How will they go this year? : player by player

Kayakman

11 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

My big annoyance lately is this:

Last year we were called a super league squad playing in the championship (some even said mid table I think)

This year we don't have SL quality at <insert position here>. Which is it? Besides worry from injury the quality is there!

Well the overall quality of Super League has gone up this year dontcha know? They've even got this big RU superstar coming in from New Zealand apparently.

Seriously, I think the 'experts' have been overestimating the strength of the SL bottom feeders and underestimating just how good the top Championship teams are. Witness the success of the Broncos last year and we were and are a better team than them. That's really why SL killed the Super 8s - to protect themselves from the embarrassment of having 1 or 2 of their (closed) ranks from going down every couple of years and the others having to actually stay ahead of the newcomers.

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Well the overall quality of Super League has gone up this year dontcha know? They've even got this big RU superstar coming in from New Zealand apparently.

Seriously, I think the 'experts' have been overestimating the strength of the SL bottom feeders and underestimating just how good the top Championship teams are. Witness the success of the Broncos last year and we were and are a better team than them. That's really why SL killed the Super 8s - to protect themselves from the embarrassment of having 1 or 2 of their (closed) ranks from going down every couple of years and the others having to actually stay ahead of the newcomers.

If the Super Eights had gone on any longer, there was a real risk that we would have seen 3-4 "Super League" sides go down in one season.

Both Toulouse and Toronto were unlucky that season.  Toulouse, London and Toronto all beat Super League clubs in the Eights.

Leigh, Featherstone, Widnes, etc are also no pushovers.  The bottom half of Super League are closer in quality to The Championship than they are to the likes of Warrington, Wigan and St Helens.

Archived