Sign in to follow this  
Kayakman

Wolfpack Straight To the Top

2 hours ago, RobertAM said:

a clever architectural engineer could expand Lamport to perhaps 15k seating with covered stands but that would be it however there are plans in the works to build another sports venue at Exhibition Place immediately adjacent to Lamport and sellout crowds in 2020 would hasten that development. The new stadium would likely be covered meaning February games would be in Toronto once that happens.

Interesting. Where did you hear about these plans for a new Exhibition Stadium?

There was an outline in one of the papers last week and it contained the footprint of a new small stadium. will try n find it and post.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

There was an outline in one of the papers last week and it contained the footprint of a new small stadium. will try n find it and post.

Monday Jan 13th there is an open meeting about the future of Exhibition place organized by the local councilor..I plan to go and I'll see if there are any handouts

21 million Canadian dollars , obviously a roaring success 

At least it puts that one to bed 

SL clubs over here need to follow the Toronto business ' model ' 😂

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

Just as a side note (and could probably do with a thread to itself), the NRL seem to be publishing a lot of articles on Toronto, there seems to be much more interest in them than otherSL clubs. I just wonder would the NRL ever consider expanding to North America? Or the West Coast?

The flight time from Sydney would be ridiculous, even to the west coast. 

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Crazy when most sports teams in Europe are dropping femail dancers as part of the so called match entertainment that the colonies still think this is a good thing to advertise....

I don’t know what the problem with cheerleaders is, they’re just dancing and entertaining, no different to having a band or whatever. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Crazy when most sports teams in Europe are dropping femail dancers as part of the so called match entertainment that the colonies still think this is a good thing to advertise....

"SheWolves" was the name in the 2017 season, but the squad now includes some fellers and is called the Toronto Wolfpack Dance Team.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Please do not confuse She-wolves from the past

MV5BMjM4Mjk5OTg0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDMyMjAxMzE@._V1_UY268_CR87,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

That’s Dennis Waterman isn’t it? 

Maybe he’s writing the feem toon for TW next season? 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

From Toronto's point of view, money well spent. 

As a model for Super League clubs over here, this investment level is not currently realistic. They could, however, learn from certain aspects of the model, notably marketing and use of social media.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Bedsides the tackiness of it (“yeah go team”) and trying to manufacture an atmosphere as opposed to a real one, it’s very backward. 

2 hours ago, aj1908 said:

America isn't a colony lol it won the war of independance with the help of France the good guys 

*female 

Or are you sending them in the post 

😀

They are all colonies. Two groups of white imperialists fighting over someone else’s land. The good guys were the “savages” (quoting the tyrannical slaveowner Jefferson’s description of the natives in the “declaration of independence”...a document that was removed on Facebook by its anti-racism algorithm). I should try that..walk into someone else’s home, dehumanise them, then declare it mine. July 4th “is a day when we celebrate our resiliency, our culture, our languages, our children and we mourn the millions – literally millions – of indigenous people who have died as a consequence of American imperialism.”

https://www.mic.com/articles/121671/native-americans-have-nothing-to-celebrate-on-july-4#.Qst75mbCL

Regards Aussies, laughable they still have “Australia Day”. 

Edited by DC77

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

The likes of Toronto and New York could indeed be linchpins of a money-spinning league which could rival and even surpass the NRL, but the idea of little places like Warrington, Wigan and St Helens being part of such a league is fanciful.  Sooner or later Argyle will have to come to terms with that.

Burnley do it at football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

21m CAD is about £12m.

Not really a lot in the scheme of things. Especially considering that about £6m of that would come back of TV money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

21m CAD is about £12m.

Not really a lot in the scheme of things. Especially considering that about £6m of that would come back of TV money.

But not breaking even as some have suggested ?

So Parky's and others 10 million suggestion was about right 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

To be fair, they don't need to as they are not startups in an overseas territory where RL ain't a thing. If Salford took all the good things TWP had done so far the investment would likely be far less. 

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

Monday Jan 13th there is an open meeting about the future of Exhibition place organized by the local councilor..I plan to go and I'll see if there are any handouts

Happy new year Bob and "lang may yer lum reek".....google it.      I'd be interested in what transpires at the meeting if you'd care to share.   Thanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But not breaking even as some have suggested ?

So Parky's and others 10 million suggestion was about right 

'some' is the important word there. I'd add 'very few', maybe even a couple who have talked absolute guff. Probably about the same ratio as other clubs to be fair.

Nobody should be surprised by an investment of £10m so far. Its been pretty accepted tbh that as a startup business they were in the investment stage, apart from by those suggesting they should be making money from day 1.

But as with all things TWP the detail is lacking. I'd be far more interested in turnover at this stage, but as scotch highlights, there is a case in coming years for a couple of million in Central funding to be added to whatever they have. 

Edited by Dave T

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

'some' is the important word there. I'd add 'very few', maybe even a couple who have talked absolute guff. Probably about the same ratio as other clubs to be fair.

Indeed Dave , but when these ' few ' start asking for ' proof ' of costs when anybody with any common sense can see there had to be considerable investment , it does get a bit frustrating 

• Like 1

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Indeed Dave , but when these ' few ' start asking for ' proof ' of costs when anybody with any common sense can see there had to be considerable investment , it does get a bit frustrating 

You'll notice I get as frustrated as anyone with some of the discussion here, some threads become like negotiating with my 3 year old daughter, although I get more sense from her. 

But a few excitable people shouldn't detract from us being able to have sensible threads and discussion. 

3 hours ago, aj1908 said:

America isn't a colony lol it won the war of independance with the help of France the good guys 

*female 

Or are you sending them in the post 

😀

Thought we were talking about Canada marra, not the US .

However - I'm sure you know the British more or less (in the end) let the US win the War of Independence as after spending a fortune on the war the British Government saw it as a chance to make an even bigger fortune from the new country in trade if the war ended - which the UK did do for many years. This was a big issue for the Black colonists ( mainly slaves) at the time, as they wanted Britain to keep on ruling so they had more rights under the British than the new colonies that would form the USA eventually.

Full circle and a bit of RL related info, the last time the UK was invaded was when the American Navey invaded Whitehaven during this war  - we think that US influence is why Haven RL keep throwing forward passes to this day....🤣

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

That’s Dennis Waterman isn’t it? 

Maybe he’s writing the feem toon for TW next season? 

Ha ha, that was my first thought, its Dennis Waterman! 

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Nobody should be surprised by an investment of £10m so far. Its been pretty accepted tbh that as a startup business they were in the investment stage, apart from by those suggesting they should be making money from day 1.

But as with all things TWP the detail is lacking. I'd be far more interested in turnover at this stage, but as scotch highlights, there is a case in coming years for a couple of million in Central funding to be added to whatever they have. 

Can you explain just what the investment made was for. Is it for the future of the game in Canada or a springboard to their own concern?

Either way there’s nothing come out of it so far and how long until it does?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Can you explain just what the investment made was for. Is it for the future of the game in Canada or a springboard to their own concern?

Either way there’s nothing come out of it so far and how long until it does?

You mean is there yet a ' legacy ' for 10 million spent ? , What would happen if it ended tomorrow ? 

No , probably there isn't , and that would be it , so let's all hope Mr Argyle is happy to continue with whatever level is needed , hopefully that will diminish and he and the game does see some long term benefit for his huge commitment

• Like 3