SL Forward Packs Ranked (not by me)

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-pack-ranking-2020-3694321

12. Giants

11. Wakey

10. Wolfpack

9. Red Devils

8. KR

7. Dragons

6. Tigers

5. Warriors

4. Rhinos

3. Wolves

2. FC

1. Saints

Don't think it's too far wide of the mark.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

11 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

yes just noticed that when I pressed like. although this seasons pack is as yet an unknown quantity

Prior seems a welcome addition.

A good pack is essential to succeed in RL and if that reflects the true nature of the packs, then it would also be close to finishing places. In that case FC aren’t as good as that IMO, as mentioned by OC. Toronto will want more from their pack or it will be a long season for Toronto fans.

9 hours ago, RayCee said:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/super-league-pack-ranking-2020-3694321

12. Giants

11. Wakey

10. Wolfpack

9. Red Devils

8. KR

7. Dragons

6. Tigers

5. Warriors

4. Rhinos

3. Wolves

2. FC

1. Saints

Don't think it's too far wide of the mark.

I would place the Wigan pack higher than 5th.  On paper the Leeds and FC are talented but they have to prove themselves as a unit first while Wigan have already done that and they have added a significant physical presence in George Burgess.  They also have some very talented young players pushing for regular starts.

I would probably put Wigan equal second with Wire behind Saints.

That is not to say that Leeds and FC haven't recruited well, there should be some good forward battles in 2020.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Hull FC 2nd and Leeds 4th is bizarre based on the last few seasons.

I think Wigan's is stronger than it has been for some time with some real size so cant understand why they would be 5th. All the young players from last year now have a years experience under their belts and more conditioning for Super League now too.

I like threads like this but for this to be more accurate I reckon you need to look at the interchange pack players as well. The reality is most starting props these days (barring a few unbelievable specimens) do about 50 minutes so you have to factor in what is coming off the bench for them. 

I've had a little go at predicting interchange benches and how that may change the order of above - 

1. Saints - LMS, M Lees, K Amor, A Smith or Jr Paulo 

2. Wigan - Ben Flower, Mitch Clark, Morgan Smithies, O Partington or J Bullock

3. Warrington - Ben M-M, S Akauola, J Clark, Danny Walker or S Kibula

4. Hull - J Bowden, M Matongo, G Ellis, A Savelio or B Fash

5. Leeds - B Dwyer, A Cuthbertson, M Oledzki, L Sutcliffe or J Donaldson

6. Cas - A Milner, O Holmes, G Griffin, J Moors or A Foster

7. Dragons - B Garcia, J Batieri, J Bousquet, M Simon or A Da Costa

8. Wakefield - K Tanginoa, T Arona, C Kopczak, G King or J Wood

9. Salford - G Dudson, T McCarthy, A Walker, G Burke or J Ormondroyd

10. Hull KR - R Mulhern, D Hadley, D Murray, Jez Litten or Kyle Trout

11. Huddersfield - P Clough, O Roberts, J Wardle, O Trout or A Murphy

12. Toronto - D Lussick, G Springer, A Mullally, T Olbison or A Ackers

Obviously some teams will recruit a couple more players but that's how I see it when taking into account starting strength plus options off the bench. 

Edit: I should add I don't entirely agree with who Hull Daily Mail have said will start for each team (Eg. I reckon Ben Flower starts over T Clubb) however I've used that to base who I think then starts off the bench. 

29 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I like threads like this but for this to be more accurate I reckon you need to look at the interchange pack players as well. The reality is most starting props these days (barring a few unbelievable specimens) do about 50 minutes so you have to factor in what is coming off the bench for them. 

I've had a little go at predicting interchange benches and how that may change the order of above - 

1. Saints - LMS, M Lees, K Amor, A Smith or Jr Paulo 

2. Wigan - Ben Flower, Mitch Clark, Morgan Smithies, O Partington or J Bullock

3. Warrington - Ben M-M, S Akauola, J Clark, Danny Walker or S Kibula

4. Hull - J Bowden, M Matongo, G Ellis, A Savelio or B Fash

5. Leeds - B Dwyer, A Cuthbertson, M Oledzki, L Sutcliffe or J Donaldson

6. Cas - A Milner, O Holmes, G Griffin, J Moors or A Foster

7. Dragons - B Garcia, J Batieri, J Bousquet, M Simon or A Da Costa

8. Wakefield - K Tanginoa, T Arona, C Kopczak, G King or J Wood

9. Salford - G Dudson, T McCarthy, A Walker, G Burke or J Ormondroyd

10. Hull KR - R Mulhern, D Hadley, D Murray, Jez Litten or Kyle Trout

11. Huddersfield - P Clough, O Roberts, J Wardle, O Trout or A Murphy

12. Toronto - D Lussick, G Springer, A Mullally, T Olbison or A Ackers

Obviously some teams will recruit a couple more players but that's how I see it when taking into account starting strength plus options off the bench. 

Edit: I should add I don't entirely agree with who Hull Daily Mail have said will start for each team (Eg. I reckon Ben Flower starts over T Clubb) however I've used that to base who I think then starts off the bench. 

Great post - and absolutely the forward packs need to include the bench players.

I pretty much agree with the order above and it really shows how the top sides become even more apparent when you look at the quality coming off the bench.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived