Who remembers this?

Trojan

34 minutes ago, Trojan said:

To be honest, Trojan, I have never heard it before, but I like it. 

The reference to scrums having push and test rugby being, from an Aussie perspective, the pinnacle of the game seem curiously nostalgic!

It seems to have come off the same conveyor belt of simple, unpretentious sporting songs as two other good Australian examples and an equally good North American one, namely Mike Brady's, Aussie Rules' Up there, Cazaley  and One day in September and Stompin' Tom Connors' The Hockey Song ('Good old hockey game').  These are all great songs; try not singing along when you have heard them a time or two! 

By contrast, if you haven't heard it, try Warren Zevon's Hit somebody!  (The hockey song)  Happily, it seems rather anachronistic now; cutting out much gratuitous violence has made the game much better in my opinion, especially at the level of skill on display routinely in the NHL.  Bob Hope's wonderful one-liner, "I went to a fight last night and a hockey match broke out", almost seems hard to understand nowadays.

Sorry, I have drifted off topic.  Thanks for the video, Trojan; as I say, a good song.

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 13:34, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Its actually very catchy... I like it

I think there was a British version with the lines "whether you play at Headingley, Wembley or Tulus (Toulouse) inserted

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Remember it well ?

carol decker was on celebrity chase tonight, she looked rougher than kevin wards old jockstrap 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived