Wristwatches

With having nothing better to do whilst having a latte on Maspalomas seafront this morning, myself and Mrs Moose decided to see how many people wore a wristwatch.

The result per hundred people of both sexes was 46 men and 29 women.

I then googled what the percentages for each sex was and it seems our survey was uncannily accurate, Google’s figures being 46 men and 28 women.

24 minutes ago, Moose said:

With having nothing better to do whilst having a latte on Maspalomas seafront this morning, myself and Mrs Moose decided to see how many people wore a wristwatch.

The result per hundred people of both sexes was 46 men and 29 women.

I then googled what the percentages for each sex was and it seems our survey was uncannily accurate, Google’s figures being 46 men and 28 women.

if your in maspalomas a wristwatch might be all some people are wearing!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

if your in maspalomas a wristwatch might be all some people are wearing!

Fairly low key in Maspalomas itself, it’s the walk along the sand dunes to Playa del Ingles that’s an eye opener, as I tell Mrs Moose everything looks bigger in the bright sunlight.

13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I got one this year..... first one since the 70s.

What make?

I only have one, a Swiss railway watch made by Mondaine, they’re a replica of the Clocks seen in every Swiss railway station. If the Swiss trust ‘em to run their train service by it’s good enough for me.

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Its only a hilfiger....

I was going to buy a tag heur..... costly. But as I've not used one for 40 years and I'm a clumsy sod, i thought i would buy one a lot less expensive..... just to see if i got fed up with it.... like i did in 79......

Hilfiger seems popular in the shops over here

Some wonderful bargains to be had by hundreds of entrepreneurial African business men out here, Rolex watches for €20, guaranteed genuine and with a lifetime guarantee ?

I always wear a watch when out of the house. Long habit. I like mechanical watches just because I get fed up of changing batteries! 

My wife got me a new Fossil watch for Christmas this year and it said “mechanical” although when you look closer it says “mechanical twist”. Again, you’d think that meant some variant but still fully mechanical. No... it’s battery powered quartz but the effectively decorative second hand is automatic mechanical (movement powered rather than wind up). That’s going back then because she’s unhappy about being conned. 

My main watch is another one where you can see the mechanics through the glass. I don’t know why I need another watch but my wife says I do...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

10 minutes ago, Moose said:

The opposite sex are strange creatures, I don’t understand her desire for numerous shades of lipstick and different kinds of moisturiser, but then neither can she understand me wanting 40/50 different T-shirts

Mine probably has more shoes than Imelda Marcos at her prime but she still wants more. I now have a lifetime beating five pairs and I still feel that’s an excessive amount.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Decathlon 10 euro watch for everyday use and work. Casio Sport trek for going out, Suunto Ambit for running and walking

Used to have a dress watch but that went in the burglary last year, so bought the Suunto with the insurance recompense

8 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Said Hilfiger watch. Cant remember its cost. The Tag i wanted was £1050.

This just seemed a nice watch for much less considering I'm clumsy enough to smash it to bits within a few months....

20191231_145515.jpg

I bought a watch off that there Amazon for £1, plus £1.49 postage. Came all the way from China. After six weeks the strap fell off... 

15 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I have worn digital battery watches for 20 years

I think I've had to change the batteries maybe every 3 years..... 

Sick of changing batteries CKN? 

Yep, sending them to get properly waterproof sealed after one shoddy replacement saw it leak in a simple rain soaking. It annoys me, I’ve a few watches sitting with dead batteries as I can’t be bothered getting them done.

I haven’t worn a watch for over 30 years.  I have never been in a situation where I have had no idea of the time of day.  You have clocks at home, in your car, in town/city centres, at work, on your phone etc. so why anyone would spend thousands on something that is now just an accessory is beyond my understanding.

10 hours ago, ckn said:

Yep, sending them to get properly waterproof sealed after one shoddy replacement saw it leak in a simple rain soaking. It annoys me, I’ve a few watches sitting with dead batteries as I can’t be bothered getting them done.

Replace your batteries and stop just buying new watches. The climate is changing and polar bears are dying largely due to you

7 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I haven’t worn a watch for over 30 years.  I have never been in a situation where I have had no idea of the time of day.  You have clocks at home, in your car, in town/city centres, at work, on your phone etc. so why anyone would spend thousands on something that is now just an accessory is beyond my understanding.

Mine cost £15 about 7 years ago and still works fine ?

52 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Replace your batteries and stop just buying new watches. The climate is changing and polar bears are dying largely due to you

Happy New Year to you as well...

I have 4 watches, all quartz. Three of them I wear regularly, while I've gone off the other one's look a bit, so it doesn't get as much use. No major or prestige manufacturer names - a Daniel Wellington, a Burei, A Skagen and an Aeromatic, mainly chosen for their contrasting looks. 

I also invested (very little money) in the correct gear for opening and closing them when the batteries need changing. A pry-bar, some mini screwdrivers and a press with a selection of nylon inserts to fit different-sized watches.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived