or Everton, people in Warrington will go to manchester to see City or Utd. 

Yet it would be crazy(according to some) to expect people from towns in wakefield to go watch Wakefield, people will tell you that RL in Leigh will collapse if all they have is a semi-pro team and N SL team in Wigan, and whilst 14miles is nothing for the thousands of reds in St Helen's it's a massive insurmountable barrier the other way

The problem with your analogy there is that those people go to watch Leeds Utd because their town has never had a team to call their own so naturally gravitate towards the nearest big team. They can't miss what they've never had.

If, using your example, Leigh dropped to a level equivalent to non-league football, it would take generations before Wigan saw any benefit of that, in much the same way that Bury's demise hasn't seen my club Bolton suddenly recruit a couple of thousand extra season ticket holders with a BL9 postcode.

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The problem with your analogy there is that those people go to watch Leeds Utd because their town has never had a team to call their own so naturally gravitate towards the nearest big team. They can't miss what they've never had.

If, using your example, Leigh dropped to a level equivalent to non-league football, it would take generations before Wigan saw any benefit of that, in much the same way that Bury's demise hasn't seen my club Bolton suddenly recruit a couple of thousand extra season ticket holders with a BL9 postcode.

Spot on Matt , I'll happily go and watch Wigan 

Athletic , but no chance of ever going to watch other lot unless as an away fan 

16 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Spot on Matt , I'll happily go and watch Wigan 

Athletic , but no chance of ever going to watch other lot unless as an away fan 

I agree. If Halifax folded I wouldn't become a Bulls or Huddersfield fan I'd just watch amateur RL and hope they were reincarnated at some point.

I do think though that if that did happen the other local professional clubs could target local schools and clubs in Halifax to recruit junior fans who maybe wouldn't have the option to be Halifax supporters

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Unsure, but this loophole appears is still being exploited here:

BRADFORD BULLS MEMBERSHIP

Bradford Bulls are pleased to announce the launch of the all-new Exclusive Membership Program. This scheme aims to give back to the loyal Bradford Bulls followers while enabling the club to keep in contact with the fans on a regular basis. The Membership is completely free of charge for regular members with upgrades available for commercial packages and the Season Ticket.

It’s free. Stop being silly. 

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

49 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But they didnt always have that as leeds utd, or man utd or liverpool. Football has successfully grown clubs to be larger than the city or town the club is named after. These names are less places and more brands.

My point wasnt really that Leigh's demise should strengthen Wigan in RL. More that whilst LUFC can spread to Wakefield or York. It's apparently unthinkable for Wigan RL to spread to all of Wigan. 

There are tonnes of people around RL clubs that we arent engaging because we have a very parochial outlook. You support the team in your parish and that's it. Ignoring the fact that most places dont have big sports teams of any sort. 

It's not necessarily a question of Wigan taking Leigh fans or Wakefield taking castleford fans. It's why arent they spreading to Selby or Barnsely or Manchester, or Bolton.

If I say we do have teams in big cities we have leeds, liverpool, manchester, people say I'm wrong. St Helen's cant be Liverpool, Wigan cant be manchester, Salford cant be Manchester. Football proves that not true

Because ST Helens isn't in Liverpool , and nobody in Liverpool is interested in RL , similarily Wigan/Manchester 

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

So why is st Helen's decked out in liverpool fc flags?

And nobody is interested in RL in liverpool because there is no way to be so. As you have just said RL isnt for them. Only the people in the parishes that have RL clubs.

It's this crazy mindset sat that people travelling to liverpool for football is easy but the same road going the other way is akin to the trials of sisyphus.

There is nothing intrinsic to people in certain areas that means they are RL fans. People who would RL fans in liverpool arent for one reason and one reason only. We haven't reached out to them

This is completely correct.  If we do get this "investment" money I'd love to see us properly target middle class towns (Ilkley/Harrogate etc.) and soccer towns (Liverpool, Blackburn, Barnsley, Bolton)  with some grassroots activity and live matches.  We've had a bit of success expanding to new areas of the country but very little expanding to the surely much lower hanging fruit nearby.  Especially with the amount of disaffected soccer fans their must be in parts of Lancashire in particular.

