Australian bushfires

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/09/bushfires-crisis-more-than-75-of-australia-had-worst-weather-conditions-on-record-last-month

“Australia’s six hottest days on record were all in December 2019. The average maximum temperature across the continent was above 40C on 11 days in the month, smashing the previous annual record of seven, set in 2018. Only four days between 1910 and 2017 averaged more than 40C - two in 1972 and two in 2013.”

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you believe that anyone would deliberately srat a fire.? It seems New South Wales police reported on Jan. 6 that it has taken "legal action" against 183 people for bushfire-related offenses since Nov. 8. But that number includes 24 people charged with deliberately setting bushfires, 53 people cited for allegedly failing to comply with a total fire ban and 47 people cited for allegedly discarding a lighted cigarette or match on land. 

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Can you believe that anyone would deliberately srat a fire.? It seems New South Wales police reported on Jan. 6 that it has taken "legal action" against 183 people for bushfire-related offenses since Nov. 8. But that number includes 24 people charged with deliberately setting bushfires, 53 people cited for allegedly failing to comply with a total fire ban and 47 people cited for allegedly discarding a lighted cigarette or match on land. 

Crazy fools.

The ABC has researched the impact of arson on the current fire season and have found:

”Only about 1 per cent of the land burnt in NSW this bushfire season can be officially attributed to arson, and it is even less in Victoria, the ABC can reveal.”

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-11/australias-fires-reveal-arson-not-a-major-cause/11855022?pfmredir=sm

It's finally raining in a lot of NSW and Victoria. Not heavy enough to put the fires out but heavy enough to slow the spread. More rain is forecast in the main bushfire areas through to Monday. It's very fortunate that the rainfall and fire maps overlap so well.

1428956664_BushFires17Jan20.png.aa470c6b1fcc3807a138b26a40d96ef7.png

1034294616_Rainfal17Jan20.png.96a14d89b159732e05f4c2f45592d67b.png

I'll be so glad when this is over. The level of hyperbole and misinformation from both sides has been annoying. The comments on YT videos about the fires have been so predictable:

• You're such heroes for saving all those animals 20%
  • The fires aren't because of climate change. They were all started by arsonists who were mainly environmental activists - 20%
  • Why are you shooting the camels? - 20%
  • ?@?#?$?%?$?#?@?#?$? Sco Mo - 20%
  • Climate change and/or God's vengeance will kill us all - 20%

Then, interspersed with the above, we have the comments from various geniuses around the World:

"How about simply cutting wide fire trails, even add a stream running for a few miles, pumped from the gushing deltas of most of our rivers, if you can pump oil and gas...water is only free....if you want it."

When the wind is blowing embers 10km ahead of the fire front, how wide would these fire trails need to be? "Add a stream... pumped from the gushing deltas.." Our second-biggest river, the Darling, has stopped flowing, forget about its gushing delta. And how wide would this stream need to be? Maybe as wide as the fire trails?

If I was an Australian, I would just tell the sky to rain

Yes, I wonder why nobody here thought of that.

The world is silent over brutality by Indian Modi on Indian Minorities & Kahmiri Muslims

Yes the only explanation I can think of is that this video is about people saving koalas from bushfires.

dig a deep line of hole in strait from few acre front for save animals life

But would a "few acre front" have stopped the 10 million hectares from burning? I'll have to get out my calculator and convert acres to hectares and ........

Only koalas?

OMG! What do you think the flying and running animals do when they see fires coming? This very video showed someone rescuing a possum too. This video is only a minute-and-a-half long. Do you really think this is the entire extent of animal rescue here?

australia must dig artificial ponds, where there can be a lot of water!!!

Quick! Ring head office! I think we've found our winner! Oh-oh, spoke too soon. Here comes a new contender:

At first...They are speaking japanese, aren't they?

Errmmm, no, dude, that's a piano.

Does the government leader regret or stand by his decision to ban pastor Steven Anderson from entering Australia and evangelizing by religious public speeches?

I don't know but as soon as I saw this video about burning koalas that was my first thought.

To quote John Oliver:  The YT comments section: the most cogent argument ever for not learning to read.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2020 at 07:43, aj1908 said:

and now parts of australia have problems with flooding

Also with the ash polluting waterways.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

44 minutes ago, Copa said:

Huge fire approaching Canberra right now.... I took this photo around 1 hour ago.

