Australian bushfires

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw some blue sky for about half an hour today  - first time in a month. It was 43.6 here (or 43.8? can't remember)

I'm surprised the death toll is so low. Although most of the big fires are in National Parks with just the occasional house. Cobargo - pop.700 - burnt down because they ran out of water.

3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I saw some blue sky for about half an hour today  - first time in a month. It was 43.6 here (or 43.8? can't remember)

I'm surprised the death toll is so low. Although most of the big fires are in National Parks with just the occasional house. Cobargo - pop.700 - burnt down because they ran out of water.

I thought that they were supposed to have a proactive cleaning out of dead bush in forested areas to keep the impact/spread down?

So much for that highly vaunted government program.

16 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I thought that they were supposed to have a proactive cleaning out of dead bush in forested areas to keep the impact/spread down?

So much for that highly vaunted government program.

Dunno think they stopped it because of the greenies saying they didn't like it 

Not sure though 

They fell short of their targets over the last couple of years because of the lack of suitable opportunities. Ideally you want periods where wind directions are stable, so they blow the fire towards natural barriers like cleared land, or times when there a very high probability of rain in the next 24-48 hours, so you can let it burn until the rain puts it out. Think of the NRL in 2019: how many games were played in heavy rain? 3? maybe 4? in six months.

We are in the grip of the worst drought in 120 years and we are also at the conjunction of several other cyclical weather phenomena - the La Nina/El Nino cycle, the Indian Ocean Dipole, the Antarctic Polar Vortex cycle - which rarely all coincide to this degree. Even Global Warming, on its own, can't cause temperature rises of 1° per year.

So, in short, they didn't stop. They just didn't get as much done as they'd hoped. Also it had nothing to do with the Greens. The Liberal/National coalition currently holds majorities in both Houses of NSW Parliament so the Greens couldn't even pass a kidney stone if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

I want to play this clip every time some precious little f***tard complains about being "harassed" on twitter.

That is unbelievable and the sheer scale is unprecedented and difficult to comprehend. Such courageous actions by the firefighters and all the people involved in fighting these fires under impossible circumstances.

My thoughts are with everyone that is affected by this and in particular anyone from this forum.

Current forecast is for them to get worse at the weekend.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It's not hard to hazard a guess who's lining Morrison's pocket's (rhymes with spine) That he's mates with the big orange baby figures, peas in a pod.

There's a good article in the Guardian online by a Climate Scientist who's on holiday with his family in Aus at present.

Peter Garrett for P.M any one?

A thread on the ‘it’s the greens fault’ -

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Today might be the end of the worst patch. The prediction for later this afternoon/evening: "Winds shifting cool and gusty S/SE 35 to 50 km/h late evening or at night." The important bit is the S/SE. This should blow most of the fires back into already burnt-out areas. Even now at lunch time I can see some blue sky outside and you can tell the difference between clouds and smoke. For the last month the haze has been so bad you couldn't see clouds.

There's some variation in the different weather sites but it's already hit 44.8 at my place and one site has Penrith at 47.7 now.

On 01/01/2020 at 16:56, aj1908 said:

Dunno think they stopped it because of the greenies saying they didn't like it 

Not sure though 

The Australian Greens are very pro burning off excess fuel in forests. https://greens.org.au/bushfires

According to the fire chiefs and other experts in NSW the window of opportunity to safely back burn has decreased. That plus our huge forests and reliance on volunteers has shafted us.

Just a few years ago the Greens were advocating for more paid firefighters, more firefighting aircraft and better workplace protection for volunteer firefighters in conjunction with better back burning processes.

The current abuse of the Greens is for political purposes. 

My concern is the PM will use some type of populist junk science to find a dramatic solution.... a solution that will eventually make things worse in the end and continue to drag a once proud and sound political party into a party of ignorance.

Canberra has just reached the hottest temperature it has ever recorded... currently pushing 43 degrees.. may get hotter.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6566060/canberra-experiences-hottest-temperature-on-record/

”Canberra did not record a day above 40 degrees for 25 years between 1973 and 1998, and only nine days saw temperatures above 40 between 1913 and 2006.

There have now been 18 days above 40 degrees since 2007, after the city experienced its first December day above 40 degrees on December 21.”

Archived