16 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

So why is st Helen's decked out in liverpool fc flags?

And nobody is interested in RL in liverpool because there is no way to be so. As you have just said RL isnt for them. Only the people in the parishes that have RL clubs.

It's this crazy mindset sat that people travelling to liverpool for football is easy but the same road going the other way is akin to the trials of sisyphus.

There is nothing intrinsic to people in certain areas that means they are RL fans. People who would RL fans in liverpool arent for one reason and one reason only. We haven't reached out to them

Have you ever heard the saying 

" You can lead a horse to water " ?

11 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

This is completely correct.  If we do get this "investment" money I'd love to see us properly target middle class towns (Ilkley/Harrogate etc.) and soccer towns (Liverpool, Blackburn, Barnsley, Bolton)  with some grassroots activity and live matches.  We've had a bit of success expanding to new areas of the country but very little expanding to the surely much lower hanging fruit nearby.  Especially with the amount of disaffected soccer fans their must be in parts of Lancashire in particular.

' soccer fans ' , the clue is in the words 

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Its such a strange outlook that the people of liverpool are some homogenous blob of RL antipathy.

It's so odd that people really believe there is something, that for some reason, means that only certain people in incredibly specific areas can be RL fans. 

Nobody is suggesting there is nobody in Liverpool who goes watching Saints ? , I'm sure there are , the question is are there loads of people in Liverpool who don't go watching Saints/Widnes and Wigan currently who would go if any of those clubs rebranded as Liverpool or a new club called Liverpool started up in Liverpool 

Or if there are a sizeable number of people in the Greater Liverpool area outside of those current clubs towns who would go to watch a ' Liverpool ' club but won't watch one of the current ones ?

That is the question , not forgetting also if you rebranded would you actually lose some of your existing fans ?

11 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Well I was a "soccer fan" before I discovered RL at 16

You are allowed to be both , but there are many more who consider themselves sports fans , be that football,Rugby,Darts ,Cricket but still never actually attend any of them 

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Nobody is suggesting there is nobody in Liverpool who goes watching Saints ? , I'm sure there are , the question is are there loads of people in Liverpool who don't go watching Saints/Widnes and Wigan currently who would go if any of those clubs rebranded as Liverpool or a new club called Liverpool started up in Liverpool 

Or if there are a sizeable number of people in the Greater Liverpool area outside of those current clubs towns who would go to watch a ' Liverpool ' club but won't watch one of the current ones ?

That is the question , not forgetting also if you rebranded would you actually lose some of your existing fans ?

There are a handful of Saints fans in Liverpool, but very few. And I very much doubt that many people would start going, or even show an iota of interest if Saints or Widnes rebranded themselves as Liverpool. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

There are a handful of Saints fans in Liverpool, but very few. And I very much doubt that many people would start going, or even show an iota of interest if Saints or Widnes rebranded themselves as Liverpool. 

They are a breed apart 

Just now, scotchy1 said:

I haven't said they should rebrand as liverpool. They already are liverpool.

What they need to do is grow their reach in to liverpool (and not just liverpool) and get out of the mindset that st Helens RLFC is for the people of St Helens.

There are people I know and have met through work that live in Leigh,Wigan,Preston and Bolton who attend Saints matches , don't recall any in Liverpool despite it being my main customer base for over a decade 

I haven't said they should rebrand as liverpool. They already are liverpool.

What they need to do is grow their reach in to liverpool (and not just liverpool) and get out of the mindset that st Helens RLFC is for the people of St Helens.

What do you mean they already are Liverpool?

Anyway, how do you suggest Saints grow their reach in Liverpool? The plan will need to have low cost. 

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Except it isnt is it. Liverpool is an incredibly varied city full of people of all different types. 

Have you ever lived there? Scousers are more homogenous in outlook than most places, and are also extremely parochial. 

There a huge numbers of things they can do. 

Reaching out is the first step. Positioning themselves as the club for that area.

You should write to Saints and offer to do it for them as you obviously have some good ideas. I’m being serious btw. 

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I have a job

So? Don’t you have any spare time at all? Even if you just send them your ideas about how to do something everyone else has failed to do in the last 125 years I’m sure they’d be grateful. 

Archived