FB668E59-AC97-4B1F-A411-5B20E5C0BBAF.jpeg

According to the news this is suspected to have been started by a defence helicopter !!!!!!!!      https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-28/namadgi-orroral-valley-fire-to-canberras-south-worsening/11907438                                                                                                                " The Department of Defence has admitted the fire was likely caused by one of its own helicopters, after one of its landing lights created enough heat to set the grass on fire."   ?

4 minutes ago, yanto said:

According to the news this is suspected to have been started by a defence helicopter !!!!!!!!      https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-28/namadgi-orroral-valley-fire-to-canberras-south-worsening/11907438                                                                                                                " The Department of Defence has admitted the fire was likely caused by one of its own helicopters, after one of its landing lights created enough heat to set the grass on fire."   ?

Yes. They caused it. The grass is so hot and dry it burst into flames.

29 minutes ago, Copa said:

Yes. They caused it. The grass is so hot and dry it burst into flames.

Drove from the  Southern Highlands to Melbourne (and back) in October.

Even then you could see the changing landscape from lush green farm land to dry scorched  land  as you  drove down the M31.

Three month later without any rain I can imagine how dry it must be now even though this latest one seems to be to the south of Canberra.

The wifes cousin is a volunteer fire fighter in Seville west of Melbourne and he showed us around his local station.

Back then he was expecting to travel up to Northern NSW to help fight the fires that were raging .

One thing he did say was "that the world wont make it news until it becomes catastrophic" and he forcast that it was going to be a huge problem.

How right he was.

Just seen an update 21:01 Canberra time (15 minutes ago )...It is now to late to leave ....fingers crossed that life and property is not lost !!!!

This is an EMERGENCY WARNING level bushfire warning. SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY.

The fire is starting to spot close to Tharwa Village.

People in the areas of THARWA VILLAGE, BOBOYAN ROAD, APOLLO ROAD and TOP NAAS ROAD you should:

• SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. It is now too late to leave.
  • If you are not in the area, do not return.
  • The fire may pose a threat to all lives directly in its path. People in these suburbs are in danger and need to seek immediate shelter as the fire approaches.
  • Driving now is extremely dangerous and potentially deadly.

57 minutes ago, yanto said:

Just seen an update 21:01 Canberra time (15 minutes ago )...It is now to late to leave ....fingers crossed that life and property is not lost !!!!

This is an EMERGENCY WARNING level bushfire warning. SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY.

The fire is starting to spot close to Tharwa Village.

People in the areas of THARWA VILLAGE, BOBOYAN ROAD, APOLLO ROAD and TOP NAAS ROAD you should:

• SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. It is now too late to leave.
  • If you are not in the area, do not return.
  • The fire may pose a threat to all lives directly in its path. People in these suburbs are in danger and need to seek immediate shelter as the fire approaches.
  • Driving now is extremely dangerous and potentially deadly.

Those areas are just to the south of suburbia. The military and police are also door knocking elsewhere in far southern suburbs telling people to be prepared.

If you’re interested, listen to ABC Radio Canberra for what it’s like living with this type of fire closing in. It’s has all the community announcements like smoke masks for kids, evacuation centres, how to survive if caught in a fire while driving etc..

The Australian Capital Territory (ACT - it’s where Canberra is) has declared a state of emergency for the first time in 17 years. In 2003 around 500 homes were destroyed by fire.

The current worst case scenario for this weekend has the southern suburbs on fire.

26B1E0AF-2851-4DA0-B49D-7952E86A9CFF.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Copa said:

The Australian Capital Territory (ACT - it’s where Canberra is) has declared a state of emergency for the first time in 17 years. In 2003 around 500 homes were destroyed by fire.

The current worst case scenario for this weekend has the southern suburbs on fire.

26B1E0AF-2851-4DA0-B49D-7952E86A9CFF.jpeg

Does this include where you are?

Stay safe.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Does this include where you are?

Stay safe.

Fortunately I live in a separate part of the city. It’s crazy hot here now. The minimum temperature tonight will be 26 degrees Celsius.

Archived