Australian bushfires

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Your cars arent all electric are they ?

So Australia gets penalised because of its exports and small population ?

Until.the big polluters change and they won't because they can't afford it wed be stupid to follow

We can't afford it either. 

Well.adapt to rising temps.  there's too much doomsday scenarios out there which i dont buy

If the Australia  people.vote in a govt that wants to do this that's fine too I guess 

Look at tesla.  That's the future of solving the problem.  Companies like that 

Coal power plants are much cleaner than the.past 

Evolution not revolution 

Australia will be penalised either through our own inability to adapt to a changing energy world or because other countries, or just their consumers, get fed up with us.

It doesn’t matter if we think it’s unfair, unjust, stupid or ridiculous, change will be forced upon us from the outside if we don’t think smarter about our future.

There’s nothing we can do to stop this. Many in the wider world see us as a massive player in global pollution in a similar way to how they view Saudi Arabia’s role.

We need to start preparing regional Australia now or in 20 years they’ll pay for it.

It’s unlikely any new coal power plants will be built in Australia without tax payers providing billions for it. Industry will not invest in it either as the upfront costs to build a new coal power station in a place like Australia blow budgets out of the water compared to even unsubsidised renewable energy. 

And while I’m no expert, I think that if we don’t move to centralised renewable energy sources the decentralised adoption of renewable energy sources will continue its growth, and in a worse case scenario, result in fewer people paying for maintenance of grid infrastructure... but this is just my uneducated speculation.

Just now, Copa said:

Australia will be penalised either through our own inability to adapt to a changing energy world or because other countries, or just their consumers, get fed up with us.

It doesn’t matter if we think it’s unfair, unjust, stupid or ridiculous, change will be forced upon us from the outside if we don’t think smarter about our future.

There’s nothing we can do to stop this. Many in the wider world see us as a massive player in global pollution in a similar way to how they view Saudi Arabia’s role.

We need to start preparing regional Australia now or in 20 years they’ll pay for it.

It’s unlikely any new coal power plants will be built in Australia without tax payers providing billions for it. Industry will not invest in it either as the upfront costs to build a new coal power station in a place like Australia blow budgets out of the water compared to even unsubsidised renewable energy. 

And while I’m no expert, I think that if we don’t move to centralised renewable energy sources the decentralised adoption of renewable energy sources will continue its growth, and in a worse case scenario, result in fewer people paying for maintenance of grid infrastructure... but this is just my uneducated speculation.

Nobody is going to stop buying non coal exports bc we export coal lol 

If that's true then all those cheap Chinese exports won't be bought by anyone 

Oil probably has 50 years left.  Coal.has hundreds of years and as long as it's far cheaper than other sources it's going to get used.

I've read about carbon trading schemes etc.  

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

A composite visualisation of the areas and size affected so far:

That's beyond depressing.

I understand that it's a "visualisation" whatever that means, but it takes a large degree of artistic licence. I don't recall the seemingly-huge bushfire in the Great Victoria Desert. Was it here?:

WEE_2014-05-17_LIF_032_31587732_I1.JPG

or here?

40124_0__TN1000x800.jpg?gid=133006

or maybe it was here?

GVD3.JPG

2 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I understand that it's a "visualisation" whatever that means, but it takes a large degree of artistic licence. I don't recall the seemingly-huge bushfire in the Great Victoria Desert. Was it here?:

WEE_2014-05-17_LIF_032_31587732_I1.JPG

or here?

40124_0__TN1000x800.jpg?gid=133006

or maybe it was here?

GVD3.JPG

It's a composite of areas where there have been fires in the last month. Reading through the comments on it, it shows the size and extent of fires in the areas marked. There were enough of the folk I trust sharing this that I post it as that with the caveat of it being a composite visualisation.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

It's a composite of areas where there have been fires in the last month. Reading through the comments on it, it shows the size and extent of fires in the areas marked. There were enough of the folk I trust sharing this that I post it as that with the caveat of it being a composite visualisation.

I've seen worse. Here's another potentially misleading article from the ABC. This map represents Forest Fire Danger Index (FFDI). "The FFDI takes into account recent rainfall, a drought index, relative humidity, air temperature and wind speed to give a value that reflects how dangerous a fire is expected to be once it gets going."

For most of the areas marked as "Highest on Record," the correct fire danger is zero. The area shown includes 5 or 6 of Australia's main deserts.

image.png.0676df9146dd54f53a546a5358a79c1c.png

That map includes the Tanami Desert, about the size of Italy, as Highest on Record. Really? What would a forest fire look like in the Tanami Desert?

image.png.24f18f330a7387733b83320bf809b2b2.png

It also includes the Gibson Desert which is more than twice the size of Ireland.

image.png.697e376bb67765d67f99dc9b607e35e3.png

I can't stand "journalists" or politicians sensationalising the already-bad. A lot of the coverage and opinions in the media this season has been dire. It is sad that so few Australians these days have been outside Sydney and Melbourne. Anyone who has ever walked around the Wollemi Range or Blue Mountains or the South Coast forests knows exactly why they can't be put out, regardless of which Party happens to be in office

So we've reached the perversely "good" point in NSW that the main fires have burnt so much that now all they can do is run into each other, and mainly in very low-population areas. The main Victorian fires are heading to flat open grazing country, up into Alpine regions with sparse tree coverage or into the southern end of NSW fires.

Only mild pollution in Canberra today. We’ve been told heavy smoke will roll in again tomorrow afternoon. Free masks are now being handed out in chemists to “vulnerable” groups.

A fire started in Namadgi NP but it has been contained. Namadgi and the Brindabellas next to Canberra have extensive tree coverage. If a fire takes control there it would be horrible.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-08/misleading-fire-maps-go-viral-during-australian-bushfire-crisis/11850948

And several widely shared maps that look to show blazes all over the country, including most of Queensland and the Northern Territory, have sometimes left locals puzzled when they spot these images on social media.

Archived